It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foley Slurping

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I was watching a show the other day- great acting, beautiful sets, captivating story, and nice soundtrack. But, every time a character would take a drink of something, a distinctive slurping noise could be heard as if they were sucking through a straw to get to the last few drops of a milkshake. It didn't matter if the character was a bum or a princess, they all slurped their drinks! Do people really make slurping noises when they consume beverages or was this for the benefit of blind viewers? The foley "artist" ruined what was an otherwise great series for me.

Am I the only one that can't stand FOLEY SLURPING?

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

My 5 year old does foley work? She LOVES to make slurping sounds. Sends me up all the walls and ceiling.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Blame the editor for adding the sound effects. I have worked on brilliant scripts and productions, totally destroyed by an editor.

And I have also worked on garbage shows that thru brilliant editing; they were transformed into a beautiful work of art.

Foley is an art. In my small village there is an academy award winning foley artist and studio.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I worked in post production after audio engineering school in Hollywood for a little while. Olaru is right, it is an art. I even have friends who have won awards for their work.

I don't think people realize how many of the sounds you hear in movies and the dialogue are done in post production. It kind of ruined a lot of movies for me, because a lot of times people use the same sound effects for different movies and once I hear one I recognize, it tears the whole vibe apart.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

What, it's not real??

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   
What Show/movie was this?

Not saying this was the case, but sometimes those kinds of thing are done to "equalize" characters.
"we're all pigs, despite the expensive clothing" lol

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   

No, you are not the only one who can't stand the slurping. This, and open-mouthed popcorn chomping, are why I do not go to see movies in the movie theater.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

I thought I was alone in this. The sound of chewing is the worst thing for me to hear. It is torture. I mean, I would rather drink my own piss than sit in a room full of eaters. My own wife - bless the woman - she will never understand the emotional turmoil brought on by her potato chip eating. I don't know what it is. I don't know why.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

Select sound sensitivity syndrome, sound-rage. People who are sensitive to certain sounds sometimes cope by blocking them out. Misophonia, literally "hatred of sound", was proposed in 2000 as a condition in which negative emotions, thoughts, and physical reactions are triggered by specific sounds.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Reply to: DictionaryofExcuse

You are not alone! If I'm stuck in a room with someone crunching potato chips, I will actually cry. TORTURE. People who don't have this don't understand it and laugh it off. They wouldn't if they knew the torture it causes!
edit on 28-5-2018 by KansasGirl because: It didn't show whose post I was replying

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

I believe you.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ccseagull

Not sure if that makes me feel better or worse, but thanks for the link.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ccseagull

I also have a reaction to equal-tempered (i.e., Western) music. Mostly the beating of the major thirds, but sixths are also pretty squiffy. Seconds are OK as are fourths and fifths. The ET scale is framed inside perfect octaves so those are fine. People don't get it. Being "in tune" in our music is actually being perfectly out-of-tune. To people like me, it can be hideous. Hideous. And it can change by day, mood, temperature, humidity. Normal people think I'm nuts. My hearing is quite sensitive, I suppose. I have very good relative pitch but not perfect pitch.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Ha, ha - yeah, after I put that there I thought it may not be a good idea.

I'm the same as you: the sound of someone chewing - it is pure agony and I have this internal battle with myself of self calming, self talk, deep breaths and then I feel like I am going to lose it. But that's really the only sound that gets to me. Whereas my daughter is really tormented by sounds. I am currently looking for a noise blocking or some sort, of headphone so she can do her homework and not hear the thumping of basketballs (every driveway seems to have the home courts which is fine until they all get going), the sound of people talking outside/kids, whistling sounds , repetitive type sounds that others may find soothing.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   

I sort of have an idea of what you mean regarding music, but all in all I'm pretty clueless.

I understand the humidity thing: I can't stand the heat and if it's a humid day or a heat blasting day then my tolerance level is low to most anything that I have to interact with/be in environment of.

Just a question, as I am wondering if there is a correlation - did you ever have any tactile sensory issues? Such as not being able to stand the seam in clothing/tags, the less clothes the better? I am personally wondering if there is a connection. Because my daughter did. She is way better now that she is older, but certain things can still get to her.

new topics

top topics

join