It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: 'Catastrophic' Flash Floods Hit Ellicot City & Catonsville Maryland...UNREAL!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz
I'm so *ing confused right now.
The fact that I'm seeing this thread (and certain responses within it) is a massive coincidence right now. Last night I literally prayed to anything that might be listening for a sign regarding a huge life-changing decision I have to make, and today I was looking at Ellicot city and Catonsville. I don't know if the universe is telling me to move there or to stay the hell away.
Do I... just assume it's all a meaningless coincidence? Or do I assume this flood is that sign that I asked for? I DON'T KNOW. UGH.

Interesting!!!

That's a pretty confusing message for you if it's a response to your question though, isn't it? I know one thing though...if I were you I wouldn't live in Ellicott City, because it will flood again because of the terrain. Catonsville would be a better choice since it's not down in a canyon.

It is a beautiful area and is not too far from a major metropolitan area (Baltimore and DC), but the cost of living here is riDONKulous. Good luck with your decision!

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   
That is some serious water there. I thought the dime to quarter size hail here was bad, it broke our outside floodlight bulb.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Know some people that live there. It floods like this regularly, don't know why they don't do more about it.
Me. I live in PA and cross the Mason-Dixon Line everyday to work in Ceciltucky, MD.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I don't live anywhere near there. But a flood of this size has got to be an outlier with respect to their normal flooding.

The Baltimore Sun is providing a bit more detail about the flood:

Gov. Larry Hogan declared a state of emergency and directed the Maryland Emergency Management Agency to assist in Ellicott City’s recovery.

“They say this is a once-every-1,000-years flood, and we’ve had two of them in two years,” he said, calling the event “devastating.”

Some of the residents are quoted as saying this flood is worse than the 2016 event:

Jessica Ur, a server at Pure Wine Cafe on Main Street, said she saw the pounding floodwaters carry three or four parked cars down the street.

“It’s significantly higher than it was before,” she said, referring to the previous flood. “At this point, I’m definitely really worried about all our neighbors on Main Street.”

And this flood came up quickly:

The flooding forced a wedding party to evacuate, some with heels in hand, from the Main Street Ballroom.

“It looked like we were in the Titanic or ‘The Poseidon Adventure,’ ” said the bride’s father, Bill Rigney. At first, the ballroom doors were keeping water out, but “all the sudden it just can’t anymore.”

I'd say the causes of these changes in weather extremes are almost certainly man-made. Humans are altering waterways, runoff paths, and the function of the hydrologic cycle itself. And on a greater scale than ever before. I think we're just seeing the beginning of the results of the "law of unintended consequences."

-dex

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirlI live in Catonsville near Ellicott City which is 8 miles SW of Baltimore. These recent flash floods pale in comparison to the flood of 1972. The tiber river runs next to and underneath the south side of the street running under many buildings under mining their foundations. The main street thru ELLIcott City is Frederick road part of the National Pike the first national road west.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 02:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: carewemust

I am sure they will.. much like the people in New Orleans, or south Florida.

I am just curious what has changed to bring floods like this, once is a It happens moment... twice is a trend.

The jet stream is encountering grid-lock. There is only so much capacity for air it can transport. So it ends up in gridlock with other weather systems that want to go Eastward.

www.independent.co.uk...

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Isn't there a place right near there called Fells Point (or something like that)?

If so, there's a really cool bar there which has been around for like 200 years. I think it's called something like Cat's Eye. Hope it survived.

ETA....My better half, whom is from this area, just corrected me and this location is not by Fells Point.

For what it's worth.

edit on 5/28/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
That was just crazy to watch, I hope the damaged isn't to bad. Here in Britian, some areas seem to be having more flooding and flash flood in last few years than we've had before.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Why are the mods going apes# deleting posts on a flash flood thread?

Wait. I know who it was.

Lemme guess. Someone made a joke about Maryland politics and someone got butthurt.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: PsychicCroMag
a reply to: KansasGirlI live in Catonsville near Ellicott City which is 8 miles SW of Baltimore. These recent flash floods pale in comparison to the flood of 1972. The tiber river runs next to and underneath the south side of the street running under many buildings under mining their foundations. The main street thru ELLIcott City is Frederick road part of the National Pike the first national road west.

Yikes. Does Catonsville experience the same flooding as Ellicott City? I thought Catonsville was more flat (not in the canyon).

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   
we had the same thing happen where I am at yesterday, to a lesser extent.
glad we moved to the top of the mountain, although by my son's description don't think his ride home from work yesterday was that much fun. what happened here was that we had storms kind of set up like trains come through, so soon after one would dump a bunch of rain and move on, another one moved in to replace it. what we are being told is that we can look forward to more rain with a good chance of more flash flooding this week as the tropical system moves in.
I imagine that Maryland can probably expect the same thing.
hope not, but it does look like the storms are still going in that general direction.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   
These besotted folks have two choices, and they're both expensive. Move town to higher ground. Build a concrete river bypass channel. Colfax, Washington drummed up some grants, paid extra taxes, and built one of these "concrete rivers". Now, I've only seen it running full, once or twice, but when the local rivers flood out, it hasn't come over the banks. Before, Colfax was really prone to some nasty flooding. BTW, this same water is what flows over the Palouse Fall's State Park, in Washington State. You should be able to find some neat photos online when this Falls, is running at full tilt. Like right now.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I'm always impressed with 1000 year weather issues just who kept track 1000 years ago??

100 year flood maybe 200 ???

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Scientists warned that stuff like this would happen due to climate change, now people are paying the price.

We need to reduce our population and stop destroying the planet or these disasters will just get worse.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

We need to reduce our population...or these disasters will just get worse.

You first. Get that “we” outta the way real quick — less of you, less damage done. Winner, winner, all-organic chicken dinner!!

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I hope they bulldoze the city and don't waste millions rebuilding it just to watch it flood again in a couple years.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 01:59 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny>>. I saw those floods and they were devastating. Twice in two years. I'd move and never look back, flooding is the worst. I'm going to google and look what has been built upstream of that town. Whether its parking lots or housing developments, somewhere they have storm runoff being channeled into the same waterway and its too much for the area to handle. They may need to build a dam or series of water retention areas and tear down houses and buildings to do it. Eminent domain. Yeah, that place is just one huge suburban sprawl when I looked at it. Time to tear down some of those houses and build water retention lakes.

edit on 30-5-2018 by Dutchowl because: added info

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I was able to walk down Main Street, Ellicott City yesterday, and the damage was devastating; especially the lower end stores that bore the brunt of the flood. They recovered the body of the National Guardsman --- RIP --- that afternoon, who was carried away by the torrent, an drowned while trying to rescue an old woman and her cat from the raging flood.

I also walked thru the upper end of Tiber Creek, just before it's entrance to the city creek tunnel. The latest flood retention wall...made of concrete an stone boulders, that I and other workers had just finished constructing there looked like it held up well. I was amazed at the amount of silt (besides the flood debris) that was deposited on south side of the stream bank there.

Further upstream...where the old courthouse stood before the flood, I discovered an old 8 foot diameter stone granite grist mill wheel, that was lying in the washed-out creek bed.

My visit to the city that day...has had a profound impact on my outlook towards climate change.
edit on 30-5-2018 by Erno86 because: deleted a word

edit on 30-5-2018 by Erno86 because: added a few words

edit on 30-5-2018 by Erno86 because: added a word

edit on 30-5-2018 by Erno86 because: ditto

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Near the end of the video...is camera footage of the ole stone courthouse collapsing an being washed away.

edit on 2-6-2018 by Erno86 because: added a sentence

edit on 2-6-2018 by Erno86 because: added a few words

top topics

<< 1   >>

join