It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Metal roof vs. shingle roof experiences

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Here in the UK a roof can last upto 100 years easy when done right but we use normally proper slates from a quarry or clay tiles and normally fixing the roof is just take the old tiles off, pop on some new woodwork to renail them back on after putting a bit of a mesh and then put the old 100 year old tiles back with perhaps a few new (reclaimed) for ones that didn't survive the process.

Obviously it does depend on your location and local weather conditions etc as to what sort of tiles should be used along with house design as clay tiles can put a lot of weight on a building.
edit on 28-5-2018 by Maxatoria because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: jand2340
Thank you. I appreciate your thoughtful post sharing your knowledge.

Since I made this thread I've spoken with three roofing guys and they all say the same thing. In our area a metal roof isn't the best decision. They explained the fastener issues. They also explained that even if the roof is properly installed the high humidity of our area causes big mold problems. In the Tennessee valley there is no such thing as something being "mold and mildew resistant."

I trust these guys. They have no reason to give me anything but the facts and every one of them advised against a metal roof. So while it would look good on my country farmhouse, I'll be sticking with the asphalt shingles.

Yes, these guys are all local and licensed, insured, etc. They all have decades in the business and have all the work they can do this time of year. I've known them all my life and trust them. I learned my lesson of trust a few years ago when I hired a flooring crew that I didn't know....all because I didn't want to wait for the installation.

Thanks again for taking the time to give me your experience.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

Yes, I have a friend who bought a home in France. It's a whole different experience. Our houses are stick-built for the most part. Mine is a custom built home but it's timber and would never support the weight of tiles.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

My barn is metal and is 18 years old this year and we've had no issues with it, thus our thought of replacing the shingles with metal. But the contractors I've spoken with explained the moisture issues you mentioned. The barn is open to full circulation.

As a side note---I've just pulled out the records from our building the house. The roof has a 25 year guarantee so I guess it has performed to expectations since it isn't leaking. A good thing too since all the contractors I've spoken with are booked up until about August or September due to all the damage people have had from the many spring storms we've endured. Their first question is: "Is it leaking?"

My windows had 15 year guarantees and I'm happy to say that none of them have failed and this year was the first time I've noticed any moisture issues at all. I've made the needed repairs and am quite happy with their performance.

My ceiling fans have a 25 year warranty as well and have been going 24/7 for over 25 years now with no problem beyond having to change out one light fixture that went wonky.

Going through those records was a walk down memory lane, remembering our anxieties about such an undertaking as designing and overseeing the building of a house. But our builder was good guy, trained by my father. He's retired now but still a good source of experience and contacts within the profession. I feel very blessed to have these guys who will look out for my best interests.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experiences.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I personally don't like the look of metal roofs. To me they kind of remind me of a barn or factory roofs. However, I've seen some houses where the metal roofs don't look bad. I know they make tiled metal roofs which I would consider if going with a metal roof. They look more like shingles.

I recently sold my car to a roofer. We got on the subject of metal roofing. I don't know if it's true or not, but he said people don't realize they only last about 30 years. I always thought the metal roofs were supposed to last a lifetime with occasional painting maintenance over the years. I asked him if you could hear the rain hitting the roof during a storm. He said no because of the way they're manufactured today.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons
Apparently in some climates the metal roofs do last a very long time but in our area they just don't hold up unless the house is built initially to have a metal roof. Air circulation is very important in our humid climate where mold and mildew are the enemies of all homeowners. My house is surrounded by trees, thus increasing the humidity factor. I would have liked the look of the metal on my farmhouse even though the only place the roof is actually visible from below are the porches. You need a very long ladder to see the top of the two story house. But after talking with the contractors and my neighbor who had a metal roof put on one of his rentals a few years ago, I'm going with the shingles. With any luck at all they'll last another 25 years and by then I'll probably not be around to worry about it.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 05:15 AM
link   
FYI go to woodshakeroofs.com for info about all roofs.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Well just a suggestion, ask your roofer about doing just you porch roofs in metal. Galvalume would look nice on a porch roof. Basically just tin color.

Put down some high quality ice/water shield and good synthetic underlayment.

When I did my folks house in metal I used Grace Ice and Water....only because we used it when we built this bad boy...

Broad art musuem....

Did the whole building in it...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join