It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charlotte Fox

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I am in no way, shape or form even close to being in her league. When I found out today that she had passed, from what I can only say is an ironic twist of fate, I was saddened. She was a bit older than me, but as one who followed/follows the 'climbers' / 'rock jocks' and their journeys...I was somewhat saddened by her leaving this place.

Charlotte Fox was found dead in her home May 24 at age 61. Friends who were staying with Fox during Mountainfilm weekend reportedly found her at the bottom of stairs in the house. San Miguel County Coroner Emil Sante said Tuesday he is waiting for results of a toxicology report and hasn't yet released the cause and manner of death, but foul play is not suspected

www.thedenverchannel.com... s/local-news/1996-everest-blizzard-survivor-found-dead-in-telluride-home
She still chased her dreams, up until the end and I hope that I am strong enough to do the same.

Fox will forever have a place in climbing lore as a member of a party that ran into disaster on Mount Everest in May 1996. She and then-boyfriend Tim Madsen were in an expedition being guided by Scott Fischer. Fox and Madsen summited but a number of calamities affected the group's descent. They were eventually part of an exhausted group that huddled in a blizzard, desperate to find their camp. Everybody's oxygen had run out and the wind chill exceeded 100 degrees below zero, according to Jon Krakauer's best-selling book about the incident, "Into Thin Air." Fox is quoted as saying the cold had just about finished her off by the time they huddled. "The cold was so painful, I didn't think I could endure it anymore," Fox said in the book. "I just curled up in a ball and hoped death would come quickly."

Eight people died that day.
www.aspentimes.com...
Just a really strong and cool human IMO. I would love to be like that!
www.everesthistory.com...
edit on 31-5-2018 by TNMockingbird because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I don't mean to be insensitive, but it's a bit ironic that this iconic climber died...climbing her stairs.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TinkerHaus

You are absolutely correct! The irony!!!

I told my kiddos, after learning this, to keep an eye on me in the garden as I would likely succumb to some random plant virus with no cure. I live in my garden these days.
Unfortunately our hills here are difficult to die from.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Nvm.

edit on 5/31/2018 by japhrimu because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TinkerHaus

That's not your average day-to-day irony: that is the 9-11, the Pearl Harbor, the Revelation of ironies. I will be performing penance tonight for cracking an idiotic grin when I read this. Still, the woman was a badass.

top topics

join