It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA Undermines North Korea Summit By Leaking Report To Media Asset

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+38 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Just as it was reported that the summit between the United States and North Korea was back on and that Kim Young Chol, the Vice Chairman of North Korea was on his way to New York to meet with officials in preparation for the June 12 summit, the CIA leaked an intelligence assessment concluding that “North Korea does not intend to give up its nuclear weapons any time soon.” The timing of this leak is striking, as it seems to be an effort to undermine negotiations between the two nations and comes just days after ranking members of the Democratic Party and Republican hardliners attacked President Donald Trump over his efforts to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

The identity of the reporter who helped break the story also raises serious questions about whether or not a faction within the CIA deliberately attempted to undermine diplomatic efforts to ease tensions on the Korean Peninsula. According to NBC News, the report was leaked to none other than NBC national security reporter Ken Dilanian, known as “The CIA’s Mop-Up Man.”

In 2014, The Intercept reported on Ken Dilanian’s correspondence and relationship with the CIA while Dilanian was a reporter for the Los Angeles Times.

According to The Intercept, “Email exchanges between CIA public affairs officers and Ken Dilanian, now an Associated Press intelligence reporter who previously covered the CIA for the Times, show that Dilanian enjoyed a close collaborative relationship with the agency, explicitly promising positive news coverage and sometimes sending the press office entire story drafts for review prior to publication. In at least one instance, the CIA’s reaction appears to have led to significant changes in the story that was eventually published in the Times.”

In the aftermath of the revelations about Dilanian’s ties to the CIA, he was disavowed by the Los Angeles Times. The disclosure of Dilanian’s collaboration with the CIA also led his former employer, David Lauter of the Tribune Washington to believe Dilanian could have violated Tribune news policy. Lauter acknowledged that Tribune policy dictates that reporters “not share copies of stories outside the newsroom.” Lauter further stated that he was “disappointed that the emails indicate that Ken may have violated that rule.”

www.zerohedge.com...
This story is disturbing if true for many reasons.

It seems as if someone inside the cia wants to stop trumps attempts at a summit with North korea, and they are leaking documents to their mouthpiece Dilanian to do it.

Who knows, perhaps the assessment is correct, and Kim will never release his nuclear program. But its seems very unethical for someone in the cia to be purposefully leaking info to discredit trumps attempts before they happen.

+12 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Unfortunately, regional stability could see reductions in their budget. They’re protecting their payroll at the expense of a safer East Asia. God forbid that we are able to reduce intelligence assets and military presence on the Korean Peninsula. I don’t care who the president is or what my personal feelings on him are. This would be a good thing if it happens and a far preferable solution to a decapition strike at NK’s leadership. It almost seems like some factions of our government would prefer open war.
edit on 1-6-2018 by peter vlar because: Spelling counts

+36 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   
It is becoming clear that a few agencies within the Government are another Government we the people did not elect nor have say into their motivations or actions.

The invisibility illusion that the intelligence community has groomed to fly under the radar is slowly being exposed and it isn't pretty.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Grambler, have you watched "A Good American" on netflix yet?

this is worth your time. It explains explicitly why the IC would want war over peace. (contractors)
MIC. The one's we were warned about so many years ago.

+18 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Thank god the Deep State has become a house hold term.

For all of these decades of attempting to point this out to people, whether it was the liberal or conservative side of the isle simply mocked the notion of an insidious evil operating in the shadows.

Say what you will about Trump, but he has done more in the past year and a half to expose this evil for the American public to see, at this point it people it is blatant.

And if anyone chooses to remain ignorant of it, they are the problem.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

Unfortunately we're not the only country who has people willing to undermine peace efforts.

As it stands North Korea is a necessary evil.

If peace breaks out who assists North Korea? Who pays the bills? Should the borders open or dissolve, who takes the refugees who literally have no concept of a world outside of the one that has been constructed in their minds?

Those are all questions that scare the living # out of South Korea, Japan, and China.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Nope, this would indicate that a 'deep state' faction is operating to undermine our sitting president in order to maintain the status quo.

But the left says day in, day out that there is no 'deep state'... that it's simply a right wing conspiracy theory. So if they say so, it must be true!, right?!

As if we haven't known for decades, that for over a century there has been a faceless government pulling the strings in the shadows of the known government.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Generally speaking, I am a fan of leaks when they pertain to governmental bs...however, a leak like this serves no real purpose other than to cause friction towards an event coming up.

dirty game with consequences. This won't really do anything positive or negative for Trump, but it might indeed make NK gunshy, which means Joe Korea living his life in NK is going to suffer longer before things turn a corner.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: six67seven
Nope, this would indicate that a 'deep state' faction is operating to undermine our sitting president in order to maintain the status quo.

But the left says day in, day out that there is no 'deep state'... that it's simply a right wing conspiracy theory. So if they say so, it must be true!, right?!

As if we haven't known for decades, that for over a century there has been a faceless government pulling the strings in the shadows of the known government.

Whatever can be done or not about the deep state, we all saw Bolton on TV trying to torpedo the meeting. Start by getting him out.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: MetalThunder
It is becoming clear that a few agencies within the Government are another Government we the people did not elect nor have say into their motivations or actions.

The invisibility illusion that the intelligence community has groomed to fly under the radar is slowly being exposed and it isn't pretty.

And we can't lean on the MSM to inform us on the intricacies of the 'other government'.

Thank God or Al Gore for the internet!

We'll see if the US tries to steal the internet from us like the EU is currently doing.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Meh, just more the Deep State meddling to embarass Trump.

The reality of the two governments at work is becoming ever more clear. You have the elected political government which is supposed to operate as a puppet of the Deep State Government.

Eventually the Deep State is going to run into a problem when Americans no longer send off their youth to fight the Deep State wars. I guess the Deep State will follow Putin's lead then and hire mercenaries to protect its poppy fields in Afghanistan and its coc aine fields in Columbia.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: peter vlar

Unfortunately we're not the only country who has people willing to undermine peace efforts.

As it stands North Korea is a necessary evil.

If peace breaks out who assists North Korea? Who pays the bills? Should the borders open or dissolve, who takes the refugees who literally have no concept of a world outside of the one that has been constructed in their minds?

Those are all questions that scare the living # out of South Korea, Japan, and China.

I've held the suspicion that SK didn't want unification/reconciliation as it would have been a financial setback of near biblical proportions. That the SK leadership only moved recently in that direction for fear of a unilateral strike by Trump which would expose Seoul to massive potential damage.(rightfully)

Apparently a nuclear power with ICBMs shifts that view.

I now believe Japan, SK and China support Trump in varying degrees in his actions with NK. Just speculation on my part, though.
edit on 1-6-2018 by nwtrucker because: Spell check sucks

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Not some JFK fan boy here, but this i why is his supposed quote "splinter the C.I.A. in a thousand pieces and scatter it to the winds" is so telling, imagine how powerful it's become now. They have very little or no oversight, and while certain quasi illegal activities can be be semi justified even in the modern world have no doubt that some aspects of it is manipulative as hell to our own detriment.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Leak bait to flush out more bad actors.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Many ways to reach out to him and his audiance to let him know this isn't tolerable. @KenDilanianNBC
edit on 1-6-2018 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

I've held the suspicion that SK didn't want unification/reconciliation as it would have been a financial setback of near biblical proportions. 

I think you (and everyone else in the West) does not understand how badly SK wants reunification.

That is a great reason (and there are many more) why you would not want a NK collapse/reunification if you are China and share a border, though.

If it happens it will probably be through a slow, federalized process. With lots of international aid. If it comes to a collapse, you're juwt as likely to see another war break out than peaceful assimilation.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
That's very strange. I wish we all had the clearances to know what the intel was!

The first step would be to bring that intel to the White House and present it to those that make decisions regarding this intel, especially with a summit coming.

A number of us already thought that Kim Jong-un was deceiving and playing games, as is customary for him and his regime -- that also means he may have been intending on making a fool out of our president or worse, made an attack on his life.

Serious question: If the CIA has such intel and they bring it to the WH but, let's just assume for the sake of argument -- the WH decides to ignore such info and wants to go ahead and risk lives -- is it the the CIA's obligation to protect the President and our country still?

We don't know what happened here, but IF and I really mean IF... IF the intel is getting ignored and lives are at stake, I think this is the right way to expose NK and prevent that.

I wanna know more.
edit on 1-6-2018 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: toms54

originally posted by: six67seven

Whatever can be done or not about the deep state, we all saw Bolton on TV trying to torpedo the meeting. Start by getting him out.

I'm not sure about Bolton quite yet. Trump may not be the 8D chess player some claim, but he's a smart guy, and had a reason for bringing Bolton in, knowing his reputation. Once he is used up, he will be discarded. But I still think he has a purpose in the NK thing.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

No the cia is not allowed to undermine the preisdents foriegn policy because they disagree with it.

Now perhaps if the president was actively sabotaging the country, then yes.

But that is no where near what is happening here.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   
There are some people in these intelligence agencies and even the military that do not want peace. Their services are more needed if there is conflict everywhere. Although I do not trust kim, I think we should show effort to try to create a better working relationship if he does stop his nuclear obsession and tries to become less militarized. Maybe we can end the big turmoil between the north and south and they can both cut down their military machine. Lots of companies do not like that happening, the leak could have been made because of a military contractor wanted conflict and persuaded a someone in the CIA to block peace.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join