It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Roseanne' Canceled at ABC Following Racist Tweet

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

We don't need a racist POS disrupting the flow on set.

Is Carlos Mencia still a member of SAG?

If he's on TV, yes. I've never heard of him.

He did have a TV show, "Mind of Mencia." He's a racist hack comedian who steals most of his jokes. Wasn't sure if he was SAG, but he certainly seems to be on enough sets.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   

He's a racist hack comedian who steals most of his jokes.

He certainly stole Jimmy and Eric's joke.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   
People talk about this multimillionaire represents the white working class.

The white working class in America ARE NOT ignorant stupid racist bigots.

They are noble people just like most people.

You don’t have to hire such to show us the white working class

Look at the great Jackie Gleason show, the Honeymooners, still comes on with the great Art Carney

You don’t need to show us bigots to represent a group of people

edit on 29-5-2018 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   

He did have a TV show, "Mind of Mencia." He's a racist hack comedian who steals most of his jokes. Wasn't sure if he was SAG, but he certainly seems to be on enough sets.

It's one thing to make racist jokes, It's totally different when you single out an individual black person and call her an ape.
Almost impossible to keep advertisers with that mind set.

I know it's a difficult concept!
edit on 29-5-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

ABC knew who they were hiring...someone who was once sued for posting George Zimmerman's parents' address on Twitter because she wanted justice for Trayvon.

THAT was ok with ABC. But, THIS, crosses a line?

Yeah, whatever.

For whatever reason besides this tweet, ABC did not want the reboot to continue.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

she didnt call her an ape though.

hell man you guys that are all offended cant even agree on what the big offense is.

youre saying she singled out 1 person and called her an ape
others are saying she called black people apes

thing is she did neither

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
People talk about this multimillionaire represents the white working class.

The white working class in America ARE NOT ignorant stupid racist bigots.

They are noble people just like most people.

You don’t have to hire such to show us the white working class

Look at the great Jackie Gleason show, the Honeymooners, still comes on with the great Art Carney

You don’t need to show us bigots to represent a group of people

One of the running Honeymooners gags was domestic violence...

The point on Roseanne wasn't that the actors represented middle America, because NONE of the Hollywood crowd can possibly do so. The point was the characters represented working middle class America fairly well. Having to juggle which bills to pay each month and which ones to let slip a month because the car won't run, dealing with fear of the unknown, dealing with having to tell kids "No, can't afford it" almost on a daily basis, taking double shifts to afford presents for the kids, putting up with crap in a job you hate just because it pays the bills. These were things not on TV sitcoms in the 90s outside of Roseanne. Married with Children came close, but even that one... how in the blue hell did Al Bundy afford that house in that neighborhood on a shoe salesman's salary?

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: olaru12

she didnt call her an ape though.

hell man you guys that are all offended cant even agree on what the big offense is.

youre saying she singled out 1 person and called her an ape
others are saying she called black people apes

thing is she did neither

And lets not forget, this thread alone has shown many people calling george bush a monkey, such as bill maher.

But they are ok with that.

Again, I think what roseanne did was dumb.

But for the people that just know it is always racist to compare someone to an ape, they seem to only be selective in that outrage.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   

It's one thing to make racist jokes, It's totally different when you single out an individual black person and call her an ape.

Yeah, it is different... one is categorizing an entire people by stereotypes, the other is using humor to get under an individual's skin. That seems to be the difficult concept here... the difference between a once off directed at an individual who you believe is a POS and usage of hateful jokes to pan an entire race or group of people you don't even have individual beef with.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   

There is Also the possibility that Barr made those comments Deliberately to get Media attention , and then to Compare Her Public comments to say , a Kathy Griffin Beheading of a sitting President , or some other Publicized Liberal Rants that have Offended some people .....

Tit for Tat ?
edit on 29-5-2018 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

That's horrible! Don't you know that show endorses domestic violence?!

POW! Right in the kisser ... For shame ...

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That's horrible! Don't you know that show endorses domestic violence?!

"Endorsed". Past tense. But so did the cartoons of those days. Ralph Cramdon morphed into Archie Bunker and Archie Bunker Morphed into Walter White!

edit on 29-5-2018 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

There is Also the possibility that Barr made those comments Deliberately to get Media attention , and then to Compare Her Public comments to say , a Kathy Griffin Beheading of a sitting President , or some other Publicized Liberal Rants that have Offended some people .....

Tit for Tat ?

Maybe, but thats dumb as well.

Look my point is quite clear.

First and foremost, she was dumb, this very well could have been her being racist, and easily could have been interpreted as such.

ABC had every right to fire her.

But there are double standards that should be addressed on what type of insults can be said.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: Xtrozero

The one on the right is Neanderthal !!

😊

The original is Ernest Borgnine, man it is fun to make fun of people no one can call you racist on...

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   

And lets not forget, this thread alone has shown many people calling george bush a monkey, such as bill maher.

Right. Because that isn't considered racist. I see what you are saying but it's a perception. Calling George Bush a monkey is based on the individual himself, not on the race. Actually if a person acts like a monkey, regardless of race, then it's ok to call them out for that behavior.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 08:24 PM
link   

OK, so stupidity of Barr's comment aside as I think we can all agree it's dumb ...

I thought the main objection is the historical use of ape in conjunction with blacks as a group alluding to their supposedly lesser evolved status as a slur, and I thought that is what got Barr in trouble -- people got offended because they decided she was referring to all blacks as the "Planet of the Apes" in a sort of racist shorthand without really any clues as to what she exactly meant.

Doing such a thing would be racist, but it's not clear if that's what was intended.

But what if she leveled the insult personally at Jarrett herself? Like if I called her toad because she looks like a toad to me (sort of squat with a broad mouth). That would certainly be insulting, but where does it make it racist? Was it racist when people called Michelle Obama a wookie? That was certainly insulting and tasteless, but it was personally directed straight at her. So again, I'd have to say the only reason anyone would have to decide that leveling that insult at Jarrett is racist is because they're falling back on the first paragraph's reasoning.

Which gets back to my suspicion all day --- if you belong to a victim class or three, you are protected from being personally insulted because people will get outraged on your behalf assuming someone is naturally an -ist or -phobe of the proper type when they really just don't like you all that much.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   

It's ok to call a white politician a pasty reptilian baby eater and not lose job. Even HINT the word monkey in close proximity to black person and everyones heads role.

Do black people really think of themselves as monkeys? Because the networks reaction would suggest as much...

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

First and foremost, she was dumb, this very well could have been her being racist, and easily could have been interpreted as such.

ABC had every right to fire her.

But there are double standards that should be addressed on what type of insults can be said.

Or as I said, she asked for more money with the popularity the show has and when they said no, she sank the show with one Tweet.

link   

In Mencia's CD "Take a Joke America" , he jokes a lot about the reason people are so stupid. He says "when a C student marry's a C student or worse, we get duh du duh's."

He is still out there but not making it big time even though he has some real funny stuff. Dave Chapel another one being non PC with that crack head character he does and his hilarious stuff about white people.

link   

originally posted by: RowanBean

Right. Because that isn't considered racist. I see what you are saying but it's a perception. Calling George Bush a monkey is based on the individual himself, not on the race. Actually if a person acts like a monkey, regardless of race, then it's ok to call them out for that behavior.

Yes and all im am saying is that it is possible that Roseannes comments werent based on a racial slur, but more about the features of the woman and the character from that movie.

Perhaps she felt valeire jarrett was acting like a monkey.

Again, it was dumb a decsion on her part, I have said my oart on that.

But this isnt a clear cut of racism (though it could be racist)

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join