It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are the new ideas!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   
So this was kind of inspired by seeing the new Solo Movie but I have had this thought for a while now; But seeing the previews while at the Solo movie. I was struck by the fact that almost every movie that was previewed was a remake or a continuation of something. ( I realize I am seeing a movie that is a spin off of a seiries that is eight episodes deep.) The First preview was a remake of Robin Hood, second preview was mission impossible, third preview a spin off of the Harry Potter universe. Another preview starred the "Rock" called Skyscraper which looks like a new age remake of Die Hard.

The only preview I did see that looked original was apparently from a book called "Crazy Rich Asians". But is this what we want as consumers just used up content? Just tried and true ideas? I know there is comfortability in the tried and true which I guess is the reason why we have eight Fast and Furious movies. (So far)

I know that there is and has been original and new content to come out but it justs eems like it is to far and few in between. I understand capitalism and if some thing is a bl0ockbuster you have to do it again and again until it is not a block buster. But man what I wouldnt give to see "A new Content revolution" where we have have a wave of original ideas, and where stories are not afraid to end and sell out for the sake of a sequel.

We Want new Content We want new Content. I want New Content.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   
People like to watch serialized content and studios feed them what they like, if sequels sagas and what not would not make bank as they do studios would not make them, there are new ideas all the time, studios spend smaller budgets and don't advertise them but there are interesting films coming, mostly not in the summer.

Annihilation was an interesting premise, well produced but not supported by the studio so it flopped, it happens all the time.

Another example: I saw a trailer for The Endless, I wanted to see it but dint even knew it came in April and now its gone

edit on 28-5-2018 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
YOU ARE BEING BRAINWASHED.

Not the answer you want, but that's the answer.
edit on 5/28/18 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=23441120]American-philosopher[/post

Ummm...If I misremember correctly...I think there are only 7 themes in story telling...

Every movie...play...and book are centered around these 7 themes...

If you've ever noticed...Star Trek is a cowboy and western...with spaceships...

It's no wonder your tired of the old tried and true...unfortunately I think it might take something completely outside the human experience to accomplish...

Sorry to crash your hope...

YouSir

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Its not hope there is new content out there. I just think we have to work harder to find it. and push it to the mainstream
I think A Quiet Place is a great example of a new idea. (oddly enough I did just hear there is going to be a sequel)

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

I've heard people say 'where are the new ideas' before. This isn't a new idea.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

I thought the same thing when I saw a poster for a remake of Overboard (Kurt Russel and Goldie Hawn.)

Solo was also a horrible yawn fest for how bland and predictable it was.

Movies aren't about ideas or art anymore. They're assembly line products sold for a profit.

edit on 28-5-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

I watched dead pool Saturday night and saw several previews that gave me the exact feeling you described.
I saw oceans eight, an all female cast this time around.
I saw a movie about grown men playing tag.
And a bunch of other brain dead plot lines.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Remakes is where the money is. The moment when people stop going to remakes, and spending their dollars on originality and creativity, is when new ideas will return on the scene.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Every movie made must go through a focus group analysis that assesses the probability of success. Investors are unwilling to spend millions of dollars gambling on some sort of avant-garde idea that may or may not work. Just look at Solo. Even though it has the name and background, a great director in Ron Howard, and a proven star in Donald Glover, its commercial success looks very iffy. It cost $250 million to make and has a total score of $168 million after what was supposed to be a blockbuster weekend opening. I'm sure it will make back its budget, but investors were shooting for a billion. So no wonder.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Where are the new ideas!!

Here's an interesting concept....Write your own instead of complaining.

Join us...the Indy world is exploding. We have 2 on netflix as we speak.

This software is what we use....

www.celtx.com...

or...if you want to get involved in a film project as a producer, there are plenty of worthy cutting edge films looking for money on
indygogo, kickstarter or other crowd funding platforms.

like this one...

www.indiegogo.com...#/
edit on 28-5-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I think we need more movies based on books. If we’re going to copy things, might as well be something that hasn’t been a movie yet.

Stephen King, Chuck Palanhiuk, Leonard Cohen, etc.. While we’re at it, why hasn’t there been a blockbuster H.P. Lovecraft movie yet? Aliens from other dimensions, the end of the world, multiple storylines.. You could make a whole series of dark/sci-if/horror movies that if done right would be up there with Lord of the Rings.
edit on 28-5-2018 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

You could make a whole series of dark/sci-if/horror movies that if done right would be up there with Lord of the Rings.

Or "Game of Thrones" .... Just saw R R Martin in the Grocery Store last week. What a great guy funding indy projects all over town.
Like this one....

io9.gizmodo.com...

www.google.com...

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

You could make a whole series of dark/sci-if/horror movies that if done right would be up there with Lord of the Rings.

Or "Game of Thrones" .... Just saw R R Martin in the Grocery Store last week.

www.google.com...

Ummm...my first introduction to George R. R. Martin was his short story...Sand Kings...

Cripes...that was a long time ago...

YouSir

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Or "Game of Thrones" .... Just saw R R Martin in the Grocery Store last week.

www.google.com...

Oooh that’s right. HBO could probably do it justice in a series format like westworld. It’s one of those things that would be hard to do on a smaller budget just because of the special effects you would need to do it justice.

Though there are some Lovecraft stories that could be character driven. The one about the guy adrift in a submarine that gets pulled down to an ancient city comes to mind. It’s basically just him inside a submarine going crazy.

You’re in the industry, put these ideas out there! Lol. I’ve been waiting on some Lovecraft shows for years.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   

You’re in the industry, put these ideas out there! Lol. I’ve been waiting on some Lovecraft shows for years.

Write an adaptation with a good treatment and let's work on it. I run into Frank Miller from time to time.

But I'm not good at pitching projects....bombed out at this one last year; might try again.

fadeinonline.com...

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Well Someone gambled on that movie Downsizing that bombed.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Thank you for mentioning Netflix, which speaks to another point. of going to the exterme for new content that isnt good. That Netflix just has anything and everything. It like the dollar store of new content. It isnt that good but we have al ot of variety.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   

The Lone Ranger
John carter
Tomorrow land
Ben her
Swing and a miss

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   

No, you don't. You want imagine dragons, Adele, red headed weird looking guy, umpteen millionth Batman movie.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join