It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space and time making me crazy

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Starhooker
And it’s not on your side

It is absolutely on our side!!!!

There are infinite possibilities of beings that didn't even get the chance to ponder that question!

edit on 30-5-2018 by Krahzeef_Ukhar because: editing is fun

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   

And it’s not on your side

Indeed.

But I don't worry about what is going to happen in 10^32 years from now when the proton decay sets in and matter begins to fall apart.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   

This is your life, and it’s ending one minute at a time. Time quantifies decay. Entropy is real, time is a word.

Entropy is real and time measures entropy sure. But that doesn't mean time=entropy. It can also measure speed which is not entropy.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

What you're not understanding is that time as a measurement is a construct a human construct. Time itself exists but its relative to the space of which it's being measured in. For instance in a strong gravity will time moves much slower because space is compressed relative to an area where there is not a strong gravity well where space is not as compressed. This is where the idea of traveling it close to the speed of light wood take much less time relative to the original location. That's because as you approach as a massive object approaches the speed of light it gains infinite Mass so it's gaining mass which creates compressed space which slows down time. Since there's no way of knowing how compressed space is any measurement of time is only relative to that moment in time relative to The Observer measuring time.

Jaden

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Nah you wont go crazy, just get some good sleep and you wont get put into lock step with the gnar gnar.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
a reply to: stormcell

"But the funny thing is, the faster the speed some atomic and sub-atomic particles travel at, the slower time passes by for all those particles. A highly unstable high energy particle that would last milliseconds if stationary, will survive billions of years travelling at light speed".

Now put those speeds in context from the observers perspective at their location respectively, infinitely large and infinitely small....

Right!

We can see the most distant galaxies redshifting so much that it indicates they and or(us) are traveling at essentially the speed of light, relative to one another.

Your quote about speed of light and time...makes me think that photons are, by nature, immune to time, mostly.

When in a vacuuum they travel the speed of light naturally, ergo, time immune aka free of being bound to atomic leptons such as the electron fields of nitrogen in the atmosphere, or electron fields of iron in your blood, all of which "slow" the photons from speed of light.

So whatever force fermions/mass exert (gravity) may be the key, because as far as we know, light shouldnt be affected by mass based things, as itself is massless, yet it is affected by mass.

Also,
Why do photons propel by nature like this, mono directional...

Whereas quarks spin and create conglomerate nuclei.

ugh.
edit on 5302018 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Physicist John Wheeler once famously said:

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once"

This may seem like a flippant thing to say (and it is on some levels), but it has some really deep implications.

Let's imagine for a moment that time is not real, and what we perceive as events happening in a certain order is actually all just an illusion. That could mean that all events -- the past, present, and future of the entire universe -- is actually happening (has happened?) all at once -- i.e., the entire lifetime/history of the universe is really an instantaneous event, but our perception of that instantaneous event is clouded by the illusion of time, an illusion that seems to make that instant progress through time as separate, orderly events.

Or not.

edit on 30/5/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   

This is your life, and it’s ending one minute at a time. Time quantifies decay. Entropy is real, time is a word.

Fermions such as atoms decay, yes. Half lives.

Photons however, they dont decay as far as we know.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Masterjaden

What you're not understanding is that time as a measurement is a construct a human construct. Time itself exists but its relative to the space of which it's being measured in. For instance in a strong gravity will time moves much slower because space is compressed relative to an area where there is not a strong gravity well where space is not as compressed. This is where the idea of traveling it close to the speed of light wood take much less time relative to the original location. That's because as you approach as a massive object approaches the speed of light it gains infinite Mass so it's gaining mass which creates compressed space which slows down time. Since there's no way of knowing how compressed space is any measurement of time is only relative to that moment in time relative to The Observer measuring time.

Jaden

This looks like what I usually see. It is probably textbook. Maybe you can explain to me what maybe is just a semantic lack of precision or maybe I am barking up the wrong tree.

"What you're not understanding is that time as a measurement is a construct a human construct. Time itself exists but its relative to the space of which it's being measured in. For instance in a strong gravity will time moves much slower because space is compressed relative to an area where there is not a strong gravity well where space is not as compressed."

Here you say "time moves much slower" Wouldn't that be space time? As opposed to time? Because if time moved more slowly that would suggest the unit of time itself changed. In actuality it is space that is compressed. If the unit of time changes, that makes everything dependent upon that unreliable, including the speed of light.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Time is a dimension of space , they are essentially the same thing , we can measure time but we don't understand it.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: CreationBro

Your quote about speed of light and time...makes me think that photons are, by nature, immune to time, mostly.

A photon does not experience time between the moment it is emitted and the moment it is absorbed. So when you see the light from the Andromeda Galaxy, that light may have taken 2.5 million years to get from the star that emitted it in that galaxy, across the vacuum of space, and be absorbed by your retina -- but from the photon's point of view (if it had a point of view), it experiences no passage of time, and the moment between being emitted and being absorbed was instantaneous.

It could almost be argued that the photon is not really there (say, for example) in the vacuum between the star that emitted it and your eye. In some ways, it could be said that the photon existed at the place it was emitted, and sometime later it again existed at the place it was absorbed -- with that "sometime later" being equivalent to the speed of light x the distance between emission and absorption, but it may not have existed in the time and space in between emission and absorption.

So one photon being emitted by the star 2.5 million LY away and then absorbed by you retina is no different (to the photon) as being emitted by an atom and almost immediately absorbed another atom directly adjacent to it.

That's one weird way of looking at it.

edit on 30/5/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Damn, youre right though. Makes me think that light is in wave form (probablities) unless it is captured by atoms.

In the shower earlier I was thinking about photons and this thread and the idea that photons are shaped sort of like chevrons popped into my head.

I just looked it up, and new research shows photons as being shaped as such:

cosmosmagazine.com...

Looks kind of like the iron cross 😨

Or the Great pyramid from top down:

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Yes, and then my head spins thinking in terms of gravity proportionate to mass. That is massive suns gravitation verses our sun. I mean like Betelgeuse and even larger stars. And how that might affect bending light or slowing/speeding it..

www.youtube.com...
a reply to: CreationBro

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Lensing phenomenon makes the universe that much weirder.

I never get tired of learning more.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People
Physicist John Wheeler once famously said:

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once"

This may seem like a flippant thing to say (and it is on some levels), but it has some really deep implications.

Let's imagine for a moment that time is not real, and what we perceive as events happening in a certain order is actually all just an illusion. That could mean that all events -- the past, present, and future of the entire universe -- is actually happening (has happened?) all at once -- i.e., the entire lifetime/history of the universe is really an instantaneous event, but our perception of that instantaneous event is clouded by the illusion of time, an illusion that seems to make that instant progress through time as separate, orderly events.

Or not.

Maybe the universe is finite in size but like a fairground attraction light is reflected and looped back in every direction, so we just see reflections of reflections at different angles and times.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Have you ever considered that time is just a tool to quantify scientific elements?

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   
This might shed a bit of insight. A thought... light travels in time, but light can be bent by gravity...?

astronomy.com...

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   
“Emergent gravity,” as Verlinde calls it, is the idea that gravity is not a fundamental governance of our universe, but instead a reaction to the makeup of a given environment. Rather than thinking of gravity as a fundamental force, something that “just is,” is it possible that gravity is actually the result of the positions of quantum bodies, similar to the way temperature is derived from the motions of individual particles?"

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Thinking will drive you crazy because you can think whatever you want. The only thing real is experience. You cannot really conclude too much beyond it.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
This might shed a bit of insight. A thought... light travels in time, but light can be bent by gravity...?

astronomy.com...

Light always travels in a straight line. Gravity bends the space in which light is traveling. So gravity is bending that straight line path of light, making it only appear that the light itself is traveling in a bent line.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join