It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Checking the media

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   
*Warning: wall of truth below*

Over the last few days, a number of journalists, including the EDITOR-IN-CHIEF for New York Times Magazine (yeah, an editor, you know, the people who are supposed to check the stories for accuracy) tweeted pictures of illegal immigrant children being kept in cages at the border while they were detained by ICE, along with commentary about how we need to stop this as if the images were recent.

What they left out was that the images were from 2014, long before Trump was even a candidate for President. A few hours later, after they were retweeted thousands of times, the tweets were deleted with no explanation from most of them. Did they know President Obama was in office when that happened and were being intentionally misleading, or were they such complete failures during the previous presidency that they really just discovered that happened and assumed it was recent? God only knows.

Now I'm not gonna pretend bad reporting never happened under previous presidents, or that it doesn't happen with reporters on both sides of the political spectrum, but holy hell have the media lost their minds in the last few weeks. Between:

the biased coverage of the Hamas riots;
pretending for days the President referred to all illegal immigrants as "animals" when he was specifically talking about MS-13 gang members;
pretending Trump was lying when he said no White House official existed who said the June 12 meeting with NK was impossible when in fact Trump is correct, no official told them that;
now this misleading reporting about the kids in detention at the border,

the media are decimating their credibility.

I am not a Trump sycophant. IF there's evidence he colluded with the Russians, impeach him, I couldn't care less. But this "oppose Trump at all costs" mentality is more damaging than any of Trump's mean tweets. When he bashes the media, people are outraged because freedom of the press makes the media "defenders of democracy". They "keep government honest". Then when you point out instances like this dishonest reporting, the response is always denial or something dismissive like "well Trump lies too".

So that's the standard for the media now, with the high pedestal we've put them on? They're on a politician's level? That's acceptable? Politicians lie, we crossed that bridge long ago. And you know what, it's OUR fault for accepting that for so long that it's become the norm. In a perfect world, we need to fix that, but you've got to admit that's going to be extremely difficult because we've let it go so far. If we continue to accept the same kind of behavior from our "free press", they will become just like the politicians. And it will again be OUR fault.

Someday Trump will no longer be President. Do we really want a pattern set by then that the media can be just as dishonest as our politicians as long as we like what they're reporting? In these times where 100,000 people can see an inaccurate tweet from a reporter before you can blink, I insist they MUST do better. If media is supposed to keep government honest because we've abrogated that responsibility to them, WE THE PEOPLE at least need to keep the media honest.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   
The problem is medical.

It's the Blue Pill recometer malfunction.

✅🚬

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
The problem is medical.

It's the Blue Pill recometer malfunction.

✅🚬

Rectalmeter

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Got any links to back up your assertions. Not only do I not believe the media, I don't believe you with out links.

Anyone can say anything to back up a partisan agenda.
edit on 28-5-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Got any links to back up your assertions. Not only do I not believe the media, I don't believe you with out links.

Seems to be a non factual editorial piece! You know someone just venting and letting their rage out?

Kinda like some of the stuff from sites like Raw Story I see people using as a source!

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

What's the opposite of decimate?

That's what they are doing to their bottom line.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Seems to be a non factual editorial piece! You know someone just venting and letting their rage out?

Kinda like some of the stuff from sites like Raw Story I see people using as a source!

I know exactly what you mean....

or Drudge, or Infowars, Breitbart, IJR, Gateway Pundit, Newsmax, the Blaze, Daily Caller, Town Hall, National Review, Weekly Standard, Reason, RedState, Jewish World review, Front Page, Heritage fondation, Washington Times, World net Daily, Atlas Shrugs, Fox News, Independent Journal Review, Daily Wire, Washington Free Beacon, Truth Revolt and Free Republic.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   

or Drudge, or Infowars, Breitbart, IJR, Gateway Pundit, Newsmax, the Blaze, Daily Caller, Town Hall, National Review, Weekly Standard, Reason, RedState, Jewish World review, Front Page, Heritage fondation, Washington Times, World net Daily, Atlas Shrugs, Fox News, Independent Journal Review, Daily Wire, Washington Free Beacon, Truth Revolt and Free Republic.

Wrong, as usual.

Link with screenshots

I love how you list all those right-leaning sites like every left-leaning site is infallible too. Could you be any more biased? Yes, this did happen. Go stick your head in the sand if you want. Doesn't change the fact our media, on both sides, have gotten out of control.

I doubt your favorite outlets will report on this and tell you what to think, so you'll just have to take the idiots tweets at face value and draw your own conclusions.
edit on 28 5 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

You got Blue Pill Syndrome.

😀

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

Wrong, as usual.

Link with screenshots

I love how you list all those right-leaning sites like every left-leaning site is infallible too. Could you be any more biased? Yes, this did happen. Go stick your head in the sand if you want. Doesn't change the fact our media, on both sides, have gotten out of control.

Then be the change you seek and start your own NEWS outlet. I'd read it and you would reach more people than just the altright on ATS.

Alex Jones built an empire with bullsh!t and a loud mouth on cable public access TV.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.celtx.com...

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Wrong, as usual.

Link with screenshots

Then be the change you seek and start your own NEWS outlet. I'd read it and you would reach more people than just the altright on ATS.

Alex Jones built an empire with bullsh!t and a loud mouth on cable public access TV.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.celtx.com...

so no apology? just deflection. Noted.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Wrong, as usual.

Link with screenshots

en.wikipedia.org...

www.celtx.com...

Apologize for what, I didn't put up the kids pictures on twitter and lie about it.

I'm all for Truth in Media as well. I don't claim to be non partisan and I don't use twitter to spread my partisan lies like Trump.

time.com...

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Wrong, as usual.

Link with screenshots

en.wikipedia.org...

www.celtx.com...

Apologize for what, I didn't put up the kids pictures on twitter and lie about it.

I'm all for Truth in Media as well. I don't claim to be non partisan.

"I'm all for truth in media, but I listed 20-something news outlets I don't trust and not one of them was left-leaning".

You're not just partisan, you're a devout believer.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Wrong, as usual.

Link with screenshots

en.wikipedia.org...

www.celtx.com...

The Altright has as much right to print, publish, broadcast any thing they choose. It's freedom of expression even if I think it's bullsh!t.

I even support your right and anyone else to insult me on ATS, facebook, etc; Label me as anything you choose, I'm not affected in the least by adolescent namecalling on the www.

I'm a devout believer in freedom of expression, freedom of religion, the 2nd amendment, the Constitution/Bill of Rights, free enterprise and Capitalism.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Wrong, as usual.

Link with screenshots

en.wikipedia.org...

www.celtx.com...

The Altright has as much right to print, publish, broadcast any thing they choose. It's freedom of expression even if I think it's bullsh!t.

I even support your right and anyone else to insult me on ATS, facebook, etc; Label me as anything you choose, I'm not affected in the least by adolescent namecalling on the www.

I'm a devout believer in freedom of expression, freedom of religion, the 2nd amendment, the Constitution/Bill of Rights, free enterprise and Capitalism.

Adolescent namecalling like calling anything you don't agree with "alt-right"?

My OP was non-partisan, in fact I pointed out twice that this same crap happens on both sides of the media. All I've seen you do is claim to not trust the media as a general statement, then list a bunch of right-leaning news sources. Sounds like you just don't trust media that prints stuff you don't like.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   

The problem is people allow TPTB to pretend that the actions of a couple people are a fair representation of groups that include 10,000’s to millions of people..

If your burden of proof that the “media”, which includes thousands of organizations employing 100,000 people , is “fake news” when 5 tweet out a photo that wasn’t true?!?!

There is nothing you can’t prove..

Wanna prove all construction workers are pedophiles??

Well I can find five construction workers who are pedophiles..

It is a ridiculous logical fallacy based on the VERY fake concept the “all the world is in some vast conspiracy against American conservatives”..

For an example..

Pull up any YouTube video that includes “the top ten times the media got caught lying”.

8 of the Times on that list will be the media lying to push the Iraq war for the bush administration.

edit on 28-5-2018 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I checked. It still stinks.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

The problem is people allow TPTB to pretend that the actions of a couple people are a fair representation of groups that include 10,000’s to millions of people..

If your burden of proof that the “media”, which includes thousands of organizations employing 100,000 people , is “fake news” when 5 tweet out a photo that wasn’t true?!?!

It is a ridiculous logical fallacy based on the VERY fake concept the “all the world is in some vast conspiracy against American conservatives”..

For an example..

Pull up any YouTube video that includes “the top ten times the media got caught lying”.

8 of the Times on that list will be the media lying to push the Iraq war for the bush administration.

That would be a great point if the examples I cited in my OP were the only examples. They're not.

There's a ton of examples of how the media have lost their minds since Trump got elected.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

For an example..

see also: whataboutism.

edit on 28-5-2018 by network dude because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
I checked. It still stinks.

It's risky using the smellometer when dealing with media, the stench can be overwhelming.

new topics

top topics

join