It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marijuana use in the Bible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Hi, I'm New

I had an experience a few years ago. I tried marijuana for the first time.
I was 58 at the time. I had an epiphany, not a vision, rather a samadhi, which the Hindu describe as a melting into God.

No one, apparently, had ever heard of such a thing and dismissed me as
simply "tripping" or being totally stoned. [ I took one hit from a bong ]

I struggled with not finding anyone to confirm my experiernce. I bought all the books on Marijuana that I could find. In one, THE EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES, there was an advertisement for a book THE GREEN / GOLD
something or otherr, that purportedly dealt with pot and spirituality.

There I found reference to the fact that in EXODUS 30 there is a formula for making incense used in the Tabernacle services. The term
FRAGRANT CANE is translated in the Hebrew as Kaneh Bosum ( cannibas )

Then I read in Ram Dass' book STILL HERE that he had had my experience while using marijuana.

I'd like to communicate if anyone identified. Thanks

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 01:35 AM
link   
My friend, I came to know Christ the same way. It's strange for some to hear, but pot broke down a lot of emotional barriers I had established over the years, and when I smoked and happened to have a Bible, I read Matthew that night (a lot of people exclaim at this point of my tale, "why Matthew, but that was the book I opened to, and that was the book of the gospel which, to this day, speaks loudest to me) and was shocked I hadn't seen it before. I went from being an evangelical Athiest to a closet Christian in a matter of hours.

That was 6 years ago, and since then I have had many problems being on pot so I quit. However, that was the catalyst that helped me to identify and accept Christ.

I identify, my brother. The Lord works with who we are, and he loves diversity. I was in tears that night, and I hadn't cried at that time for over 8 years. Since then, I've been able to identify with the band Third Day when they say,

It doesn't take much for me to shed a tear, and I have done so for what seems the millionth time

However, as I've learned,

If you see me start to cry, it's not 'cause I'm weak but hetting stronger

Glad to have you on board. Before tonight, I was the only Christian I knew who came to Christ where pot was the catalyst.

JAK

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 02:43 AM
link   
samadhi, don't forget that it is a simialr experience that David Icke bases a lot of his new work on - a religious experience while on drugs.

I'm not saying your experience was not real, just thought it was of intrest and on topic.

Welcome to ATS.

Jack

[edit on 19/2/05 by JAK]

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Dispite what many believe, Cannabis does not kill brain cells. What it does is affect the way the synapses fire, enabling or forcing new or different pathways for the neurons. This has the end result of letting your brain make new connections. New connections in this case mean that you can literally look at the same issues from a different perspective. Your mind is able to formulate different thoughts about familiar subjects because you have temporarily changed the wiring in your brain.

Now I don't know about the Bible, but I can't imagine that Cannabis hasn't played a big part in many spiritual experiences in many cultures throughout history.

[edit added]
BTW, I think this capability is a very useful thing. If you haven't examined an issue from every perspective possible, you haven't really examined it.
[edit end]

[edit on 19-2-2005 by Ambient Sound]

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
samadhi,
hemp is and has been used by many religions as a "meditation herb",
which enables you to open your mind to new ways of thinking,
just like Ambient Sound told you.

there are more threads with this topic, where we debate that topic.
if you want to read and join the debate:

bible and marihuana
why was hemp made illegal?

oh,
and welcome to ATS!

[edit on 19-2-2005 by Souljah]

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Yes please add to the ongoing threads above, This is intro's and not the place for such topic,

But feel free to add your views,

This topic is now for only welcoming the new member,

Below is A hand book of links that may help you answer some questions you have, ie, what are points ect....
ATS hand book

If you have any questions feel free to u2u me

You will find your u2u's in the member center

and also there is a message when you recieve a u2u

also need help getting your avatar up (or pic in your profile) check out this link

Want to post a pic in your thread.
how to post a pic on a thread

Asala

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
In my younger years I used to love smoking some weed and reading books, it was great and exciting....

I just cant remember anything I read

new topics

top topics

join