It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Metal roof vs. shingle roof experiences

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I'm looking for some discussion on the merits of metal roofs. I'm told that my 25 year-old shingle roof needs to be replaced. My late husband and I had anticipated this and discussed it last fall. We decided that we like the look of some metal roofs in our area and since our home is a farmhouse the metal roof would be a good fit.
Recently I had a roofer look at the roof and he told me it definitely needed replacing even though I have no sign at all of leaks. So I called a guy that the builder of the house recommended and told him I wanted a metal roof. He advises against it, saying that he takes more metal roofs off of houses than he installs.
Has anyone here had a metal roof for more than a few years? Appreciate hearing your experiences.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

I apologize in advance because I don't have personal experience with metal roofs. But I found a really good comparison here that may address your concerns.

Metal Roof vs Asphalt Shingles

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 12:12 AM
link   
The comparison posted above is right on. It really depends on your budget. They know make metal roofs that look like shingles and I've also heard that with proper installation you won't even know you have a metal roof (sound of rain or hail hitting it). It will also potentially assist in lowering your heating cost as it does not retain heat like regular shingles do. They will cool very quickly. Good luck with your decision and hopefully someone on here has experience with both.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Metal roof owner here.

Our shingled roof, which was old anyway, was damaged in a bad storm. We filed a claim with our insurance and received a good payout, then added to that money to install a metal roof. At the same time we installed our metal roof, half of the houses on our street also got new roofs, none of them metal. Like I said, it was a bad storm!

Our homeowner's insurance company gave us a discount because of the metal roof.

A few years went by and another bad storm blew threw. Our roof survived intact. Every single house on our street had their roof replaced, except us! You read that correctly. The storm damaged every roof on my street, except mine which was the only metal one.

Another couple of years went by, and another storm. This time, just half the houses replaced their roofs. Mine was still ok! You would think someone would take our house as an example, but NO, no one installed metal.

Do I think metal is superior? Clearly, I do. I get a discount on insurance and also, we'd have already replaced a shingled roof once, if not twice, by this point.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 12:40 AM
link   
the r panel or standing seam will be there for 60 years but the colored paint is ugly....so shiny " galvalume "
"

edit on 28-5-2018 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 01:18 AM
link   

We went with metal about 4 years ago and have been very happy. I think with everything, research research research! Get plenty of references. The installer makes all the difference. Best of luck!

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I live in typhoon country. We have a metal roof. For 18 years now it has survived the most damaging typhoons to hit Japan. Our neighbors not so lucky.
Metal roofs allow you to hear the spring rain drops fall upon your home, it has a tone like a bird chirping in the morning mist.
Metal roofs are very profitable for the contractor so be careful on how much they charge you, its only a sheet of metal.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I live in a house completed in 1923 with a tin roof. Every 7-8 years it gets painted, it don't leak, and rainstorms have no effect... other than to cool it down some. Noise..... mabe a little more, but you get used to it, it's not annoying or bad. Finally you won't even notice. The roof is from 1923 too.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Oh one thing I thought of... If you go with metal and live in a region that gets snow. Get the snow breaks.

Snow sliding off can do serious damage!!!

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 02:29 AM
link   
All the workplaces I've been at in the last few years have metal roofs. Make a great sound when there is heavy rainfall, but the gutters always tend to overflow - water just cascades straight down onto the ground and not down the pipes.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I have done a few metal roofs in my day. They are pretty much guaranteed for like 50 years, so odds are you will never need another roof.

They can be a bit pricey if having done. Your two options are exposed fastener and hidden fastener (standing seam) The standing seam roof being the higher priced.

I don't think you would regret going with a metal roof. They look fantastic. It will be more expensive than a shingle roof.

But.... If you are handy, know people who are handy... while I wouldn't exactly recommend it, you can get the materials yourself and save a ton of money.

Myself am not a licensed contractor but 30+ years as a sheet metal worker I am qualified and capable of doing these. A roof is no joke, if not capable do not attempt to do it yourself.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Our (asphalt shingle) roof got destroyed by a giant hail storm about 4 years ago. I looked at getting a metal roof for the replacement. I opted not to do it principally because of the cost (it was about 2x the cost...and that was the best price I found, some were pushing 3x).

In retrospect, I wish I would have gone with metal.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 05:48 AM
link   
The sound of rain on a metal roof
No better lullaby can you find...

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Interesting to read that roof tiles are apparently not even an option.
Here in europe a brick and mortar house would usually get roof tiles.
Shingles aren't very popular here either. We tend to use rolls of bitumen, a kind of flexible asfalt, mostly on flat roofs.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

I apologize in advance because I don't have personal experience with metal roofs. But I found a really good comparison here that may address your concerns.

Metal Roof vs Asphalt Shingles

Take a look at this....good advice. I've done many metal roofs including the one on my house now. When getting an estimate make sure of the details.....become familiar with how a metal roof is installed ......check out some You tube videos......I think metal is far superior to shingles....do some research. My saying take a look is referring to the article provided (metal vs. shingles) not my advice

edit on 28-5-2018 by conspiracytheoristIAM because: change script

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Jubei42

On the gulf coast here, we are getting away from shingles roofs, because we get hurricanes and tropical storms, and metal roofs tend to stay on a lot better.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I wouldn't take advise from that guy again. He is lying, it sounds out of his skill set, so he is bs'ing you.

Metal is about double the cost, but will outlast shingles 4 times over. The key is the panel finish quality. Garbage from China may be painted with crap vs a long lasting baked on finish.

On my own house, I would do metal, no question. Especially in high rainfall of snowfall areas.

When installed right, you shouldn't hear it when raining. You don't install it directly onto the sheething, it floats over the roof decking on strips, so there is a small airgap between metal and decking. It helps insulation, sound and helps avoid oil-canning, or warping of the metal from overheating.

The lighter greys last longer than the real dark colors like red and dark blue and produce less heat.
I would do lighter greys or whites

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   

I have been a union carpenter for 25 years, and for the last 7 I have been a licensed General contractor and licensed roofing contractor in South Carolina. On average I install 200+ roofs per year and I am asked this all the time. My answer 90% of the time is while metal is superior to asphalt in every aspect except when it comes to installation 95% of contractors do NOT follow the installation guidelines that the metal roofing manufactures require for the full warranty they provide. And when a metal roof is installed wrong it is a VERY expensive fix, in fact Ive had 3 metal roofs in 7 years that were installed so poorly and improperly that the only option was to remove and replace and I ended up putting asphalt back down.
Another down side to metal.. the fasteners.. while the metal roof panels which will either be master rib " good quality" or standing seam " best quality" the fasteners have a neoprene washer on them and those washers break down in time " here in South Carolina 7-15yrs" they need to be replaced. And there is only so many over size screws before your faced with a choice on how to fix the issue of potential leaks. A average size home with metal roofing could have 2000+ fasteners and to replace all is a very time consuming and expensive task.
Other things to consider is metal doesn't always look good on every home, does your home fall into that category? Price.. Here in Greenville,South Carolina prices for Master Rib " exposed fasteners" is $325.00 per square, and Standing Seam " Hidden fastener" runs $550.00 per square. A average home say 20 square " 2000SF" could run $6500-11k. Plus any extra options. We always remove the old roofing system before installing new.
One thing I cant stress enough.. do your homework on your contractors.. ask the questions.. warranty?? time to install, which should never be more than 2 for average home 3 on larger homes. Are they Licensed? Insured? References? Time in business?? Go with local contractors. And any respectable and established contractor will NEVER ask for money up front!! I hope this helps you a little bit and answers some questions for you. If you have anymore questions please feel free to PM me.. while this is my 4th post Ive been a lurker here for around 15 years i believe..

edit on 28-5-2018 by jand2340 because: corrected home many posts Ive done

edit on 28-5-2018 by jand2340 because: total posts made

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I am a licensed builder. A metal roof is good in some situations but bad in others. Also if the pitch is low, metal roofs are not good, I feel six twelve is the minimum pitch for them so the water does not pool

My big problem with them is that snow falling off of them is heavy and dangerous if you are walking under it. I have seen lots of damage to cars and people from that falling snow. It also can damage a lower roof. If you are in a high wind area, those sheets can get ripped right off and cut someone's head off. I prefer shingles myself, a good quality shingle will last thirty years or more depending on the conditions in your area. I am getting mine redone, I do not do much with construction anymore because of my epilepsy, and I am putting Certainteed Landmarks on, they seem to have a decent lifespan. There are different types of them, getting the right one for your condition in the area is relevant. My last shingles lasted twenty nine years, I am replacing them before the leaks. In another thirty years I will have been buried for a while, let someone else worry about them.

I would only put metal on a barn or shed where you do not have to go in from under the eve at all. You cannot park on the side of the garage if the snow is coming down, can't store stuff under the eve either, it will mess stuff up when it comes crashing down, even break the shovels handles.

Metal roofs also sweat on the underside of the metal certain times of the year and can cause problems if there is not a good barrier underneath sometimes. If I was going to put a metal roof on, I would use the standing rib type with the blind nailing and every rib is sealed.
edit on 28-5-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Are you thinking about installing sheets of 5-V groove, or metal shingles?

There are a lot of 5-V groove roofed houses around here, and it is increasingly common. My neighbor has one, and has had it for upwards of 30 years, with no problems, that I know. My house has architectural asphalt shingles, and in 35 years has had 3 replacements.

I've only ever installed tin and steel shingles on antique homes, so can't speak to their longevity and quality.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join