It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada to hit U.S. with retaliatory tariffs in response to Trump’s steel tariffs

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Just so you know. I akwnowledge the problem.

I just don't think it's a cut the arm of for a bug bite situation.

The consequences and danger of lives and businesses being ruined is not worth the approach. Trying to fix this over night with tariffs is just silly. Not only that can be very damaging.

China like to limit freedom should we emulate them so we can compete?

Nah. We have decades of new deals to negotiate, we don't need the short term.solution..

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: nwtrucker

originally posted by: UnBreakable
Oh no, I'll have to pay more for my pancake syrup and that carbonated urine Molson. Damn that Casper Milquetoast Justin Trudeau.

Something that has not been mentioned here is the cost of all these shenanigans to the American tourist industry. I noticed that New York's Finger Lakes region had a 4-page spread in the Toronto Star this past weekend. I'm guessing that they are hurting because a lot of Canadians who normally headed south for their vacations are choosing to spend their tourist bux elsewhere. I was talking to a friend the other day who had chosen a Rhine River cruise because she has she has vowed not to spend any money on U.S. visits until Trump is gone. Another spent a month in a DR resort rather than their normal Florida winter rental for the same reason. America used to be a friendly place. Now, not so much. Sure...piss off Canadians...but it's not just the government who retaliates.

Your right. It's not just the government that retaliates. Guess what? That's a two way street. So go ahead, Mr Trudeau supporter, piss off Americans....

You're going to cancel your annual trip?

I know we're going to do a quick drive-through instead of sticking around this summer.

I live, literally, 100 yards from the border. I have family on both sides of the border and interests in both nations.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Oh no, I'll have to pay more for my pancake syrup and that carbonated urine Molson. Damn that Casper Milquetoast Justin Trudeau.

Something that has not been mentioned here is the cost of all these shenanigans to the American tourist industry. I noticed that New York's Finger Lakes region had a 4-page spread in the Toronto Star this past weekend. I'm guessing that they are hurting because a lot of Canadians who normally headed south for their vacations are choosing to spend their tourist bux elsewhere. I was talking to a friend the other day who had chosen a Rhine River cruise because she has she has vowed not to spend any money on U.S. visits until Trump is gone. Another spent a month in a DR resort rather than their normal Florida winter rental for the same reason. America used to be a friendly place. Now, not so much. Sure...piss off Canadians...but it's not just the government who retaliates.

Your right. It's not just the government that retaliates. Guess what? That's a two way street. So go ahead, Mr Trudeau supporter, piss off Americans....

I know we're going to do a quick drive-through instead of sticking around this summer.

I live, literally, 100 yards from the border. I have family on both sides of the border and interests in both nations.

You know? I think I knew that. So let me know when you retaliate, m'kay?

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   

You know? I think I knew that. So let me know when you retaliate, m'kay?

Just to point out, I didn't say me, at all. There will be those in the U.S. who will. Just as some Canadians, will.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I must be missing something about all this trade war talk. Maybe someone could explain it to me.

Suppose the Canadian steel company CANCO Ltd. produces steel at a cost of $1/lb. They export for $1.50/lb to the American manufacturer MuriMetal. Now, if the US slaps a .10/lb tariff on the steel, who pays it? Murimetal, right? Murimetal will most likely pass on the cost to their customers.

It doesn't cost CANCO any more to produce the steel. They sell at the same price. They are not financially affected in any way. If, for some reason, MuriMetal buys less steel from CANCO, then CANCO can always sell their excess steel to some other country for the same price. If the steel is in demand, someone will buy it.

So, why does the Canadian government feel the need to "retaliate" on behalf of CANCO? CANCO isn't paying the tariff, the Canadian government isn't paying the tariff, the tariff doesn't cost Canada a dime.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Well it hurts coming back the other way that's for sure for example lets take Vermont Maple syrup, first of all Canada has a robust market in Quebec for that product they can easily supply all of Canada. But lets say there is a company like this one that would like to sell it's product into Canada.
Maple Syrup

They sell there 1/2 gallon for $38 USD and a 25% percent exchange rate plus another 10% tariff and you are priced right out of the market.

Compare to this Canadian Maple Syrup
And an American can save another 25% off that price because it's in CAD $

So yeah you can see how it's going to hurt American exporters, interestingly Americans should be buying the much cheaper Canadian version as well.

Bottom line is not only do American exporters have to face the high dollar but another 10% on top of that now for all those goods hit by Tariffs.

The one thing Trump did say that I fully agree with, is that Mexico and Canada need separate deals.
Let's remember some history here that should buy Canada some level of good will, were Mexican soldiers with America on D-Day getting slaughtered on the beaches of Normandy? Did the Mexicans have America's back during the Iran hostage crisis? I could go on but the point is made.

edit on 1-6-2018 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420

originally posted by: toysforadults
good, let's see what you're made of Canada, not worried

grow balls Americans stop cry babying every time someone makes a move

Interesting comment since your president stated that renegotiating NAFTA would be easy.

You, and Trump, will find Canada far more resilient then anticipated.

Trump just started the negotiations. His way, on his terms.

Now sit back, and watch.

To quote Luke Skywalker... This is not going to go the way you think.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

I've read and re-read your post and I think either I'm missing your point or you're missing mine.

Let's go with your maple syrup example.

Canada can produce maple syrup cheaper than Vermont, and I assume similar or better quality. So if Canada puts a tariff on Vermont syrup, it may not be practical or profitable to export Vermont syrup to Canada. OK, fine. They can still sell in the US or elsewhere. Vermont syrup still has the same profit margin for the company whether Canada puts a tariff on it or not. The only difference is Canadians who want Vermont syrup pay more for it. If Vermont can't produce syrup cheap enough for people to want to buy it, then the industry goes the way of the buggy whip manufacturer.

Of course, if Canada produces better and cheaper syrup, why would they need to put a tariff on Vermont syrup?

But even if they do, why would that call for the US to enact "retaliatory" tariffs? US consumers aren't paying more for Vermont syrup, Canadians are, and that tariff money is going to the Canadian government. It's no money out of my pocket. If there is less demand for Vermont syrup, then they just produce less.

It seems everyone is taking these tariffs as economic attacks against their country. I don't see that at all. An economic attack would be an embargo, where we just refuse to do business with them. If the US puts a tariff on a product, the importer pays it, not the exporter.

It makes me wonder who is really behind this fight against American tariffs.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Yes it's true for example lumber, all those tariffs put on by America are just being passed onto the end user, it's really a type of tax. The lumber industry in Canada is doing well despite the tariffs because of American housing rebounded, and well Americans can't supply "ALL" it's needs, so Canada steps in to fill the gaps and the price stays high because if I am a lumber yard and I need 3 super B loads of 1/2" plywood and I can't get any from my American suppliers I turn to my Canadian suppliers, and since the dollar is less anyways it pretty much negates the tariffs.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

No more Back Bacon for You , eh ?

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Another country is upset that they can't take advantage of the American taxpayer anymore.

Cry me a river.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 02:09 AM
link   
The entire world has been taken care of by US the United States, for decades now and people are crying about a trade war.

NEWS FLASH, THE UNITED STATES DOESN'T NEED YOU!!!! WE HAVE ENOUGH RESOURCES TO SUPPORT OURSELVES, FOR A VERY, VERY,VERY LONG TIME.

We could have a trade war with every single country on Earth and we'd win, hate to tell you people. It's about time we have a President that cares about the people of the United States and doesn't want to sell us down the river to the highest bidder.

You young kids on here who are brainwashed by your teachers, friends and other influences to believe everything Trump does is to hurt you are very, very naive. You're going to look back in years to come and realize how short-sighted you were.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheGOAT
The entire world has been taken care of by US the United States, for decades now and people are crying about a trade war.

NEWS FLASH, THE UNITED STATES DOESN'T NEED YOU!!!! WE HAVE ENOUGH RESOURCES TO SUPPORT OURSELVES, FOR A VERY, VERY,VERY LONG TIME.

We could have a trade war with every single country on Earth and we'd win, hate to tell you people. It's about time we have a President that cares about the people of the United States and doesn't want to sell us down the river to the highest bidder.

You young kids on here who are brainwashed by your teachers, friends and other influences to believe everything Trump does is to hurt you are very, very naive. You're going to look back in years to come and realize how short-sighted you were.

Exempt for electric hydro power......

Electric Power: Canada is the United States' electric reliability partner. The electric transmission systems in Canada and the United States are highly integrated, and the United States is a net importer of electricity from Canada. The major electricity trade flows from Canada to the United States occur from Manitoba to the Midwest and from eastern Canada to the New England, New York, and Midwest regional transmission organizations.

Before you make bold statements you better know all the facts.
edit on 2-6-2018 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   
The bottom line is that we have a #load of resources. If we don't sell to the US we can sell elsewhere. Say to China. I think that has been in the works for a couple of years. Those commodities will still be moved. Just not to the US where the tariffs will increase the price to US consumers.

Yu don't put tariffs on a commodity you need. That just creates inflation. An example. We NEED gas. We don't have the refineries. So we sell crude and imort the finished product. It would be insane to put a tariff on that. It would just jack the price higher than the idiotic price we are already paying. Now that I think about it we should be building refineries not pipelines.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33

originally posted by: TheGOAT

Exempt for electric hydro power......

Electric Power: Canada is the United States' electric reliability partner. The electric transmission systems in Canada and the United States are highly integrated, and the United States is a net importer of electricity from Canada. The major electricity trade flows from Canada to the United States occur from Manitoba to the Midwest and from eastern Canada to the New England, New York, and Midwest regional transmission organizations.

Before you make bold statements you better know all the facts.

I can assure we don't need that. 100%. When shtf, the United States has always toughed it out and came back stronger, don't believe me, look at our history. People seam to forget that since Obama was in for 8 years. He let the world think we're little sissies and encouraged us to apologize to everyone, not anymore.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Canada Mexico and UK has fired back with targeted tariffs against the US. Targeting who? More like where, they are targeting industry in red states such as whiskey and pork, etcetera. Basically, tariffs will target industries based in red states costing jobs in those states.

The timing is bad for Republicans going into midterm.

edit on 2-6-2018 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
The bottom line is that we have a #load of resources. If we don't sell to the US we can sell elsewhere. Say to China. I think that has been in the works for a couple of years. Those commodities will still be moved. Just not to the US where the tariffs will increase the price to US consumers.

Exactly. Canada will sell their aluminum and steel for the same price either way. So why is everyone looking at tariffs as some sort of economic attack? Canada doesn't lose a dime. Why the need for "retaliation" tariffs? If you think a tariff is helpful, do it. If not, don't.

Yu don't put tariffs on a commodity you need. That just creates inflation. An example. We NEED gas. We don't have the refineries. So we sell crude and imort the finished product. It would be insane to put a tariff on that. It would just jack the price higher than the idiotic price we are already paying. Now that I think about it we should be building refineries not pipelines.

Maybe not the best example. Both Canada and the US have gasoline taxes. It's pretty much the same effect: exporters still get the same price, consumers pay more, the government gets the money,

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

originally posted by: intrepid

Exactly. Canada will sell their aluminum and steel for the same price either way. So why is everyone looking at tariffs as some sort of economic attack? Canada doesn't lose a dime. Why the need for "retaliation" tariffs? If you think a tariff is helpful, do it. If not, don't.

Maybe not the best example. Both Canada and the US have gasoline taxes. It's pretty much the same effect: exporters still get the same price, consumers pay more, the government gets the money,

The buyer is effected raising the cpi.

Doesn't seem real conservative to add taxes.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

The buyer is affected, but not the seller. So why would the seller feel the need to retaliate?

And I don't think I've seen a real conservative government in the US in my lifetime. However, tariffs were pretty common before the Federal Reserve. As far as taxes go, I would rather pay a tax on something I buy than pay a tax because I busted my ass to earn a living. I can always chose not to buy something if I think it's taxed too high.
edit on 2-6-2018 by VictorVonDoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

originally posted by: luthier

The buyer is affected, but not the seller. So why would the seller feel the need to retaliate?

And I don't think I've seen a real conservative government in the US in my lifetime. However, tariffs were pretty common before the Federal Reserve. As far as taxes go, I would rather pay a tax on something I buy than pay a tax because I busted my ass to earn a living. I can always chose not to buy something if I think it's taxed too high.

This may be true. But not for the owner of a business with supply lines.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join