It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump reportedly poised to ban German luxury carmakers in the US

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

originally posted by: DexterRiley
It sounds like Trump spouting more of his uninformed tripe.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

-dex

Uninformed? He's the President of the United States. Lol, you guys never get old.

Yep.

Uninformed.

Nearly every time he opens his mouth, he provides ever more convincing evidence of how of touch with reality he truly is.

-dex

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Not putting much stock in this report. It's just not possible to ban those cars.

Citing several unnamed U.S. and European diplomats...

snip

The White House did not immediately respond to CNBC's request for comment.

Doesn't smell like roses to me.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   
If they build them in the US, they can avoid the tariffs right? I was under the impression that was Trumps idea with these tariffs. The other reason is they tax our imported vehicles more than we tax theirs.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   
This is probably an offshoot of the Iran controversy. Germany is leading the pack trying to tell us how that universe will disintegrate if Trump doesn't keep the Iran deal.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Wasn´t that with the cars because of "national security"?
Well, we all here, most of us, drive german cars in germany, some of us with more than 200km/h on our Autobahn, everyday. Yet we have less death people because of traffic accidents than the "U"SA, not forgetting the difference between the population of the "U"SA and Germany!

So that national security thing is just the cheapest of all excuses (used for every silly crap since 9/11), because every german car on "U"S roads makes the traffic in the "U"S, the lifes of the "U"S road users, safer.

Or is that wrong, aren´t german cars safer?

That would only prove that we all must be professional race car drivers, stunt drivers etc.
Or that "U"S road users simply can´t drive cars.

Otherwise there wouldn´t be more traffic fatalities in the "U"S than in Germany, while the road users in the "U"S even drive 50% or more slower than the road users in Germany.

So what is it, are german cars safer or are just all germans born stunt drivers and all "U"S road users drive like drnken couch potatoes?

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Double post, ATS is a bit weird the last days and weeks, at least when entering from germany/europe.

edit on 31 5 2018 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

To be frank, those with Mercedes here tend to think they bought the road along with their car. I keep an eye on them when I see them because they are bound to drive any way they please. They certainly make ME a better driver.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid
Same here, BMW drivers aren´t much better!

They have "eingebaute Vorfahrt"(automatic right of way?), as they think.
Because their cars are a bit more expensive than other cars.
Poor people, that think like this!

Forgot:
German people say often that mercedes drivers use their Mercedes-Stern(Star) as a cross-hair pointer...

edit on 31 5 2018 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Haha same here in the UK, and I notice there is a Mercedes comradary as well, I occasionally do some jobs in a brand new S-class, not mine, but trying to get out of a stop junction other Merc drivers will stop let me out.
Similar if driving a work van, Merc drivers won't stop to let me out but other work van drivers will lol

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   
""Trump reportedly poised to ban German luxury carmakers in the US""

How does somebody get "reportedly poised"

😲

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Having worked for GM for over 10 years I know all cars are fine unless made on a Monday or Friday, so find out when your car was made and buy accordingly.

I mean, many of the workers would be so drunk after lunch they could hardly see.

Beyond that, there all the same whether a Cadillac, or a Buick, or Chevy, and I’m sure foreign cars are the same

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
Having worked for GM for over 10 years I know all cars are fine unless made on a Monday or Friday, so find out when your car was made and buy accordingly.

I mean, many of the workers would be so drunk after lunch they could hardly see.

Beyond that, there all the same whether a Cadillac, or a Buick, or Chevy, and I’m sure foreign cars are the same

Good to know. Isn't the manufacturing date usually encoded in the VIN code?

-dex

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I dunno, none of this makes any sense.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
His own tweet...

If the E.U. wants to further increase their already massive tariffs and barriers on U.S. companies doing business there, we will simply apply a Tax on their Cars which freely pour into the U.S. They make it impossible for our cars (and more) to sell there. Big trade imbalance!

This is also associated with the aluminum and steel tariffs. He is NOT threatening to not allow German cars in the US but it sure makes a good headline.

If you research it farther, what it will do is cause these manufacturers to build more in their plants in the US.

Jobs and more local taxes/revenue.

A win/win once again but you keep on with the doom and gloom MSNBC BS...

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

It sounds like Trump spouting more of his uninformed tripe.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

-dex

Uninformed? He's the President of the United States. Lol, you guys never get old.

Yep.

Uninformed.

Nearly every time he opens his mouth, he provides ever more convincing evidence of how of touch with reality he truly is.

-dex

Yeah because a civvy like yourself is all in the know... 👌

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I'm sure this has more to do with the 10% tariff the EU has on US automakers compared to our 2.5% current reciprocity.

Lowering those tariffs was also a discussion had during the aluminum/steel tariff debate.

The name of the game is negotiation and leverage. Trump is using our leverage finally.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 09:32 PM
link   
From one audi owner to another... you know this isn’t true lol. Bought a cabriolet with 53k 2 years ago.

My trunk actuator failed at 65,000
My climate control module went at 75,000
My cruise control went at 77,000
And my transmission control module at 85,000

Have you ever had to change an engine coolant temperature sensor on a cabriolet? On most US cars, the sensor is accessible on the side of the engine, not tucked away by the firewall under an assortment of hoses that had to be removed.

I never had a problem with my Dodge Durango, but I wouldn’t ever go back by choice. German cars aren’t reliable, but they’re fun as hell to drive.

a reply to: DieGloke

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Trump reportedly poised to ban German luxury carmakers in the US

for a nation that cherishes free enterprise, and holds that free enterprise is a one and only wealth generation system, this is staggering.

This flagged and possible course of action cannot be anything more than an admission that the US economy is collapsing and as I have read before, any economic good news can only be coming from the financial services industry not from the value adding goods and services industries.

No wonder the US is prepared to go to war to keep the US dollar the world reserve currency. Once the world turns their back on the US dollar the US will very rapidly sink to a second world nation, or worse.

No wonder they are desperate to take over Syria and get the oil pipeline into Europe.

far out!
edit on 1-6-2018 by Azureblue because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join