It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drinking Problems

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Try some smoked fish, pickled herring, or some pickled eggs. A good cinnamon roll works good too.
You are giving me ideas for one hell of a freaky Bloody Mary.
Mary was a freak.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

The fun buzz in alcohol comes from a little of the mash being added back to the distilled alcohol. White lightning just makes your legs turn to rubber, it does make you and others laugh when nobody can get up though. Tyramines can also be involved in some people's hangovers though, but it is totally worth it.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Jim Beam??!!

Well, there is your first problem. That stuff is best with a coke or mixers. Best you will discover with that is a headache! That is because it is a mixture from different barrels and ages made to taste perfectly bland.

Second, find a decent bar. If your bartender is worth their salt, they know the difference and can explain it all to you while you sample. We have a place that actually does "flights" which are smaller pours but several varieties (usually done by region or by distillery). Try you sample neat, one with a couple ice cubes, and have water at hand (palate cleanser). It is all personal taste at that point.

After a couple tastings you should have a better understanding of terms and methods of consumption.

Only then go to the liquor store to by a bottle! Stick with a region (like Kentucky bourbons), or with a specific distillery. Buy single barrel (never blends unless you want to get blended!!). Sip slow. Enjoy the flavor. Only do a couple glasses at most!

I have a friend that enjoys a nice, aged, bourbon. About every other month, I will have one with him. We even found a bar that had Rip Van Winkle at a ridiculous low price (they did not know what they had! So they sold it like they would Jack Daniels! Ah! Good days were had!!)

Do not be intimidated! It is a learning process. Take your time. Relax!

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear

originally posted by: underwerks
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha
Jim Beam is what we used to drink as teenagers and fight each other. Now I can’t even smell that or Southern Comfort without wanting to throw up.

Get a good Glenlivet would be my advice, I like the 18 year old. Or if that’s too expensive my second choices would be Makers Mark or Woodford Reserve. They’re a little more reasonable. Bullit bourbon isn’t too bad either, same with Buffalo Trace.

I’m from Kentucky, and we haven’t trusted Jim Beam since Booker Noe infiltrated and took the company over. Look on the side of the bottle.

Buffalo Trace is the best inexpensive bourbon in the market. It's Pappy Van Winkle but not as aged. Actually, I prefer Buffalo to Pappy. Livet is decent Scotch for the money as well.

People say I’m crazy when I say I don’t like Pappy, but I don’t. I’d much rather have some buffalo trace or even Makers instead. There’s just something about the flavor that I can’t stand. My roommate got a crazy deal on a case of Pappy about 5 years ago and got it as an investment. We pulled out one bottle to try it, and I just ended up drinking beer lol.

I’m the same with Grappa. It’s crazy expensive but I can’t stand it.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I had a friend who was always packing a half gallon jug of Black Velvet.
We had some good times guzzling that swill.
She is dead now.
But, on the brighter side of the news, I'm not.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
And here I thought Jack Daniels...

Jack Daniels is actually quite decent for what it is and consistently smooth.

You can thank Frank Sinatra for making it famous, he and the Rat Pack put it on the map.

And in more recent years, Slash.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 11:47 PM
link   
In summary:

A few posts were interesting and helpful, thanks.

A lot weren't really very helpful, sorry.

I'm not going to drop 50-200 dollars on a fifth just because some people are pretentious snobs.

I'm not a pretentious snob and I don't have that kind of bucks to throw around.

I'll just figure it out on my own and I don't care about the embarrassment.

Anyways, I drink alone so it doesn't matter what anyone says.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
Anyways, I drink alone so it doesn't matter what anyone says.

Well, more power to ya! Just don't overdo the alone part. I've been there and that place gets dark real quick.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Some drinking problems are worse than others.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join