It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Tensions rise between China and Japan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 05:19 AM
link   
While the world is focusing on the Middle East and North Korea, relations between China and Japan have been deteriorating since 2001. At the center of the latest conflict is a small group of uninhabited islands in the East China Sea, claimed by both countries.

story.news.yaho o.com
Last week, Tokyo announced that the Japanese Coast Guard had assumed the maintenance of a private lighthouse on one of the islands, set up by a right-wing group in 1986 as a symbol of Japanese sovereignty.

China, which challenges Japan's claim to the islands, accused Japan of a "severe provocation" and said the move was "illegal and invalid" and "absolutely unacceptable."

Flare-ups over the islands have occurred in the past, but the stakes are rising. The islands, also claimed by Taiwan, include 11,700 square miles of surrounding maritime territory, rich in fishing resources, natural gas reserves and sea lanes critical in the event of war.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Stability in this region is an important factor in keeping North Korea contained, and conflict between the two major regional powers could create chaos at the worst possible time.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Japan isnt really rated too highly by North Korea either, and North Korea has (apparently) nukes that can reach Japan. Lets hope this area of the world does not explode

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Japan isnt really rated too highly by North Korea either, and North Korea has (apparently) nukes that can reach Japan. Lets hope this area of the world does not explode

Add in Taiwan who everybody seems to want a piece of, and it could be just the diversion North Korea would like right now.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by snotbooger
Add in Taiwan who everybody seems to want a piece of, and it could be just the diversion North Korea would like right now.

Exactly,
North Korea needs to be watched, not ignored

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Yeah, I said that China could invade Japan in a WWII scenorio, a few weeks ago, citing that the tensions between China and Japan are high. I cannot remember who I was discussing with now, but I do remember them ridiculing me for saying this. So, whoever it was, in your face!

....I wonder if it was Vagabond......

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   
What could be the motivation of the Japanese upping the stakes ? Do they want to keep the usa governments focus on asia (read Nkorea) now that the usa government seems to be focussing on Syria / Lebanon ????

BTW: In Lebanon live a lot of christian people, so a liberation might be much more welcomed as a true liberation than in iraq...Some actual honour and goodwill and tickertape parade is to be gained in Lebanon.

[edit on 19-2-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Russia, China, and France are currently collaborating, and conducting "war games" as we speak...er... i mean type... originally put together to thwart US global domination, could also prove a useful alliance in the China/Japan/Taiwan snaffou. Regardless, sounds less-than Zen...

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Under-estimating Japan

Japan has the ability to build massive amounts of nukes in short order and will do so if deemed and determined necessary for its security and survival.

Japan has a very impressive navy and a very real threat to China's and North Korea's navies.

February 19, 2005: The JMSDF (Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force) is arguably the second-best navy in the Pacific, trailing only the United States Navy. The JMSDF has a large number modern surface combatants and the third-largest submarine force among Pacific naval powers, and it could be a potential player in any fight across the Formosa Strait due to the fact that Japan’s ties with Taiwan have become much closer.

ARMED FORCES OF THE WORLD: The Mighty Japanese Navy

Of further interest to this discussion are these articles that have just transpired within the last few days:
Japan to join U.S. on Taiwan policy
U.S.-Japan Joint Statement on North Korea

Russia and the West once under-estimated the Japanese, much to the destruction of the Russian Navy. As such, China and North Korea had better not do the same.

Its a History thang' and deals with something like repeating itself.

seekerof

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Yes, we should all be glad that the Japanese seems mainly concerned with stability in the region, the could do a lot of damage if they had imperial intentions...

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Perhap's it can be agreed there are lot countries with a lot problems with other countries. Japan may as well get into the goo too.

China, I'm not sure..its another one of those quietly-loud voices that continues to be spooky. Sort of walk softly but carry a big nuke. Not to mention having a hand around N Korea's neck and saying now be nice. (for now?).
Dallas

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Under-estimating Japan

Japan has the ability to build massive amounts of nukes in short order and will do so if deemed and determined necessary for its security and survival.

Rubbish. You talk as if Japan is going to pull hundreds of nukes out of thin air.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Japan has a high technology infrastructure and nuclear material (they are a leading producer of nuclear energy), of course they could construct a nuclear weapon very quickly. Besides, the first move anyway would be for the U.S. to station its own nuclear missiles there as we did in Europe during the cold war.

new topics

top topics

join