It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Times Admits It Lied About Crowd Size at Nashville Trump Rally

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: underwerks

I can respect your opinion.

But why the 1000? A vast underestimation? Got an opinion on that?

Who’s really an expert in crowd size? If I was estimating in person I probably couldn’t tell the difference between 1,000 or 4,000 if I had nothing to reference it by.

Maybe you could do better, but I don’t really expect people to get the exact crowd size of an event they’re attending, unless they counted receipts or something like that.

Some people suck at estimating things.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Nope, I probably could not do better, or maybe I could.

However, of whichever it may be, I know I couldn't properly give a quote on crowd size. I know this, why doesn't the media?

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Nope, I probably could not do better, or maybe I could.

However, of whichever it may be, I know I couldn't properly give a quote on crowd size. I know this, why doesn't the media?

If you know people are terrible at estimating things like crowd size, why do you expect the media to get it right?

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 12:26 AM
link   

That would be because I also know that some are, like it's their job...like fire marshals for example. I expect the media to get as close to the facts as possible. Wait..no. I want the media to get as close to the facts as possible.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

“While no exact figure is available, the fire marshal’s office estimated that approximately 5,500 people attended the rally, not about 1,000 people,” the correction stated. The Trump campaign issued its own crowd size estimate of 7,500 to 8,000 in a statement released to the press on Wednesday.

Fire Marshall says 5,500, Trump campaign says 7,500 to 8,000, so it’s safe to say there was probably around 3,000 people there.

She wasn’t far off.

The fire marshal would be accurate because he stopped people from entering. There were people outside the event unable to get in. In fact there was thousands gathered along the street leading to municiple auditorium. Local news was out interviewing them on the streets. The other thing Marsha Blackbern is very popular in the state. As far as popularity I think she has the edge over Phil Bredesen though being a former governor he is popular as well. Though he has a checkered past that will probably be brought up again.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 12:45 AM
link   

That would be because I also know that some are, like it's their job...like fire marshals for example. I expect the media to get as close to the facts as possible. Wait..no. I want the media to get as close to the facts as possible.

You can never get rid of human error in anything involving humans, especially something as subjective as news reporting.

Maybe one day when we can remove the human factor from it and hand it over to A.I., but until then we’re left with subjective fallible humans as our tape recorders. So I don’t really expect things like estimating the size of a crowd to be 100% correct all of the time.

I get that you think this was the evil MSM trying to denigrate Trump by playing down his crowd size, and you may be right. But it’s also just as likely this reporter severely screwed up their estimate because people suck at estimating things a lot of times.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 12:49 AM
link   

If you know people are terrible at estimating things like crowd size, why do you expect the media to get it right?

lol. Just wow. lol

Journalists are suppose to be very good at investigative reporting. Why would'nt she just do her job and investigate it if she wanted to comment on it? I think you know this though, but, but, TRUMP!!

edit on 31-5-2018 by highvein because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Could it also just be as likely that Trump screwed up his estimate or the person who gave him the estimation?

Would you extend the same justification to the group that have the smaller margin of error?

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Could it also just be as likely that Trump screwed up his estimate or the person who gave him the estimation?

Would you extend the same justification to the group that have the smaller margin of error?

Damn you make good points.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Yeah I’m pretty sure Trump screwed up his estimate. That was part of my assumption math in the first post.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 12:59 AM
link   

I think it more likely she underplayed the numbers. 1000 is just less than 20% of the 5500. A wiggle room of a thousand here or there for this sized crowd is fair enough. Missing 4/5 is way past wriggle room.

Let's give her her due. She tried to cheat on her homework and was caught out.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: Outlier13

Fake news lies on both sides of the isle and divisiveness as well. You cannot put all the blame on one side when the same sort of things were happening under Obama except in the opposite direction.

I said that in my post to you and I agree, however, I intentionally wanted to highlight the perpetrators of the divisiveness you referenced.

The left is out of control.
The MSM is out of control.

The right did not start this fire we are all party to day in and day out. I agree in compromise as a solution, however, the left makes it abundantly clear they view themselves as the all powerful ruling class preaching from virtue hill while they live in their glass houses of hypocrisy. I'm willing to break that glass.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Yes, but you're not falling all over yourself to justify the Trump camps estimate. In fact you said:

Trump admin vastly over estimates because of idiot hubris, which means the reality is probably a little less than both.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

I think it more likely she underplayed the numbers. 1000 is just less than 20% of the 5500. A wiggle room of a thousand here or there for this sized crowd is fair enough. Missing 4/5 is way past wriggle room.

Let's give her her due. She tried to cheat on her homework and was caught out.

Maybe.

But even the other numbers are just estimates. Maybe she was so put off by the crowd she didn’t pay attention while there and then estimated later? Who knows? It can’t be a good experience being a reporter at a Trump rally. Maybe she was triggered by all the American flags and freedom flying around?

I’d put it to her being crappy at her job more than being out to get Trump. Or, maybe she was. I want to see ticket stubs.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Shameful, what kind of person would lie about crowd size??

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Yes, but you're not falling all over yourself to justify the Trump camps estimate. In fact you said:

Trump admin vastly over estimates because of idiot hubris, which means the reality is probably a little less than both.

Because I believe it to be vastly overstated. Because it’s coming from the Trump admin.

Do you really expect Trump not to exaggerate, well, everything? I thought it went without saying his estimate is probably high.

Is that enough justification for why I think Trumps estimate is wrong? I thought Trump had sold enough 90th floors on 70 floor buildings to make that obvious.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 01:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
Shameful, what kind of person would lie about crowd size??

Haaa, touché.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Lol.
A point ignored thus far, he set the bar from the get go, why wouldn't everyone make up their own #s from that point on.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 01:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

I would accept your argument if not for the fact that it consistently seems as though they underestimate for one side, and overestimate for the other.

I think further to this is when they also use photographs to push their perspective, by way of framing the shot to suit their agenda. I remember that happening quite often during the election (probably the better known is Hillary standing on a platform in front of a 'large crowd' that turned out to be only a few rows deep - Ohio, by memory???).

In summary, their 'poor estimation skills' always support their agenda, which is usually backed up with biased reporting and misleading photographs.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: Outlier13

Fake news lies on both sides of the isle and divisiveness as well. You cannot put all the blame on one side when the same sort of things were happening under Obama except in the opposite direction.

The difference is , everything the left claimed as lies about Obama then are turning out to be the truth....
Have some tissue . A case of it . And you probably need water with that.
Wipe the egg off your face...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join