It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A real expert talking about an EMP attack !

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Planes falling from the skies, cars fried, no water or food able to be delivered, and 90% of the population dead within the first year.. Yep we have all heard the stories passed around yet some even claim it won't be as bad as claimed.. Now listen to someone who is in a position to actually know..
For those who are interested the video is worth a listen, IMO.
youtu.be...

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 04:54 AM
link   
How is this any different from the fearmongering last October about the same thing? Here's the ATS thread about it, complete with the "90% of the population dying within a year" BS.

Congress warned North Korean EMP attack would kill '90% of all Americans'

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Most people aren't ready for an EMP strike, so I don't think it would matter what happened. Grim doesn't care what you think. It does what it wants, when it wants, and how it wants.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 05:07 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I suppose you need to listen to the video which covers EMP, Cyber attacks, and what have you by a man, Peter Prye, who should know as he is the head of Homeland security with regards to such an attack or even a Carrington solar super storm event caused by the sun ... He even covers why there is a resistance by the power companies to harden the grid..

Then make up you own mind

edit on 727thk18 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 05:33 AM
link   

90% of the American population within a year? Really? We're supposed to believe that around 300 million Americans are going to die within a year after EMP attacks?

I posted that other ATS thread because the arguments in it obliterate this fearmongering. I don't feel like retyping it all, so here's one post of mine that I'm referring to that breaks down why this is baloney. (HERE)

And just for the record, there's a thing called the "appeal to authority fallacy". If this dude's current political position means that we should blindly accept his conclusions, then why should we question any politician or bureaucrat's opinions? And on the other hand, if it's ok to question and outright reject the opinions of other politicians & bureaucrats, then why should this dude be immune?

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 05:56 AM
link   

No one knows how many would perish and any figures batted around by supposedly some smart people are just educated guesstimates.

Is the number 50% or less or more ? I do not know and I hope I never have to find out for real..

I can certainly see how no electricity for hospitals, no food and water, not to mention the nuke plants going into melt down within a year would put a dent in anyone's population.. Not to mention the looters and gangs that will do their thing just to survive.

Is it fear mongering to try to get the government to harden the electric grid ? Considering the money spent on the defense department against possible threats hardening the grid is cheap when a Carrington event has already happened and will happen again someday.

Most think the government is supposed to protect the citizens from an out side threat. No single event could have such a dire consequence on any countries population as a full blown EMP attack or in today's world another Carrington event.

Edit to add: There are just about two thousand transformers that distribute electrical power in the USA. These are not the little things most people call transformers in their neighborhoods. As far as spares it is claimed we have just about one percent of those that would be needed.

There are only three rail cars in all of America that can transport these huge heavy pieces of equipment .. As far as trucking them the roads in many cases have to be widened and any bridges reinforced .. Again if one listens to the video they might just learn something.

edit on 727thk18 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I dont call an ex-bureaucrat from the DHS an expert.
Lets find someone that knows from science.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:27 AM
link   

90% of the American population within a year? Really? We're supposed to believe that around 300 million Americans are going to die within a year after EMP attacks?

I'll toss the ball back to you.

If electricity goes down that means no cash,no online banking,swiping cards and no cash registers.
So??
1.How many people keep all their money in the bank and use cards?
2.How many people truly have the ability and know how to live off the land?
(not people who just dream about it like it is easy)
3.Do you trust your government to take care of you,the regular Joe?(serious question)

Years back when we had a blackout...I was the odd man out for having cash and could still buy some things.
The people who used cards were the ones who were screwed.

When it turns -20 in the northern states and there is no electric....recipe for disaster for a lot of people.

I think there are MANY things you haven't taken into account.
Continuance of government is what is important....YOU are not,until that as well as military priorities are taken care of first,YOU can sit and wait all you want.

90% might not be accurate but a whole lot of people would not survive.
The "haves" will get help before the "have nots" in my opinion.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Well we are talking about America...and EMPs don't hurt bullets and guns...so when all is said and done....keeping in mind America also has these same battle plans set up to retaliate with....we can boil it down to who has more guns and or boats to deliver troops the old fashioned way....I mean if everyone EMPs each other then the next world war may be one where we see old style ships sailing groundtroops across Oceans....but at the end of the day its going to be the guns and bullets that make the difference.IMHO America is the gun capitol of the world.....lol.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 07:06 AM
link   
The only non-regulated Utility...lol...they refuse to make the grids safe because they are HOPING FOR AN EMP....because they will make gazillions re-building the grids when they do finally go down.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Is there any chance you could write a summary in several dot points. I am not going to watch 40 minutes of Faux News, even if this particular guy is credible.

Also the EMP Commission has a bunch of resources on this issue: www.empcommission.org...
edit on 28/5/18 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

I posted that other ATS thread because the arguments in it obliterate this fearmongering. I don't feel like retyping it all, so here's one post of mine that I'm referring to that breaks down why this is baloney. (HERE)

And just for the record, there's a thing called the "appeal to authority fallacy". If this dude's current political position means that we should blindly accept his conclusions, then why should we question any politician or bureaucrat's opinions? And on the other hand, if it's ok to question and outright reject the opinions of other politicians & bureaucrats, then why should this dude be immune?

read One Second After. The ugly stuff will start week two.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Imagine no food deliveries.
Imagine no running water
Imagine no waste disposal

Imagine no firefighting
Imagine no medicine

Imagine no cooling of the 60+ nuclear power plants.

Forget about violence, people killing each other - the cities will become uninhabitable due to garbage, human waste, the rotting corpses everywhere, the spread of disease.

Cities near a nuclear power plant would become uninhabitable due to the radiation alone - every reactor would experience total meltdown. With no way to combat it, radiation wise it would be orders of magnitudes worse than a nuclear bomb.

Yeah, you are supposed to believe that 300 million Americans could die within a year of a EMP-attack of sufficient scale. The nightmare scenario, though, is a solar event, as its 'scale' could be immense.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: DupontDeux

Imagine no food deliveries.
Imagine no running water
Imagine no waste disposal

Imagine no firefighting
Imagine no medicine

Imagine no cooling of the 60+ nuclear power plants.

Forget about violence, people killing each other - the cities will become uninhabitable due to garbage, human waste, the rotting corpses everywhere, the spread of disease.

Cities near a nuclear power plant would become uninhabitable due to the radiation alone - every reactor would experience total meltdown. With no way to combat it, radiation wise it would be orders of magnitudes worse than a nuclear bomb.

Yeah, you are supposed to believe that 300 million Americans could die within a year of a EMP-attack of sufficient scale. The nightmare scenario, though, is a solar event, as its 'scale' could be immense.

Absolutely these are realistic casualty numbers.....the population density demands this dynamic.

Fortunately the Military has made many EMP safe zones for themselves.......so things may not get as bad as we predict...there are a LOT OF DUMBS out there.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: one4all

there are a LOT OF DUMBS out there

Correct...and you or I won't be welcome in any of them.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   

How is this any different from the fearmongering last October about the same thing? Here's the ATS thread about it, complete with the "90% of the population dying within a year" BS.

Congress warned North Korean EMP attack would kill '90% of all Americans'

BS? Your saying it is a lie? That there aren't individuals that wouldn't do so?

Where do YOU draw the line between paranoia/overly concerned and prudence/practicality?

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Hardening the electric grid is not as easy as it sounds up front. The primary issue is the disruption factor involved with actually doing it (in other words, people whining about it).

Metering and instrumentation would likely be taken out by the E1 and E2 pulses of an EMP, but these aren't the ones you really need to harden the electrical grid against. It's the E3 pulse that does the damage because of it's long duration. The E1 pulse is fast (down in the ~nanosecond range), and the E2 pulse is also pretty fast (down in the ~100 nanosecond region), but the duration E3 pulse is way up there in the several minutes region. This has the potential to take out not the generation equipment, but the transmission and distribution side of the grid (the powerlines themselves). Transformers are generally insulated against over-volt conditions due to lightning (which is just another form of EMP) and these breakers will likely open during the E1 and almost certainly during E2 pulses. The E3 pulse is much longer and creates the very real potential of a "punch through" or "flash over" insulator electrical breakdown, damaging the insulator beyond repair. And this results in damage to the actual transmission line itself which is a 'time to fix' issue.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Yep ! youtu.be...

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   

I was listening to the video and they said that we don't make the transformers anymore here in the united states. They are made in South Korea or Germany. We have less than 1% in preserve. I understand the expenses behind it all, but why wouldn't we keep manufacturing these here? They are, according to the video, pivotal to our survival in this country if a natural or unnatural EMP went off. How quickly we can change them out after a EMP would matter. It could take 5 years to manufacturer and replace (under the current process) all of them I think I heard him say. Why would we allow another country to have that type of control over our well being?

Do we outsource our ammunition as well? Are they making key components of our weapons in other countries too? I guess I'll look that up..lol. Seems a bit silly to outsource stuff that is so important to our countries survival in any disastrous situation (natural or man made).

Still listening to it...

Thanks!
blend

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: blend57

hmm..I don't know that there's anything left that they 'dont' outsource anymore, it's all #'d. If it's not made in taiwan it's made in china. Rarely do I see anything made in the West.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join