It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20 Explosions Responsible For Mysterious Booms In PA?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: seaswine

Never been to Centralia but I have seen Silent Hill.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

Might be next 4th of July be the biggest you've ever seen.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Any dormant Volcano's or Fault lines in the area ?

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   
My first guess, is tannerite. Not a restricted material YET, and you can freely buy it at Gander mountain in any quantity as an example.

www.youtube.com...

Fred..

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

Live in the Northern part of PA, and we occasionaly hear loud booms. Sometimes it sounds more like loud scraping or two pieces of non-lubricated steel brushing together

I always chalked it up to Tannerite. A lot of shooters around these parts, and many use reactive targets. Some folks shoot at night as well

I've also heard of people using Tannerite to remove large rocks, trees, etc.

Unsure what else could be the cause. However, I believe some construction explosive materials recently grew legs and walked away from somewhere. Unsure if it is in this area or not, I'll have to re-read the news story

Something doesn't sit right with this. Almost like when you read about propane/cell phones being stolen from retail stores, or truckloads of high explosives disappearing, or machineguns/explosive munitions going missing from military bases. Very strange

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Just one question, Are they doing any fracking near you?

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtrenthackerwhy be so secretive about it now if that is in fact the stolen explosives?

i think secrecy is the default setting for authorities. keep calm and carry on, etc.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Triangulating sound sources is not rocket science. Why have they not set up a bunch of directional monitoring stations?

All it takes is for the same sound to be registered on 3 devices, a little math, and you can get a decent estimate of the source. Who the hell is running this investigation?

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 12:36 AM
link   
If the residents were feeling their homes shake, shouldn't there be some trace on local seismic sensors?

Wouldn't it take a huge amount of Tannerite for the explosions to be heard as far away as they have? Anyone purchasing such large quantities would show up on somebody's radar.

Maybe some of the deep abandoned mines are collapsing. I would think that both the sound and vibrations from such an event could propagate through the substrata for quite some distance.

-dex

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I think they are temporal or dimensional in nature. An effect from multiple earth dimensions crossing.

What sound is made when something shifts violently?

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 06:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: seaswine
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

The woman had an accent. The church's plaque read "first Ukrainian catholic" if I recall. Not sure about catholic but definitely remember the Ukrainian part.

I don't buy the story either. I've talked to 2 men who once worked the mines and they claim the anthracite is so rich, the veins in and around town are easily in the hundreds of millions of dollars worth. They were just cranky old men, but their theory holds water. If you Google it it's actually a popular theory among many. Once The remaining residents die off, the state gets full rights to do whatever they want.

Methinks a conspiracy is afoot!

I can not state emphatically enough how difficult a coal fire is to keep going, even using the highest grade anthracite (what I use for forging). I've had a fire go out from white hot (close to 3000F) in about 1-2 mins of diminished air flow through the forge (still blowing, just not fast). There is no way these old mines get any where the flow rate that my forge gets, and my coal is chopped pea coal (most easily ignitable & sustainable) and once it starts to go out, it's almost impossible to save. There is absolutely NO WAY that this fire has had enough draft to keep burning naturally for the last 40-50+ years. IDK the reason why this might have happened, maybe to gain control of the area (when coal was king it was worth more). Maybe for underground gasification, turning coal into methane by underground methods. I just can't imagine any possible situation where this event is natural or has been sustained by natural events. I'd like to learn more about his.

As far as the explosions, I kind of doubt it is tannerite

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Latest official word from the FBI is explosions but source unknown.
They also state they are positive there are no religious extremists in Pennsylvania blowing things up for practice.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

I think the difference between a flaming fire like you use as a blacksmith, and these coal seam fires is that these underground fires are smoldering fires. They burn much slower and at significantly lower temperatures. About a 1000 deg F, rather than the 3000 deg F you are familiar with.

When the surface occasionally subsides due to the coal seam collapse, enough oxygen is introduced into the environment to sustain the slow fire. I believe there are also some oxygen rich contaminants in raw coal that may help to sustain it as well.

There have been underground coal fires for millions of years. And there are other fires like the Centralia fire in Pennsylvania currently burning in several places around the globe. Apparently the Chinese have significant problems with them because of their huge coal mining industry.

One way I've experienced one of these underground smoldering fires was when my cousin accidentally started making charcoal when he loosely cover the embers of a trash fire with dirt. Several hours later the smoldering fire found air by following an old tree root, and then it flashed up. It was tough to put out until we finally realized that the embers underground were continuing to burn and reignite the surface fire.

-dex

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   
If people are hearing these "explosions", then there is sound pressure in the air as well as transmitted through ground.

The speed of sound through the ground is about 6.0 km/s while the speed of sound in air is 343 m/s. A very powerful explosion occurs some distance away and you feel the ground vibrate 60 seconds before you hear the sound of the explosion.

3 or 4 laptops running audacity, each with a dynamic microphone and a synchronized time base, spaced in a 15 mile radius around the city in relatively quiet locations (or, a straight line through the city). You should pick up the explosions in the air as well as the ground.... with some hyperbolic fixing software, you should be able to determine the location of the blasts. You may have to relocate the laptops/mics once or twice to resolve ambiguities that do not converge.

I would take the contract to do this. What fun.

edit on 1-6-2018 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Seneca Guns: www.myreporter.com...

I'm in north central PA & have heard them.
And like JBurns said, sometimes it sounds like metal scraping.
And crayzeed, yes there is fracking in PA, but the booms started before there was fracking.

The first time I heard it, it was 1:30 in the morning. It sounded like hubby was throwing firewood
into the steel wheelbarrow.
The next time it sounded like two cars had broadsided each other. Both times the sound came
from my cousin's land. Woods with no access.
It happened right before Chile's big earthquake in 2010. People in three states heard noises that night.
Some farther away, said it sounded like someone was pounding on their door.

The third time was on Thanksgiving a few years ago. That one shook the whole house & rattled the windows!
There's nothing in our area that could be human caused.
The booms did sound like old time cannons. Big, deep BOOMS. Pretty neat to hear!
Once you hear them, you won't mistake it for anything else!

WOQ

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   
A possible theory of the origin of the noises.

1. The Springfield Township area in Bucks County, PA is located on a unique physiographic region called the Reading Prong.

2. The Reading Prong is made up of crystalline metamorphic rock. Quartz is one of the minerals present in this area.

3. Quartz crystals exhibit a property known as Piezoelectricity. When mechanical stress is applied to a quartz crystal, an electric current is generated. Similarly when an electric current is applied to a crystal, it constricts. When the electric field is removed, the crystal returns to its original shape. Crystals are used as a stable frequency reference in crystal oscillators.

4. As Earth rotates in its magnetic field, a current is induced in the Earth's crust near the surface called a Telluric current. During the day, as the Earth's surface is facing the sun, the Telluric currents are strongest and the current flows from the poles toward the equator. At night, the polarity changes, and the currents flow toward the poles.

5. All of the mysterious explosion-like noises heard in the Springfield Township area occur between 2:00 and 4:30 AM. This is approximately in the middle of the night, during the point when that area is located exactly opposite the sun. Thus, one could surmise this represents a period when the Telluric currents are at minimum potential, and exactly opposite polarity of the daytime charge.

6. What is the possibility that the reported noises are related to inverse piezoelectricity? The daytime Telluric currents cause crystal constriction, while the nighttime current polarity reversal stimulates the crystals to return to their original shape. Even if this electrostriction process only causes small changes in crystal shape, the aggregate effect could cause some deformation of the rock strata that would manifest as a loud noise and slight earthquake activity.

7. Of course one question that arises is why the activity is so sporadic. What changes have occurred that suddenly allows this process to manifest to such a degree that it can now be heard as a loud noise?

This is just a theory based on the uniqueness of the geology in that area with respect to other areas not reporting those noises.

-dex

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
Triangulating sound sources is not rocket science. Why have they not set up a bunch of directional monitoring stations?

All it takes is for the same sound to be registered on 3 devices, a little math, and you can get a decent estimate of the source. Who the hell is running this investigation?

The explosions are heard in different areas. It's not the same location all the time. This makes them harder to locate.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah

originally posted by: charlyv

The explosions are heard in different areas. It's not the same location all the time. This makes them harder to locate.

Hear that, but all you need to identify is one, as they say the explosions all have the same characteristics. A plot of where they are occurring would be useful as well. If they do not do something like I suggest, then we will never know what they are.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

I find that very interesting, but why all of a sudden, since that quartz laden rock has been there for a long, long time?
Also, the fact that seismology does not seem to detect them is perplexing.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Also, the fact that seismology does not seem to detect them is perplexing.

That's an interesting point. Are we sure there hasn't been any kind of activity? It would be interesting to see seismographic plots that correspond with the witness accounts of the sound anomalies. There are over a hundred seismographic sensors deployed statewide.

Furthermore, it appears that a significant number of historically recorded earthquakes have their epicenters located in Lehigh and Bucks counties.

I find that very interesting, but why all of a sudden, since that quartz laden rock has been there for a long, long time?

A little more research provides some possibilities.

Pennsylvania has a complex groundwater system. And it appears to me that the Eastern part of the state has more underground water than other parts. Subsurface subsidence can occur at any time. Although I believe that subsidence occurs less often in areas that are underlain by basaltic rock, such as Bucks County.

A large man-made lake, Lake Nockamixon, was created in the 1960's. We know that large bodies of water created artificially have been known to affect local geology in unanticipated ways.

This area of Pennsylvania was also right on the edge of the glacial incursion of the last ice age. We know that surface rebound effects from glaciation can be delayed.

So, perhaps we're looking at some kind of cumulative effect, where it has recently reached a tipping point and provided the proper conditions for whatever is causing these anomalous sounds.

And of course there's always the favorite ATS fallback option: Aliens! LOL jk.

-dex

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join