It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada to hit U.S. with retaliatory tariffs in response to Trump’s steel tariffs

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
Canada Mexico and UK has fired back with targeted tariffs against the US. Targeting who? More like where, they are targeting industry in red states such as whiskey and pork, etcetera. Basically, tariffs will target industries based in red states costing jobs in those states.

The timing is bad for Republicans going into midterm.

If they target red states, they will feel the wrath of Trump like they have never felt before. If you think any of this is going to prevent Trump, or the Republicans from winning, you're crazy. The Democrats are digging a hole so deep they're never going to get out.

Mark my words when I tell you this, Republicans are going to be in a very, very, very strong position for the next 6 years. Very Strong.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheGOAT

Canada Mexico and UK has fired back with targeted tariffs against the US. Targeting who? More like where, they are targeting industry in red states such as whiskey and pork, etcetera. Basically, tariffs will target industries based in red states costing jobs in those states.

If they target red states, they will feel the wrath of Trump like they have never felt before. If you think any of this is going to prevent Trump, or the Republicans from winning, you're crazy. The Democrats are digging a hole so deep they're never going to get out.

Mark my words when I tell you this, Republicans are going to be in a very, very, very strong position for the next 6 years. Very Strong.

The Republican party doesn't support tariffs.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
after thinking about this a bit more and looking at american trade policy since the reciprocal tariff act, i don't think he has a goal with these tariffs, i think his real intention is to test things out, to see how the economy will be effected, how the public will respond, how other nations and corporations will respond, to get a feel for what his future goals should be.

i'm of the opinion that trump is doing this to learn how to be a better president, to get a better understanding of what to do, you can't forget the fact that trump has never been part of politics before, he has to learn somehow and doesn't have much support from people who could advise him more directly.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

This may be true. But not for the owner of a business with supply lines.

I have a small business. If I pay more for material, I charge more for the finished product. All of my competitors have to do the same. Once again, it is the end consumer paying the price.

If I can buy material in the US for less than material in Canada, fine, that's what I do. If I can get material from a Canadian supplier for substantially less, that's what I do.

If they are equal price, I buy American. I'm biased that way.

Whether I buy from the US or Canada, the only way it hurts Canadian suppliers is if they can't sell to anyone else. I don't think that's the case with aluminum and steel.

I often sell to middle-men who sell what I make to someone else. It's worth it to me because some of the companies they deal with can be a PITA, and I don't have to deal with them or with storage. If the middle-men decide to raise their prices and I'm comfortable with what I'm getting, I don't feel the need to "retaliate" by charging more or looking for other middle-men.

But then, I'm not a greedy man. I'm just looking to make a living, not a killing.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Sorry, I should have said "The New Republican Party", not the swamp creatures of old.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Sorry, I should have said "The New Republican Party", not the swamp creatures of old.

The new republican party now supports government interference in the market, less freedom, and higher taxes.

Thank god I am an independent.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron
Would you rather go to the playground and pay extortion money to the bullies or run free and equal on that playground? The way things were set up was that the wealthy investors send out their manufacturing to other countries cheap and in return paid little tariff when the goods came back into the country. Our goods were tariffed at a greater percentage going into China, Canada and Mexico. NOT FAIR!! This tariff has the Koch brothers upset because it will hit their pocketbook. Don't you Trump haters and liberals hate the Koch Brothers? It was Thomas Jefferson who thought government could be run by tariffs on imports rather than tax the people.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ansuzrune
a reply to: Kharron
Would you rather go to the playground and pay extortion money to the bullies or run free and equal on that playground? The way things were set up was that the wealthy investors send out their manufacturing to other countries cheap and in return paid little tariff when the goods came back into the country. Our goods were tariffed at a greater percentage going into China, Canada and Mexico. NOT FAIR!! This tariff has the Koch brothers upset because it will hit their pocketbook. Don't you Trump haters and liberals hate the Koch Brothers? It was Thomas Jefferson who thought government could be run by tariffs on imports rather than tax the people.

That was before we were a superpower.

It's a pretty huge misunderstanding to equate trade imbalance of the premier nation on earth and global currency as being held hostage. It's freedom of choice for consumers and business owners.

A small shop can buy a Chinese cnc machine for 1/4 the price and employ Americans to produce a product.

It isn't as simple as trump makes it sound.

Anything having to do with economic government intervention should be done in baby steps or you run the risk of destroying lives and businesses.

Good deeds and good intentions are as far apart as heaven and hell.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Actually, the US is about to get good lesson in the ramifications of using Canada like a pawn.

Your steel tarrifs don't even hurt. I buy mllions of dollars of steel every year and increased notices are like sales brochures. Get a grip.

It was a bluff by Trump and now we are going to f¥ck his sh!t up. He didn't have a card to play as usual. Canada will finally get some respect from the US after this.

ETA: steel prices have gone up 33% from our suppliers since January. I have a PDF of my notices of someone tells me how to upload it. I guess I could do screen shots if you care but like these tartifs... *yawn*
edit on pSat, 02 Jun 2018 19:07:39 -05002018 139Sat, 02 Jun 2018 19:07:39 -0500pmAmerica/ChicagoSaturday by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

A Tax cut is higher taxes? how so?

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

Tariff=tax.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   

But their is no other choice. You can either vote for Republicans, Independents, or Libertarians. Unless you want the free world destroyed by the DNC devils.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Tariff=tax.

Trump is only putting tariffs on countries who have tariffs on the USA. Once we have a level playing field our deficit problems will have a chance to go away.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I listen to Gerald Celente. I feel he is correct. We have the greatest amount of resources on the planet here in this country. We do not need these multinational NWO idiots. It is a set up. We the USA are being set up for failure and you can bet on it. The global conspiracy cannot tolerate our Constitution. They cannot disarm this nation thus can't take us over by force. BUT THEY SURE CAN CREATE TRADE DEFICITS AND BRING US DOWN FINANCIALLY. We could go on and on but logic will say this is the pattern. This is how the globalists will work it. Trump may or may not be in their little club. Sure seems like he is not to me. If he turns out to be then I will stand corrected and once again be disappointed.

edit on 2-6-2018 by Ansuzrune because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Try to stay informed. There is no IF they already have targeted red states very selectively with retaliatory tariffs.

They are tariffing goods produced by large companies in those states as well as tariffing goods that would have been produced from aluminum and steel. Such targeted tariffs will affect local economies probably causing layoffs or even closings. Trump is an idiot for starting this. It isn't the Democrats digging a hole it is Trump.

It is already starting to hurt those states where Republican senators and congressman are sweating. They are panicking asking for help from democrats to pass bills to block Trump's insane tariffs.

Have fun in the midterms.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Doctor Smith

Tariff=tax.

Trump is only putting tariffs on countries who have tariffs on the USA. Once we have a level playing field our deficit problems will have a chance to go away.

That is a gross misunderstanding of how powerful mixed markets work. As wealthy consumers we require more goods and can afford them cheaper. Since we have high employment there is no need to restrict trade. Lower level economies do this because of employment problems and some are generally just high tax nations.

The way trump is proposing to "fix" this problem can create a major problem for years. Leading to high prices and collapses of industry and supply lines. What about the American shops using imports or machinery? What about the inflation?

What if in that time China overcomes the us?

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Ansuzrune

Ok? I listen to many sources as to not be manipulated into a viewpoint. Which usually has the object of selling books or products..

We do not have the infrastructure to create every product Americans costume. This is just a fact. Tell natural resources need to be refined and created into artifacts. The infrastructure that would require takes decades and training.

Meanwhile someone else using more free trade takes over.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Hitler thought US women were weak and did nothing. We converted our factories into war factories quickly and certainly surprised him. Same here. We have the infrastructure and can be created if we so desire.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ansuzrune
Hitler thought US women were weak and did nothing. We converted our factories into war factories quickly and certainly surprised him. Same here. We have the infrastructure and can be created if we so desire.

This is entirely irrelevant. It has nothing to do with reality.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Doctor Smith

Tariff=tax.

You don't understand trade deficits. Basically you consume more foreign goods than you export. It's that simple.And Trump is making you pay more for those goods.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join