It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: China Envoy in North Korea To Urge Them Back to Nuke Talks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 01:32 AM
link   
As reported by South Korea's Munhwa Ilbo newspaper, a top level Chinese delegation has arrived in Pyongyang on a diplomatic mission to pursuade the DPRK to return to the nuclear armament negotiating table. Wang Jiarui, head of the Chinese Communist Party's International Liaison Department, may meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Il as early as today. North Korea recently pulled out once again from talks with several nations after it announced that it possessed nuclear weapons, and claimed that it was forced to build them as a deterrent to a desired regime change by Washington.

abcnews.go.com
BEIJING Feb 19, 2005 (AP) — Restarting the six-country talks has taken on greater urgency since North Korea last week claimed it is a nuclear power. The talks involve the two Koreas, the United States, China, Russia and Japan.
North Korea says it is boycotting the talks until Washington abandons what the North says is a hostile policy toward the secretive nation.

North Korea says it is boycotting the talks until Washington abandons what the North says is a hostile policy toward the secretive nation.

Washington hopes Beijing Pyongyang's last major ally will use its economic influence to get it to stop developing nuclear weapons. China is an indispensable source of fuel and trade for the impoverished North. However, Beijing has insisted it has little influence over the Stalinist regime of North Korean leader Kim Jong Il.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Even though China itself admits that it has not much influence with Kim Jong Il, I must at least extend the credit to Beijing for trying. I think it is important that NK return to the talks, and even more so if it has already developed nuclear weapons, which the DPRK has claimed.

I don't know what NK hopes to achieve by making a few nukes, and then receding into isolationism and possible sanctions. On the other hand, to insert a bit of conspiracy theory here, what if China publicly is stating that they are playing mediator, when instead in reality they could be negotiating nuclear arms deals with Kim? I mean this is the age of universal deceit, yes?

Related News Links:
quote.bloomberg.com

[edit on 19-2-2005 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Actually what you said about China being Two faced was the First thing that ran through my mind while reading that
Great minds

Heres hoping that Australia is out of Range of NK and that it doesn't come down to that
sticky situation that it is.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Washington hopes Beijing, Pyongyang's last major ally, will use its economic influence to get it to stop developing nuclear weapons.

So let me see here. You have the nation with the largest reserve of nuclear weapons in the world hoping that a nation with some nuclear weapons will tell another nation not to develop nuclear weapons.

What's wrong with this picture? Anyone? Bueller...? Bueller...?

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Coercion made easy

China simply has to cut in half what it sends to North Korea in energy and food aid, which is nearly 80%+/-.
That don't work, cut what remains in aid in half again.
Lavish party's Kim? Quall and pheasant? Your lil' belly full?
How's those millions dying of starvation doing, eh? Obviously we don't hear about them, do we, Kim?

I can foresee a time when Kim is ousted by a military coup or simply waxed from the face of this Earth by a joint Chinese and U.S. special ops operation. Hmmm....

seekerof

[edit on 19-2-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   
That's a pretty hardline solution there, Seekerof, but would undoubtably be effective. I'd hate to be on the wrong side of a negotiating table with you, lol. The problem with that, as seen in Iraq and other countries, is that you end up hurting the innocent rather than the leaders. I'm sure that if there was one prawn left in the country, it would be mixed in, untouched, with the leftovers on Kim Jong's gold-rimmed plate, instead of in the mouth of a starving N. Korean child.

One concern that was raised in another story on ATSNN is that China quite possibly hopes for, and secretly works towards, the continuation of the status quo, rather than its resolution. A reunified and stable Korea would provide a North Pacific political and military environment more favorable to a US defence of Taiwan against a Chinese invasion; not something that the CCP would be scrambling to achieve if recent military build-ups are any indication.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
China likes having a buffer between herseld and South Korea. China may not like Kim and the refugee problems coming from north korea but it is better for them then the Americans right on their eastern flank.

I kinda wonder why The administration decides to state that Japan and the US consider the Taiwan staights a common security concern while a high level official from China is visiting North korea to kick start talks about its nuke program.

WASHINGTON, Feb 18 (AFP) - Japan will formally join the United States this weekend in declaring the Taiwan Strait a common security concern in a move likely to anger China, the Washington Post reported Friday.

Also, Japan and the US have indicated that they are gong to start deploying a missile shield starting in 2006.

Sunday, February 20, 2005 at 06:53 JST
WASHINGTON — Defense Agency Director General Yoshinori Ono and U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld agreed Saturday to advance ongoing bilateral research on a missile defense system to the development stage in fiscal 2006.

The two nations are expected to move swiftly to the production and deployment stage as Japan has already paved the way for exporting related components to the United States by relaxing in December its ban on arms exports. (Kyodo News)

Could this be the start of a deployment designed for attacking China and North Korea? If we are making statements that angers china while her diplomats are talking to the North Koreans while publicly stating we are building up our military capabilities in the area it seems to me that we have alternative motives here.

[edit on 19-2-2005 by cryptorsa1001]

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   
wecomeinpeace:

One concern that was raised in another story on ATSNN is that China quite possibly hopes for, and secretly works towards, the continuation of the status quo, rather than its resolution.

And this may very well be true and/or be the case. It would explain why China has been seemingly stalling on this issue, but, least we not forget, China has always been a staunch supporter of North Korea. That being said, I would assert that even the patience of Beijing only goes so far. Kim has repeatedly over-stepped his mouth.

cryptorsa1001:

Could this be the start of a deployment designed for attacking China and North Korea?

Honestly? No. It is purely defensive in nature and is meant to send a signal to China over the issue of Taiwan's continued and desired independence. As to the 'timing,' maybe given as a political incentive to China and underlines possible future 'under-the-table' discussions on Taiwan.

seekerof

[edit on 19-2-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
China not having much influence with Kim Jong Il

I think China Is just putting on a show here. If China really wanted N Korea to get rid of its nukes I doubt they would have them anymore. They are really nothing without China also China already saved their butts in one War.

Can anyone really invision Kim making threats to China
They could march a 200 million man army across that river and forget about it. So Kims favorite tactic is a moot point with China it would be a joke. China could take no military action and just cut aid and watch N Korea fall apart.

Perhaps though if the US and other countries can convince China that N Korea having nukes is not in China's best interest something might get done. I really think China's influence is going to be a important factor in trying this but right now they are just putting on a good show.

new topics

top topics

join