It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officer Suspended Over Social Media Post About David Hogg

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: whitewave

Bullshavings

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 02:20 AM
link   
This is a quote from the OP's source: CBS

Officer Valenti posted on Facebook that maybe an old lady would lose control of her car in the Publix lot where some of the students drew chalk outlines to signify the number of dead in the February 14th school shooting…
(emphasis mine)
For me, this additional context adds a layer of ambiguity to his statement. Is he talking about a little old lady getting confused when she sees all those chalk lines? I have known little old ladies (and men) who may have done just that.

If I'm not mistaken, the "die-in" occurred inside the store. To me it doesn't sound like he's advocating any kind of violence.

It's actually the kind-of hardcore grumbling half-joke I would expect from a LEO with 23 years of experience.

He thought he was posting his message to a private list of friends and associates. I believe such a group of people who knew him would expect something like that from him; and even if they didn't find it funny, they at least wouldn't be offended.

Unfortunately there is a labyrinth of configuration options for privacy, notifications, etc, on Facebook. It's far too easy to leak information, even when you believe you've properly configured it.

Now, having said that, if he can be readily linked with the local PD, and his statement offended people, then action had to be taken. In reading the article, I'm convinced that he's authentically remorseful for bringing dishonor on the department. And he is accepting his punishment with humility.

I'm not going to make blanket statements about police shootings and how they are handled. Each of those incidents have to reviewed on their own merits.

-dex

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

The lack of consequences on social media. Even if you know that it's Joe Smythe in Coral Gable, Florida who has said nasty things, even hateful and threatening things, to you or about you (a generic you)... You live in Nome, Alaska, and you can't walk up to him, if you were so inclined, and punch him in the nose.

The moment that someone invents a way to reach through the device and do that, much of this will stop. There are no consequences worth noting.
edit on 5/31/2018 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Another killer find!

If people can't read between the lines by now, by the time they can, it will be too late. 1984 is coming fast. This Officer stated his opinion and was penalized for it. I'm glad my f#ng life is nearly half over because I can't imagine how the second half of ShTs Ville is gonna end up for people still here. Idiots.
edit on 31-5-2018 by Artemis12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 04:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Artemis12

Read a Brave New World, and 1984, but don't forget Animal Farm, either. You'd swear to God that they're not works of fiction, but How-To books...

Frankly, we should be terrified.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 04:32 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Lets hope the world implodes before we get to that.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:42 AM
link   
a reply to: whitewave

Yea no actually you’re the one doing the misquoting.

The screenshot of his post pretty clearly shows that he said “hoped.”

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Artemis12

Some might say it's already here. ...and all too many are fighting to get in line to become "child heroes" so that later, they can be "Thought Police".

Can we safely say that that is already happening? Right. Left. Political paradigms don't seem to matter in that regard.

Think the way we do, or suffer the "consequences".
edit on 5/31/2018 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: amazing

In the old days, we used to call it Parenting. We'd get spanked and grounded for being disrespectful. You have to wonder what happened to this guys parents?

I never met anyone spanked or grounded for sh#t-posting on the internet. Most of us learned manners when interacting with human beings, not our computers; but I doubt many of us learned that old, child proverb: "Sticks and stones".

You know what I'm saying. It doesn't matter whether it's over the internet or in person. You don't say disrespectful insulting things. That's how I was raised. Apparently this cop, Rossane, Kathy Griffeth, Sean Hannity, Bill Maher, Rush Limbaugh, Donald Trump and millions of people in the us never learned that lesson.

I'm pretty sure none of them had discipline at home and their parents did a terrible job raising them.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: SummerRain

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
"Sensitivity training"—the two words that will define this generation.

In the old days, we used to call it Parenting. We'd get spanked and grounded for being disrespectful. You have to wonder what happened to this guys parents?

He is such a criminal. Bad parenting for sure. His parent spared the rod with this one. You can almost feel the evil eminating from his dark heart...

he hoped “some old lady loses control of her car” in the parking lot

I mean, that's right up there with gas chambers.

But no one said it was that bad, it's just nothing that needed saying, especially from someone in a position or Authority. My Children get disciplined everytime they say something disrespectful and hurtful.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

Another instance of "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything".

You reap what you so. Our words have consequences.

This applies to Hogg as well

That's true. He reaps what he sows as well. And there are consequences to his actions. He get's a lot of attention, debates, articles, interviews...many of them negative.

I'm just saying that. If Hogg says something wrong or bad. I can disagree with it without crossing the line and becoming disrespectful or insulting. I can take the high ground. I'm not smart or special...meaning if I can act like an adult so can most anyone. Including this officer.

Still not sure why so many people have a hard time acting like adults? It would be nice if our police officers could at least?

well put in a pretentious, subtle "i'm better than most" type way.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

This is exactly why Trump was elected.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

The First Amendment only protects us from the government. Not from public opinion or pressure, for that matter.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

That and the lower IQ voter getting behind someone they saw on tv.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

It's definitely here, but when the full swing hits people will be knocked off their proverbial liberated rockers. I'll never forget MTV broadcasting those, 'it happened before it can happen again', holocaust videos. They're always up to no good and people are always treating small instances like it's nothing. If you put it all together, everything that's been done to Society, the little changes, all of it, would make for a really good horror flick.

People wouldn't see a little here or a little there, they'd see the Grand Illusion, the whole picture.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join