It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family ganged up and attacked me.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

You have a better idea?

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

You have a better idea?

Don't get worked up about television shows.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Joneselius

Hmmmm....that's kinda what you get for trying to tell other people how to raise their kids....even if it is your family....you come across as kinda of a dick...

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   

The homophobe part is not why they're mad. It was because, to them/her she thought you were putting down her parenting skills. You said "why do you let your kids watch this trash?, and how you'd never let your child watch it, because of the adult content.

Women do NOT like to be told they are parenting wrong. I'm sure the trans/phobia played a part, but the reason you were blocked is because of the "i'm a better parent than you" impression they got.

I agree with you that kids should not be watching that crap. Boys or girls. You may have to apologize to get back in their good graces.

edit on 28-5-2018 by EchoesInTime because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Did they voice their side of their opinions or just went off on a rant and you kept feeding them more and more material to throw back at you?

This is one of the main reasons why people are so divided now days. No one actually sits down understand a view point, we seem to just throw what we think is right and disregard WHY the other person thinks the way they do.
Your sisters obviously had strong opinions and they may have gone right over your head over the years. They seem to be paying attention to something you never had an interest in.
My girlfriend is the same to be honest, she will go off on a rant after I blab about something I read or a theory or opinion, and she will start talking about social issues and such, next day I think about it and piece together what she said, then it clicks, to a certain extent.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Honestly, if I was in this discussion I would have took your side, sounds like a discussion with heathens to me.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: EchoesInTime

The homophobe part is not why they're mad. It was because, to them/her she thought you were putting down her parenting skills. You said "why do you let your kids watch this trash?, and how you'd never let your child watch it, because of the adult content.

Women do NOT like to be told they are parenting wrong. I'm sure the trans/phobia played a part, but the reason you were blocked is because of the "i'm a better parent than you" impression they got.

I agree with you that kids should not be watching that crap. Boys or girls. You may have to apologize to get back in their good graces.

You make a good point that I overlooked, because I read it at face value & didn't consider any deeper meaning on the sisters' part. Now re-reading the OP with the undertones you're pointing out, it does indeed reek of insulting someone's parenting, accidentally or otherwise.

Yeah OP, an apology would go a long way in that case. I've never nitpicked over what friends let their kids watch, but I've nitpicked over the helicopter parenting, and it didn't go over well. I also figured out real quick my opinion doesn't mean s# when it's someone else's kids, kind of like how someone else's opinion doesn't mean s# when it's my kids.
Just apologize and keep your parenting opinions to yourself from here out.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:45 PM
link   
How else are young Progressive Liberals formed ?

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

I apologized for that, thanks for asking though.

They didn't focus on that at all, and when they dispense their 'advice' like pez pills I swallow it.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   

I know nothing about this reality tv show you speak of... But regardless, like seriously dude... I think your taking life far to seriously.

This TV show couldn't possibly be significant enough to be worth burning relationships with family members.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Rule Numero Uno for a good family event is to not talk about divisive s# (politics, religion, orientation, you know, the crap that pisses people off hotly)

Just had two relatives come from Europe to visit the family for a while. We were sitting around the table talking about random stuff when the topic of migrants in Europe came up. Well, the mood quickly started shifting. The female relative suddenly got all defensive and swore that there was no such thing as a problem with migrants in Europe and that anything saying so is fake news. I showed her a video of migrants marching through the streets and she claimed it was just a special event and the news is making things up.

Not talking about politics or religion is pretty good advice.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I already apologized to them for the children part.

The whole debate after that was the reason for the OP.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

What are you on about,

Did you read the OP? I wasn't making a thing out of it, THEY did! I simply aired my opinion, which was ASKED for. Come on, at least read the OP.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
This TV show couldn't possibly be significant enough to be worth burning relationships with family members.

I think you're drastically underestimating how seriously some people take their TV shows.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

I think people are making too many assumptions about what happened, without asking first. Jeez!

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   
It's been my experience to mind my own business, especially when discussing child rearing practices with mothers. They don't want your opinion.

You reap what you sow....Corinthians 6-7

edit on 28-5-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Joneselius
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

What are you on about,

Did you read the OP? I wasn't making a thing out of it, THEY did! I simply aired my opinion, which was ASKED for. Come on, at least read the OP.

But you said in the OP you asked them why they let their kids parrot and watch the television show.

So.. you were kind of the antagonist if someone were to take your OP as written.
edit on 28-5-2018 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   

I apologized for that.

Also, as stated, they continuously mock and berate me for wanting a Christian home for my child. I never, ever say anything at all.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Why not? It's as easy as saying something like, "we might have different parenting styles, to each their own."

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Said that too.

I know my sisters were being unreasonable and that's why I argued.
I didn't think that they'd try, and succeed to emotionally wound me. To hurt me.

These common sense things people are saying, I TRIED THEM, all of them. I told them "we obviously disagree so can we leave it here before someone falls out". Nope. I got attacked!

I think it may be a difference in education and the ability to express themselves. My twin, who is educated, didn't join in and supported me, albeit secretly. I guess what I'm upset about is my sisters inability to put aside her foolish notions about defending a minority to keeping a healthy relationship with her brother.

My other sister too.......

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join