It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebay shuts down mans listing for his personal facebook data

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Quiet right too. While this self-publicist is happy to sell his Facebook profile, I doubt all his "friends" and associates linked to that profile would be too happy for it to happen.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

It is why I don't use my real name on social media, neither does my son. If you 'Google' our names we are the only ones that come up. One single search result for me, an electoral roll where I stupidly didn't tick the 'not for public record' box in the late 90's, but lots for my son as he plays rugby for our town and the local rag reports it.

I've locked down my real name from the internet pretty well, pity I wasn't called John Smith or something, there are so many common names like that, I do envy them a bit.
Lots of my friends use fake names as well, maybe paranoia, but when applying for a job or whatever they'll find nothing for us on social media, zero, nada. Nothing marked as 'public' either all 'friends only'.

EDIT
I did have a boss asked me once how to find me on facebook and I refused saying I keep my private and professional life seperate. He wasn't impressed but had to suck it up, I didn't want him seeing me at parties on the weekend then claiming I had a cold on the Monday lol
edit on 31-5-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: KansasGirl

Well, we probably should care about the seeming fact that businesses and other entities have more rights to our data than we do as individuals.
Some people are more aware and careful than others.

What does "liking attention" have to do with this thread? If he likes to get attention, does that devalue the point he made in trying to auction off his personal data?
And what would that point be? Other than the attention it got him?

We have different opinions on this and will just have to agree to disagree. I think his other whoring doesn't downgrade the issue to "no big deal," I think it's a great way to illustrate the point about or data. Whore or not. The issue with the data is still there, and the "normies" will pay more attention to an issue when its illustrated in a way such as this was.

That's great that you and others are smart about the self data you allow to make it to the net. But I bet even you and your fellow supremely more intelligent and sophisticated club members are still tracked, because our privacies have been so degraded over the past 17 years in sophisticated and subtle ways that even the superior members of society (you) can't escape it. And that is an issue that this stunt by the "attention whore" can make more people care about since he illustrated it in a way that people can relate it to their own lives.

As far as your claim that the MSM DID cover this story, I'm not sure one little article on some site online really qualifies. I was thinking more of CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, etc. I was referring to one of the television networks covering the story on their news shows and coverage. But I won't blame you for not being able to read my mind. Even extra smart people can't always be expected to have ESP.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

originally posted by: KansasGirl
FANTASTIC.

Would be awesome if this story went viral. But wanna bet the MSM won't cover this one?

News

But who really cares? Here's you boi. He likes attention.
www.campaignlive.co.uk...

If he hadnt been the type who likes attention, then the fact that he was able to get up to 400 in the first 24 might have been more significant, but... eh.

Kinda like that guy who was gonna invent free energy and give it to the world, but then we found out he was a total drama queen so we were like "nah".

Yeah you're totally right Phage, "who cares" about any of this?

...you win!

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Quiet right too. While this self-publicist is happy to sell his Facebook profile, I doubt all his "friends" and associates linked to that profile would be too happy for it to happen.

Yeah only big billion dollar corporations are allowed to do that to your family and friends for a profit! But for him to do that? That's not how its s'possed to work!

Know your role! Am i right?? They get to run #, you just eat #. And die. That's your job. Get used to it!
edit on 5/31/2018 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
well unless all his contacts agreed to selling there info the point he could not is mute .
wile company's can and do sell info it is moraly wrong so how is him doing the same less ?
It would not be just his info all his a family info friends info info about his place of employment would be there .

No company's should not be able tos ell your info with out a meeting of minds ( a Old custom )
Were as teh buyer and sell both have teh right to full disclose and hidden info invalidates the sale .
Small print is a way to try and sneak info past people and should be outlawed .
any part of a you agree we can sell your ifo should be separate and in BOLD so you are aware they are using you to make money .

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

He still makes a valid point.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

So sell it somewhere else. What about Craigslist? Good luck.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I wonder if he smells a connection to the new UK rules he can use for some kind of future lawsuit? He owns his information but can't sell it is his point.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join