It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen allegedly shoots his hatchet wielding uncle in self-defense

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: Krakatoa

glad the kid is alive but i still dont think a 16 year old should have access. it could have went many different ways.
this time it worked out but it does remain to be seen how #ed up this kid will be for killing his unk.

I could access my Dad's guns when I was 10. He taught my brothers and I how to be responsible with firearms from the age of 5 or 6. We knew what happened when you squeeze the trigger and the kind of hell we would catch if we ever did anything irresponsible with them.

It is all about training and responsibility.
Believe it or not young children can be responsible with firearms if taught properly.
My dad was an NRA shooting and hunting safety instructor.

This. The same people that insist kids need sex education to remove the taboo and ensure they stay safe, for whatever reason just can't seem to grasp that firearms education is a good thing, not a bad thing. It removes the taboo and enhances safety. I know parents who just think "well my son/daughter isn't going to be around guns". That's a grossly irresponsible and unrealistic viewpoint. You can't control what your kid is exposed to 24/7. It's just as ignorant as saying "my kid isn't allowed to have sex til they're 18". Yeah, okay.

edit on 31 5 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Most of the age situation is about understanding and rational thought. Some young people have it and some adults don't.

Age is used as a boundary because it is believed it is a point where a person has the correct mental state. We know it is not a 100% working reality.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

education on gun safety and consequence is 1 thing and its a great thing.
10 year old with access to their parents guns is a different thing.

i feel like it is grossly irresponsible to give your 10 year old access to your gun but very responsible to teach them the safety and consequences of using that gun.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   

but it is treated like the things on my list because there are restrictions on kids and guns.
thats a fact my friend.

protected rights cant be banned by passing a law?
interesting

so felons can own guns?
mentally ill?

those are more restrictions

You mention more of the compromises that have been made over the years. When does it stop?

If you can trust a 12 year old has the mental capacity and maturity to learn how to make a life (i.e. sex education in school), that also means the should have the mental capacity and maturity to learn how to safely operate a firearm to protect a life (including their family).

But, I guess, for some, teaching sex is acceptable because they know more about that and are not ignorant on the topic?

You can do whatever you wish with the kids in your care. However, do not demand or state that other parents need to treat theirs in the same untrusting manner and keeping them ignorant.

Good luck with that.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

If you can trust a 12 year old has the mental capacity and maturity to learn how to make a life (i.e. sex education in school), that also means the should have the mental capacity and maturity to learn how to safely operate a firearm to protect a life (including their family).

But, I guess, for some, teaching sex is acceptable because they know more about that and are not ignorant on the topic?

You can do whatever you wish with the kids in your care. However, do not demand or state that other parents need to treat theirs in the same untrusting manner and keeping them ignorant.

Good luck with that.

i am for sex education because biology and hormones take over and kids have sex. its hardwired into us.
not the same with guns

i will do what i want with my kids and i never demanded or stated parents should do the same with theirs. what i did was give my opinion. there is a difference.

why dont you stop trying to pick an argument man.

i dont agree with what you are saying but i am not telling you or demanding you change.
understand?
edit on 31-5-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   

a reply to: face23785

education on gun safety and consequence is 1 thing and its a great thing.

i feel like it is grossly irresponsible to give your 10 year old access to your gun but very responsible to teach them the safety and consequences of using that gun.

Fair enough. It's a good thing this 16 year old had access to a gun though, or he'd likely be dead. That doesn't mean all 16 year old's are mature enough, just like all 16 year olds aren't mature enough to drive. It's up to the parents to be responsible parents and make sure their kid can handle a car, or a gun. If they're not, and the kid injures or kills someone with it, I'm all for holding the parents responsible, depending on the circumstances. Obviously when a very young child finds a loaded gun and fires it resulting in injury or death, there's no excuse for that. That's criminal. Same way we would charge a parent that left their kid in a running car and the kid managed to put it in gear and run somebody over.
edit on 31 5 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Good luck with that.

i am for sex education because biology and hormones take over and kids have sex. its hardwired into us.
not the same with guns

i will do what i want with my kids and i never demanded or stated parents should do the same with theirs. what i did was give my opinion. there is a difference.

why dont you stop trying to pick an argument man.

i dont agree with what you are saying but i am not telling you or demanding you change.
understand?

Pick an argument, no. Debate an issue, yes.
Seeing as I disagree with you, it seems you see that as picking an argument.

That's quite self-righteous on your part considering your postings here just in this thread alone.
Saying this:

i never demanded or stated parents should do the same with theirs

When you also stated in previous posts here the following:

12 is too #ing young for that kind of responsibility.

.... and ....

Yes, you are stating the parents should do what you feel is right and "responsible" by making a blatantly generalized statements including all kids that age. That would include the children of other parents. You have openly called them irresponsible with parenting their children here too:

i feel like it is grossly irresponsible to give your 10 year old access to your gun

That is attempting to parent someone else's children since if they do not agree with your opinion on the matter, they are "irresponsible" parents. Had you stated that you personally would feel irresponsible in doing this it would have been more accurate and not insulting to others. See the difference??

Who are you to judge other parent's decisions unless you know them and their children?

Nobody, that is who. It is people with attitudes such as yours that make asinine laws that affect everyone, even those that never had anything to do with a certain situation. Willful ignorance of the details also goes hand-in-hand with the fear over these tools.

Face the fear, get educated, and do not be willfully ignorant of the tool.
Knowledge is power.
Ignorance is weakness.

Choose wisely.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Yes, you are stating the parents should do what you feel is right and "responsible" by making a blatantly generalized statements including all kids that age. That would include the children of other parents. You have openly called them irresponsible with parenting their children here too:

i feel like it is grossly irresponsible to give your 10 year old access to your gun

That is attempting to parent someone else's children since if they do not agree with your opinion on the matter, they are "irresponsible" parents. Had you stated that you personally would feel irresponsible in doing this it would have been more accurate and not insulting to others. See the difference??

i feel like
as in my opinion
that is not an attempt to parent another persons child

do you not understand language?
you keep saying i am doing # that i am not doing

all i have done is give my opinion. far cry from what you are saying
edit on 1-6-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Don't know how my tags got messed up.

But yeah you do realize I can have an opinion on things and feel certain things are irresponsible without trying to get others to conform right?

I'm not trying to make parents do # with their kids. Parent your kids how you want.
I don't know why you can't grasp this simple concept.

Did I say parents should do as I do?
Am I out there trying to get regulations passed?

# no

I'm giving my opinion on a message board. That is the extent of it.

So how about you come off your high horse and come to terms with the fact that people have different opinions.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Don't know how my tags got messed up.

But yeah you do realize I can have an opinion on things and feel certain things are irresponsible without trying to get others to conform right?

I'm not trying to make parents do # with their kids. Parent your kids how you want.
I don't know why you can't grasp this simple concept.

Did I say parents should do as I do?
Am I out there trying to get regulations passed?

# no

I'm giving my opinion on a message board. That is the extent of it.

So how about you come off your high horse and come to terms with the fact that people have different opinions.

Thank you for clarifying your position. A position you took by making definitive and generalized statements that, in the English language, imply facts as you see them.

I am not on a high horse, only trying to get you to clarify a set of definitive statements you made here.

And, if you think I am unaccepting of differing opinions, perhaps it is you that needs to understand the language and how a discussion happens, and that you (and I) are responsible for the statements we make.

As for the legislation perspective, again, you fail to grasp the sentence in total and misinterpret it as a personal attack upon you only. If you re-read it and actually understand the words in their context, you will see that I stated:

It is people with attitudes such as yours that make asinine laws that affect everyone

This statement is not directed solely at YOU , it clearly states I am referring to people with attitudes LIKE yours, yet not YOU in particular. Is that more clear for you?

You can have your opinions, and state them as your opinions. What you did not do throughout is to limit them to YOU, and instead took a generalized approach. Hint, generalities include others besides yourself. Perhaps you fail to understand that concept? And, if you do, then your statements seem to me to be merely an outward reflection upon others of your own fears and insecurities with seeing children as capable ot actual thought about their actions. This, I believe, is where we differ the most. I actually think there are many children (not all) that do have that ability and can be trusted.....some more so than I would trust and "adult" merely due to the number of years they have been alive.

And, unlike you, I still have not used profanity (in breach of our own T&C's we all agreed to in order to be ATS members). Perhaps that is another concept you fail to grasp, or, think you are higher than the terms of any contract you agree to yet do not agree with upholding?

edit on 6/1/2018 by Krakatoa because: spelling

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Lost me when you started playing mod with the terms bull#.
See ya

top topics

<< 1   >>

join