It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family ganged up and attacked me.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on May, 28 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Had a massive fight this fine eve' with the family and I'd like to hash it out with you guys. I'm not doing this to rub my ego or 'prove a point' I simply want a diverse opinion as I can and any response will be welcomed.

So. I'm guessing we have all, by now at least, heard of the cultural phenomena that is Ru Paul's Drag Race.
My three sister's love that show and everything about it, they quote it as often as they can and I have put up with it for a long, long time.
Tonight was a different story. I asked my sister, who has 2 children aged 7 and 11 why she allowed her children to parrot and watch the show, seeing as I think it has raunchy undertones that aren't suitable for kids. I have a child myself and would not allow my child to watch it.
I asked also why it was that everyone has such a fascination with something I consider to be quite perverse. Using the LITERAL definition of the word.

My sister launched into a tirade at me accusing me of being homophobic (I did not say ONE thing about gay people, other than that acronym used includes trans' people). I then had another sister jump in claiming I was being bigoted and homophobic because I asked them why drag queens choose such deliberately provoking names and wear such ludicrous attire (I was genuinely curious btw).
I then went and watched a segment of Ru Paul to see if I was being unreasonable and, low and behold, he's playing a game where he's hidden a 'pickle' in a box that's supposedly a man's penis (which is the joke that's implied when the other 'queen' had to blindly feel the box in his lap). I was like, okay........

I then asked why it was okay for them to marginalize me for disagreeing with them on this issue and why their loyalty lay with someone they'd never met or have anything in common with? I also asked how disagreeing with drag was 'homophobic'. More hate was thrown at me.
It was at the point one of my 'sisters' started mocking, openly, Christ in our discussion for NO reason at all, no one mentioned it. I just let that slide as it's not my place to preach to her, I know she'd reject me.
I had to endure the abuse whilst at the same time being accused of abusing. I was in despair at this point so lashed out at them saying "You can't accept me for my beliefs and you're attacking me based on that, yet accusing ME of being bigoted"?

I guess this rant comes down to this. Why, OH WHY are people so pathologically INCAPABLE of hearing both sides of a debate? I see it ALL THE TIME on ATS and it's so infuriating. Partisan shiz and people towing their 'left/right lines and slogans, their people and parties yada yada.

Is this the new normal. Families divided over arbitrary alliances of emotional attachment rather than their familial bond? People forced to stay silent on issues they have an opinion on because others accuse them of 'hate' (A crime in Britain)? People allowed, by virtue of their 'suffering' to very much injure their counter-debater, based purely on their FEELINGS?

I'm now deeply hurt and two of my sisters wont talk to me because I DARED to voice an opposition opinion to their warped frame of reality. Am I the bad guy here ATS? Is disagreeing with drga an automatic trip to the homophone dustbin? I can't even talk to my sisters as they blocked me on social media and live far way. I'm really very upset about this.

I can't change how I think regarding this issue, I like truth too much. People pretending to be something isn't my idea of a 'true self' it's a mask for something they're missing. I'm just confused and tired ATS.

Am I a bigot for disagreeing? How do you see it?
edit on 11/10/2012 by Joneselius because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   
The show is about makeup.
Lots of women watch it.

I have removed part of this post myself saving the mods the trouble.
edit on 5282018 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Joneselius

Most people are emotionally attached to what should be nothing more than moderately informed opinions. Don t know why most people hold these "ideals" so close to their chest and their identities. I'm sure your sisters literally never thought about anything you brought up in all the years they've watched the show.

It's a different opinion, these days most people take them as personal attacks on their character, if not their very souls. Instead of just listening and agreeing or disagreeing.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Are you a bigot for disagreeing? No, probably not. It's it kind of over the top that you didnt let it go? Definitely.

They aren't your kids, so why worry about if they're watching Drag Race?

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   

It his the new normal. Families divided over arbitrary alliances of emotional attachment rather than their familial bond? People forced to stay silent on issues they have an opinion on because others accuse them of 'hate'

well, personally I have zero problems, because...I do hate. I hate trash and I hate people letting kids watch trash.
Easy peasy solution for me as I don't associate with almost all of my Family. The "love" and "family" is not available in this garbage age of Man. They will not love each other they will not be there for each other and they will almost always wish to force you into whatever low habits they have so you can be in there with them.

+12 more 
posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
The show is about makeup.
Lots of women watch it.

Did you skip right over half the OP?
edit on Mon May 28 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: member had edited

+2 more 
posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Not to long ago there was a debate on Bert and Ernie being gay.
Never mind that they are puppet characters on a show for little children.
Sex should not even be a topic for a five year old.

+5 more 
posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   
No... sadly you are not the bad guy.. merely the sane one.

Pray for them OP .. they are stuck in their own delusional hatred and bigotry while you are using common sense.

I say this because I know you love them and it hurts to see them so misguided by junk TV .

link   
The moral of the story is, if you don't have a TV at home you would be happy

link   
Your lesson learned for this family gathering is that you picked your battle poorly.

Rule Numero Uno for a good family event is to not talk about divisive s# (politics, religion, orientation, you know, the crap that pisses people off hotly) You failed at that, and poked the proverbial bear. I'm not feeling particularly sorry for you here.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Whats it to you? Family guy...

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Stopped reading at "Ru Paul's Drag Race".

There's your family's problem.

IM me for where to send the check.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Let's get one thing straight here (no pun intended.) The word "homophobe" is complete B.S. Anyone who uses it to apply to someone else is being really stupid. "Homophobe" means "homo-fear," i.e.: Afraid of homosexuality. The whole idea is an accusation that someone is latently gay themselves and is "afraid" of confronting it. That's part of the mythology of the gay lifestyle. We're all gay, but only out of the closet gays are being truthful and admitting it. So paradoxically, saying you don't like something means you secretly like it. When you allow someone to use the word "homophobe" you are letting them control the narrative. It's also a blatant insult and ought to be confronted as strongly as we confront the "n" word. Anyone who uses it is an idiot. Tell your sisters that. Go on the offensive.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Get ready for more. Satan is working overtime on non-believers. I've never seen anything like it. Time must be getting short. The only advise I have for you is to pray for them. Nothing else is going to work.

edit on 28-5-2018 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
Stopped reading at "Ru Paul's Drag Race".

There's your family's problem.

IM me for where to send the check.

Nail, meet hammer.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined

All I know is nothing like this has EVER happened in our family and now they blow up over this. THIS.

We've discussed everything under the sun and most of it controversial. But now that we disagree on something that society is quickly making a life or death issue I'm cast out as a bigot for disagreeing.

I'm upset, truly I am. They've hurt me and yet they will now sit there in their moral virtue slandering me.

I don't know what to do, what do you DO with people like this. I didn't know my sisters held these massive emotional black holes!

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   

You are literally Hitler.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

You are literally Hitler.

Is that a well read Hitler?

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deetermined

Get ready for more. Satan is working overtime on non-believers. I've never seen anything like it. Time must be getting short. The only advise I have for you is to pray for them. Nothing else is going to work.

...Said a religious zealot every single day since religion existed. Yet...here we are.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Personally, I would just stay away from them for now. It was definitely overkill that they removed you from social media. I too am seeing unusual behavior from people that I never expected before. Pray for them. In fact, ask God to have them contact you when the time is right to try and reconnect.

edit on 28-5-2018 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3  4 >>

join