It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solo A Star Wars Movie Review.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

It was a bad opening weekend when you look at Disney's projection of 150 million.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

It was a bad opening weekend when you look at Disney's projection of 150 million.

I actually double checked it made just over $100 million opening weekend not $80 as I previously stated, my bad, I would have checked.

Its still way of the $150 million projection but I think that projection was way off anyway and like I said I think that there were other factors along with that which contributed towards a poorer than expected performance at the box office.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Their projections seemed to ignore the facts that a) It was opening just a week after Deadpool 2, and b) that the highest grossing movie of all time (if not now, then eventually), is also still in theaters.

Still, to come out number 1 with those 2 factors in play, is still impressive.

Personally, I loved Last Jedi. (but then, I enjoy the whole franchise).

I think the actors did a great job with Han and Lando, and really channeled those characters. I loved the music, and it FELT like a Star Wars film. As for predictable, sure, some of us knew the double-double cross was coming, but I'm sure many in the audience were surprised.

Boring though? Well, I did see it in 4DX (3D but also with the moving chair, special effects, etc. in the theater). I really felt like I was making the Kessel Run with Han....so that was cool.

Then again, I met the real Lando this weekend too, so there's that also.....

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Character development seems to have been lost to action sequences
It's a compromise for studios I expect
Kinda puts me off cinema these days

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: DieGloke

Its actually mostly been directors that she has had replaced. Josh Trank was sacked because of the debacle after fan4tastic, phill lord and Chris miller were replaced because they were butchering the scripts and by all accounts were making a bad film that Ron Howard had to save. That really just lave Collin Tervago (however you spell it) who left for as yet largely unknown reason but I personally am happy that its back in the hands of JJ.

It was Kathleen Kennedy who got Garath Edwards to work with Tony Gillroy to change and reshot Rogue one aswell.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't think she is doing a good job because I think she isn't listening to fans, is ignoring the EU and I don't believe she is a Star Wars fan, thats why I think Kevin Feigie should take over.

I don't think she is a bitch though because I don't know her personally.

And you forget her deliberately trolling. Remember her stupid comment about the force being "female"? She was deliberately trying to get a rise out of people.

The force has no freaking gender, its the force!

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

Seriously? What do people see in the last Jedi?

The Leia doing a Mary poppins in space was enough to make it crap.

But that stupid side story too that was disjointed and out of place?

And lets not forget what they did with Luke making him a loser hobo.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

I hated it. You can't compare a Ferrari to a Gremilin it's just not possible.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Seriously? What do people see in the last Jedi?

Simple, it had scenes that made me happy, that made me cheer, and that made me sad. Few movies can do that for me.

The Leia doing a Mary poppins in space was enough to make it crap.

Why? We already know she's capable of using the Force. In Phantom Menace, we saw Jedis survive a completely poison gassed room just fine. Why is it so inconceivable, that a person gifted in the Force, could pull on those resources when faced with death, to do something extraordinary? Direction floating and temporary vacuum survival seems a mere parlor trick compared to lifting an X-Wing with your mind...

But that stupid side story too that was disjointed and out of place?

Totally admit that was pointless, but the Kylo/Luke faceoff bit totally made up for it. I blame that side trek scene on the snowflake influence.

And lets not forget what they did with Luke making him a loser hobo.

This actually makes perfect sense, given what happened during Ben's training, and that moment. It makes sense he'd walk away from it, and close himself off to it, to not be drawn back in.

Similar things happen in the novels too after brushes with his own dark side, so it's perfectly in character, despite Hamil's feelings on the matter.
edit on 30-5-2018 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

I have never seen a movie in 4d, sounds epic and I am very jealous of you getting to meet lando himself and I want to know more.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   
So Lando is "Pansexual" and KK is not a SJW. Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Right. (rolls eyes)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Loved this movie! I was fully prepared for it to suck based on all the bad reviews. It certainly does not suck and it takes a proper Star Wars fan to see that. So many cool easter eggs and references to spot, lost on most moviegoers and anyone under a certain age no doubt and completely lost on all the tossers that criticize movies for a living.

***Spoylerz****

A couple of things seemed 'borrowed' like the James Bond alleyway car stunt and the wee gibbon man that seemed like a rip off of Rocket the Raccoon from Guardians of the Galaxy, if you could call those complaints.

Woody was brilliant in it and you could see the mannerisms that Han adopted later and that despite the betrayal he was a role model to him. Very well written character I thought. As was Lando. The droid L3 was not as annoying as some people are saying and I actually liked her. A wee bit like Bender from Futurama with her Robots first mentality. The fact she was uploaded into the Falcon explains a few things for geeks like me that are obsessed enough to ponder such matters.

I saw it in terrible quality, terrible picture, terrible sound, it still blew me away. I need to see it again in 3D with big sound now that I know it's worth seeing. Chewy steals the movie for me. I knew he would!

Some of the bits with the Falcon during the Kessle Run escape was giving me a slight fizzing sensation behind the penis. I think I need to lay off the Star Wars for a bit.

As for The Last Jedi. Yes, it's a mess and I hate some of the things that they decided to do with the story, but, it took me a lot of viewings of it to reach that conclusion. At first I thought it was brilliant. It was only after time that it didn't sit well with me. Especially what they did with Luke at the end. I think it took some of my friends pointing out how messed up it was for me to see it. Episode 9 will need to be pretty # hot to make up for it.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
You want to know solo read the books .
The only other star wars related books I enjoyed at all were about the first systh Darth Ban .
solo At stars end 1 - 2 -han solos revenge 3 han solo
Ones showing how he grew up from around 9 years old on
paradise snare - the Hutt gambit - Rebel dawn

Tells his life right up till he ran into the princess .
as for the dark side Vader and the the other dude had nothing on
On Darth bane - two books
Path of destruction
and Rule of two
Ill tell you right now there are 7 hit star wars based movies .
All the rest of this stuff I cant even site through its so bad As for this hon solo movie well I like the one I know now thanks .

a few Of the books I like the most .
One thing I really hate about scifi is the movie people do not do the research and time and time again put stuff in that is NOT star trek or star wars stuff or just plan wrong .

This stuff was books that expanded on original movie or shows and most stick with the script wile movies fail time and time again
That one new star wars movie were Harrison ford was in and killed was so bad I wanted to puke

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Bet most people dont know Han almost became a storm trooper .
Bet most people dont know the reason why he became a out law is he saved chewy as wile as a storm trooper he refused to stand by wile chewwy was killed and was dishonorably discharged .
Ps that is why chewwy stuck around btw his people believe in life depths .
Solo saved his so after that chewy had to stick with him

edit on 31-5-2018 by midnightstar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: midnightstar
Bet most people dont know Han almost became a storm trooper .
Bet most people dont know the reason why he became a out law is he saved chewy as wile as a storm trooper he refused to stand by wile chewwy was killed and was dishonorably discharged .
Ps that is why chewwy stuck around btw his people believe in life depths .
Solo saved his so after that chewy had to stick with him

I like the twist in the film that he didn't even get through his training on Carida and got busted to being a lowly Imperial army trooper rather that being allowed into the storm trooper or pilots corps
edit on 31-5-2018 by DieGloke because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: midnightstar

None of its cannon though now.

All still good stuff

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   

I have never seen a movie in 4d, sounds epic and I am very jealous of you getting to meet lando himself and I want to know more.

Was a first for me too, with the 4D bit. Basically, like D-Box on steroids, and married with 3D.

So, you had on 3D glasses, and sat in a 4D chair. The chair has foot rests too, so unlike D-Box, feet move too, and it has a MUCH bigger range of motion. Every time someone got shoved in the back, we felt it. When laser blasts whizzed by, puffs of air simulated it. Even ash rained down in front of the seats during explosions, etc. Water you'd feel, when it was raining, and a chill when cold. Not to mention the motion of the flight scenes. Well worth the $20 to see it that way.

On Lando, it was at the MegaCon convention in Orlando this past weekend. He was just one of many celebs there, and that we met over the course of the weekend. Kind of a hobby the wife and I have. (you can tell we're big nerds). It was pretty brief, as most of these photo ops are, but it's nice to meet folks you grew up watching, even if just for a minute or so. We met Carrie Fisher just about a year before she passed. While amazing, she was a little nutso too....and paranoid. But sweet (and of course, had her dog Gary with her).

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   
so I saw this movie for a second time and although I am still not a huge fan of it, I think I hated it a little bit less, that is to say its not as bad as I thought it once was.

I know that some have talked about El3 seems more like a parody of SJW's and I have to agree on a second viewing, I think that it is a symptom of the Lord/Miller director change and when viewed like that she is less annoying.

I still have to mintage that the third act of the movie is seriously lacking though, even with that cameo.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join