It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everyday racism

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   
So today I go to renew my driver's license. I walk i, take a number and sit down. Now I'm surrounded by black people (this is a very mixed area) and as I sit there about a dozen white people walk in and take a number. I sit there for about 20 minutes when a group of black people walk in and start to take a number. That's when a couple of the black customers pop up and tells them not to take those number, but one of the number slips sitting in a pile near by that someone had pulled out.

Basically, the black customers purposely let all the white customers take high numbers, while they helped each other take from the pile of actual numbers being called by the front desk which were all much lower.

I just said, "thanks a lot" and walked out. I'll try again tomorrow. It just goes to show that we all experience racism.

edit on 31-5-2018 by Thejoncrichton because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Thejoncrichton

Wouldn't that "pile" of numbers be the ones they already announced? I don't get it.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

Apparently, the pile was intentionally made with unused numbers. Clever...and disgusting.
edit on 31-5-2018 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtrenthacker

Wouldn't that "pile" of numbers be the ones they already announced? I don't get it.

Someone pulled out a bunch, set them on top. Everyone who was pulling from the machine had much higher numbers. I pulled 27 and they were calling 4, 5, 6.....The customers allowed white customers to pick from the bottom, while they told other black customers to pull from the separate pile of lower numbers. Meaning people who came in later were going long before people who had been sitting there a while.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Well you ought to have taken one off the pile and kept yours and gone with whichever came up first.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
You should have grabbed the pile of numbers and stuffed them in your pocket.
Problem solved

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   
You should have taken out that phone and caught some video of this happening, then busted on them all. But no, you got butt hurt and went home....NEWS FLASH...you let them do it.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   

LOL line jumping at the DMV.

We don't have that problem in VA, at least in the NoVA area...all the DMVs have a 2 step waiting process...go to the first counter to tell them what you're there for, they give you the appropriate paperwork to fill out, and they assign you a ticket number based on what you're having done that day... (example: license renewal or registering a vehicle might have 2 different numbers..B1 and F63) and they assign those to the appropriate sub set of DMV associates. It's a lot shorter than the old way. I went in for a license renewal and was out in 50 minutes.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
You know...You're right. Opportunity missed.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Was it a racist action or was it a bunch more of buddy’s who all went through on the same day, was it the guys friend or is it that they didn’t offer you a ticket and it had nothing to do with you looking a little pale.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Was it a racist action or was it a bunch more of buddy’s who all went through on the same day, was it the guys friend or is it that they didn’t offer you a ticket and it had nothing to do with you looking a little pale.

No, these people didn't know each other. And again, it wasn't just me. They let all the white customers take the wrong numbers.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Not racism
Reparations....

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   

That's not racism.....that's just knowing how to game the system.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   

In the DMV here the receptionist or what ever gives out the numbers. Different letters in front for different things one letter is for plates, another for registration, another for permits another for driving tests. I don't know how you're works but here picking up just any ticket may not get youthe associate you need then when you get to the counter they'll say oops you need to get a different ticket for that.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Where did these folks get the tickets?

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Where did these folks get the tickets?

The dispenser is right as you walk in, about 30 ft away from the front desk.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Just as an FYI most things at the DMV can be done online including renewing a license if you don't need a new picture. They usual!y let you use the same photo twice.
But registration renewals, stickers and the like most states you can do online.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   

They need someone monitoring the dispenser.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thejoncrichton
So today I go to renew my driver's license. I walk i, take a number and sit down. Now I'm surrounded by black people (this is a very mixed area) and as I sit there about a dozen white people walk in and take a number. I sit there for about 20 minutes when a group of black people walk in and start to take a number. That's when a couple of the black customers pop up and tells them not to take those number, but one of the number slips sitting in a pile near by that someone had pulled out.

Basically, the black customers purposely let all the white customers take high numbers, while they helped each other take from the pile of actual numbers being called by the front desk which were all much lower.

I just said, "thanks a lot" and walked out. I'll try again tomorrow. It just goes to show that we all experience racism.

I think that is hilarious - blacks practicing there own form of grass roots leveling of privilege.

I think that is hilarious - blacks practicing there own form of grass roots leveling of privilege.

Consider now if that was the law of the land - as it was for hundreds of years with whites always going first.

Understand the anger now?

What did you do? What did you feel? It wasn't fair was it? It wasn't Just.

Understand the anger now?

Relate to the anger now?

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   

thats not racist.
thats people being assholes

do you know the difference?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join