It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada to hit U.S. with retaliatory tariffs in response to Trump’s steel tariffs

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   

When is the end?

Doom... the doom has come the apocalypse is near, repent repent and be saved...

was that ok?

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

When is the end?

Doom... the doom has come the apocalypse is near, repent repent and be saved...

was that ok?

Trump did it so it's making America Great!

How was that..
Even though he failed out of Fordham and ran his companies into the ground.

Thankfully he is a good pr guy

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: loam
a reply to: Southern Guardian
I'll put money down that they'll retreat and we come out on top.

How much?

One yen.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: sine.nomine
One yen.

At the current exchange rate? Or when this # show is over?

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   
The stupid thing about this is Canada and America's imports and exports are so convoluted and wrapped up in eachother...this whole thing is stupid. God just look how many imports and exports between the countries are reexports anyway.
www.statcan.gc.ca...

The way it works is stupid....trade tariffs from both countries is pointless and NAFTA really needs a proper renegotiation.
edit on 31/5/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
The way it works is stupid....trade tariffs from both countries is pointless and NAFTA really needs a proper renegotiation.

A proper negotiation is a technical impossibility when one party is firm in the belief that trade is a zero sum game.

A proper negotiation begins by acknowledging the simple fact that the 3 of us are stronger together then we are apart.

Doubling down on the stupid with extortion may have removed any possibility of renegotiations. Only time will tell now.

link   

originally posted by: dug88
NAFTA really needs a proper renegotiation.

Which in the end is the entire point behind these tariffs.

link   

originally posted by: luthier

originally posted by: nwtrucker

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Southern Guardian

And so it begins. . . . .

The Tradepocalypse.

I will be selling everything I own because, we are all doomed.

Not a real free market move.

What's wrong with negotiating for a better trade deal?

Better for who? Not the consumer or the exporter.

If we keep losing jobs due to foreign gov't subsidies, such as the steel imports from Canada. There won't be enough paying jobs to 'consume' those 'cheaper' imported products or exporters left to 'export'.

I thought unemployment is the lowest it's been and we have a job surplus.

Which is it?

And we don't have factory jobs we have service jobs. It is the nature of a stronger economy. Better jobs.

I was talking the overall industrial base. Yes, things are picking up, job-wise. Tariffs compensate for foreign gov't subsidies that undercut our non-subsidized industries. We 'could' also start subsidies for our industries,as well. But then the left would scream bloody blue murder, yes?

Either they negotiate with us or we have no alternative but to subsidize or implement tariffs or we never will get any industry back that we've lost, continue losing even more business to foreign competition or have what's left in-country move out like so many others have.

If you have a better solution, I'm all ears.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
And so it begins. Canada is roughly on parity with the US in terms of imports and exports so it will be interesting to what if any impact is made at all.

Not exactly. The US exports a very large percentage of goods manufactured in foreign countries to Canada. That's the lion's share of the US' exports north... serving as a middle man. In other words, it financially benefits stock holders and investors, but does little to nothing for US workers. Let Canada tax what we export to them... it won't impact this country's middle class in any way whatsoever.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

*shrugs* I didn't vote for the guy, but trying to get some leverage in our trade deals which have benefited everyone but us... I think is a good thing.

Might work... might not, but if we do nothing then their is a 100% chance we keep taking the short end of the stick.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   
So this is how it will work.

Trump will make a show of this. (already has, tv and internet are all pulling hair out of their heads)

Lots of bluster and grandstanding.

Then talks.

Then a deal which will be at some benefit to America that everyone can live with.

Finally another win.

If you havn't been paying attention, this is the mainstay strategy.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
Not exactly. The US exports a very large percentage of goods manufactured in foreign countries to Canada. That's the lion's share of the US' exports north... serving as a middle man. In other words, it financially benefits stock holders and investors, but does little to nothing for US workers. Let Canada tax what we export to them... it won't impact this country's middle class in any way whatsoever.

Bush said that when he did the same tariffs.

Doubt the 200,000 Americans that lost jobs concurred.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420
A proper negotiation begins by acknowledging the simple fact that the 3 of us are stronger together then we are apart.

But we're not. Mexico certainly is, Canada may be a push either way, but the USA is notably weaker than our potential when part of NAFTA. Why does that matter? As an American I can honestly say that Mexico and Canada's economies aren't any of my country's concern... If abandoning NAFTA benefits the USA even $1 dollar above what being part of NAFTA benefits us, then it is absolutely the POTUS' job to exit this nation from NAFTA. We elected him to Make AMERICA Great Again, not continue a long standing tradition of placating and coddling foreign countries who not only aren't on our level economically, but should be constantly struggling against the USA as we take every single possible advantage we can grab to ensure this nation stays on top of the mountain. And yes, I would expect Canadians to feel the same about Canada and Mexicans to feel the same about Mexico. Borders exist for a reason and when the spoils of a zero sum game exceed the spoils of "partnerships," it's time to start viewing it as a zero sum game.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Which country is strongest and will be the last one standing in an all-out trade War?

I put my money on the United States of America.

I wouldn't ! Trump has picked on all the rest of the Kids in Schools all across town!

US will get it's arse Kicked.. you cant win em all!

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: peck420

do we need to import or can we import?

Seems to me we can produce most if not all the aluminum and steel we need through aggressive recycling. Clean up scrapyards and landfills. Melt down ghost fleets. There's lots of old metal in the US just rusting away. More money for scrappers and a cleaner environment, which should make the Global Warming crowd happy.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron
Awesome! Let's see how many fights we can pick in the shortest amount of time with other kids on the playground.

Whoever picks the most fights by the end of recess wins!

That's what our foreign policy feels like.

And then one day,all the kids we picked on will have had enough. And learn that if they work together, that they could grab us by the hair and kick the $Hit out of us.
We need to stop trying to be the boss of the world.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Bush said that when he did the same tariffs.

Doubt the 200,000 Americans that lost jobs concurred.

Different era, different dynamics. The US has lost a lot of our production industry since Bush. Trump is doing this to try to bring that back. It's difficult to understand, but look at radiation therapy on cancerous cells. If you irradiate healthy tissue, you'll get cancer. If you irradiate cancerous tissue, you'll kill the cancer and sometimes see healthy tissue take it's place. Bush irradiated healthy tissue, which was stupid as all hell. This policy is targeting the cancers formed during the Bush Sr, Clinton, and Bush Jr days. NAFTA is cancer, pure and simple.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

You are correct, it was different.

That time, tariffs didn't apply to your primary suppliers. This time it does.

Granted, since you are so economically illiterate that you believe NAFTA was bad for the US, I doubt there is any actual facts that will sway your opinion.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Granted, since you are so economically illiterate that you believe NAFTA was bad for the US.

One of my minors was in macroeconomics... stop before you start enjoying the taste of your own foot.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   
We should just annex Canada. It isn’t like they could do anything about it except write a strongly worded letter.

edit on 2018/5/31 by Metallicus because: Sp

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join