It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Arizona, teaching creationism is supported by 4 of 5 Republicans who want to oversee education

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   
It's Intelligent Design stupid!

The Arizona Department of Education is updating science standards for K-12 schools for the first time in about 15 years.

Teachers who worked on the standards told 12 News they were shocked when the words "evolution" and "evolve" were crossed out of their draft.

The deletions apparently had the approval of Republican School Superintendent Diane Douglas, who runs the Department of Education. She supports the teaching of intelligent design - a rebranding of creationism, which is the religious belief in the existence of a creator.

Thirty-one years ago, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled the teaching of creationism in public schools was unconstitutional.

Thirteen years ago, a federal judge in Pennsylvania rejected public-school instruction on intelligent design as unconstitutional.

At a forum for Republican candidates for school superintendent last November, four of the five candidates - including Douglas - supported teaching creationism in Arizona schools.

Source

Well I guess we're getting into Kitzmiller v. Dover again. For those of you unfamiliar with that trial I recommend to youtube 'Judgement Day: Intelligent Design on trial' by Nova. Fantastic documentary on this debate that I've watched a number of times.

I just don't understand the justification of teaching creationism outside of the fact that it's a religious motivation and this has been proven countless times even with so called 'intelligent designers' who claim they're impartial. I also don't understand what's the matter with believing in evolution AND God? After all he is the creator and responsible for things we see right? Creationism sits on this idea that we all just 'appeared' (and some would have a little more movement and claim we adapted a little) but that's it. Dinosaurs popped up, humans popped up, some changes to adjust to the climate and environment but overall we just appeared seperate from one another. There's no basis for this belief other than the fact people like to point out that nature is perfectly placed, too perfectly placed? We're a star system of 100 billion in the Galaxy alone by the way. The odds are in our favor.

I sincerely hope the courts step in. Kids shouldn't be subjected to this nonsense. If you don't want your kids taught these things, there are special schools for them.
edit on 27-5-2018 by Southern Guardian because: Edited link

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   
From the article:

The new state science standards must be approved by the Arizona Board of Education, which could come as soon as next month.

The public can comment until May 28. You can provide feedback online at this link.

Should anyone wish to educate the AZ board of education...

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Pandering to religious idiots.

Evolution is the basis of biology. If you dont like it stop going to the doctor.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Well, shouldn't the parents educate their children before the "educational" system fills their child's mind with state sponsored propaganda? And since we're on the subject, how do you feel about schools teaching "gender is a spectrum"?

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   

I just don't understand the justification of teaching creationism outside of the fact that it's a religious motivation

Just like being for teen pregnancy, you need lots of ignorant people to vote for fascism and oligarchy, not to mention getting rid of all rights and benefits for working and poor people.

link   

edit on 27-5-2018 by CB328 because: (no reason given)

link   

I just don't understand the justification of teaching creationism outside of the fact that it's a religious motivation

Just like being for teen pregnancy, you need lots of ignorant people to vote for fascism and oligarchy, not to mention getting rid of all rights and benefits for working and poor people.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Hi Southern--
You wrote

QUOTE 'I sincerely hope the courts step in. Kids shouldn't be subjected to this nonsense. If you don't want your kids taught these things, there are special schools for them.' UNQUOTE

It seems to me there cannot be much harm in exposing religiously-ignorant American children to the Creation Myths of the World, and by at least including the two (contradictory) Creation Myths of the Jews in the Hebrew Bible (Gen. 1:1 to Gen 2:4a and Gen 2:4b to Gen 3:24) provided they are first exposed to a list of say, 150 World Creation Myths from around the ancient world that can be e.g. taught to children over 12 years of age,

e.g. The Ancient Egyptian Creation Myths discovered among the Pyramid Texts (e.g. the Myth of the Masturbating Bisexual god Atum in his creation of Shu & Tefnut, or the Memphite Cosmology, the Heliopolitan Cosmology, the Hermopolitan Cosmology, the Theban Account of Creation etc.), the Canaanite Creation Sagas of Bull-EL, the Greek Creation Myths at Olympus, the Roman Creation Myths, the Mayan Creation Myths of the Twins within the Popul Vuh, the Primordial Sumerian Creation Myths (pre-dating and foreshadowing the Hebrew 'Genesis' Creation Myths by more than 2,000 years) the Babylonian Creation Myths (e.g. 'Enuma Elish'), the Scandinavian Norse Prose & Poetic Edda, the Icelandic Asatru Sagas, the Germanic ('Reginkunnr Futhark') Creation Myths, the Woden Sagas, the Nigerian Yoruba Creation Myths, the Australian Aboriginal Creation Myths ('Dreamtime') the Hindu Creation Myths in the Purusha Sukta (from the Rg Veda) along with the later Creation Myths found within the Upanishads, the Creation Myths of the Ohlone & Chumash Shoshone, Cherokee, Sioux, Iriquois, Choctow, Mohawk, Cheyenne, Eskimo, Comanche & various other Amerindian Tribelets, the Aztec Creation Myths, the Toltec Creation Myths, the Hopi Sagas, Zoroastrian (Dualist) Vendidad, the Apache & Navaho Creation Myths, the Tao Te Ching of China (including the Songs of Chu) to cover just a few of the more important ones.

Naturally any course of comparative mythological study would take at least three years (say, ages 12-15, or roughly 7th to 10th grade in the US); that way, if a child has been indoctrinated into the xenophobic, sexist, racist-zionist Weltanschauung of the monotheistic religions, they can take a step back from their mindless parental brainwashing and see the 'larger picture' where e.g. post-exilic Judaisms fit into the wider-world in the 21st century.

I'm all for teaching Creationism, just as long as the kiddies aren't taught that these ancient, symbolic, esoteric myths are 'literary-true.'

Such misinformed teaching would constitute nothing less than child-abuse.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Seriously, you could pick Arizona up, stick it down somewhere in Texas - - and no one would know the difference.

There is definitely a political battle going on in AZ.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sigismundus

It seems to me there cannot be much harm in exposing religiously-ignorant American children to the Creation Myths of the World, . . . . .

There are twenty-one federally recognized Indian tribes in Arizona today

www.native-languages.org...

edit on 27-5-2018 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Come on children
You are having a tantrum because you are not getting things your way

You are dictating what others have to believe and do, fascists, really fascism
It's what Stalin did in the Soviet Union, stopped people doing what he didn't like, just like you are trying to do here
Imposing your beliefs and evolution on others

The church is/was wrong for imposing their beliefs, just like you are doing now
Many non religious believe in intelligent design
Why are you in fear of education

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Come on children
You are having a tantrum because you are not getting things your way

You are dictating what others have to believe and do, fascists, really fascism
It's what Stalin did in the Soviet Union, stopped people doing what he didn't like, just like you are trying to do here
Imposing your beliefs and evolution on others

The church is/was wrong for imposing their beliefs, just like you are doing now
Many non religious believe in intelligent design
Why are you in fear of education

Cultural diversity can and should be taught, designed for grade level.

The religious parts of cultures can be included in that subject.

Direct religious teachings, such as Intelligent Design (which everyone knows is a sneaky Christian derivative) - - do not belong.

Science is science.

edit on 27-5-2018 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Intellegent design, to be taught as an opposing point of view to science, needs to hold upto scientific method. It does not. Thus it can not be taught (in good faith, something you are unfamiliar with) in a science class. It belongs in either a theology or a philosophy class. I am pretty sure theology is not taught in Az public schools. My mother in Law teaches in Az, hence I am pretty firm in my conviction on that

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Here's a list of Creation Myths.

You tell me which ones should be taught in Arizona.

www.artandpopularculture.com...

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Noinden

When they're talking Intelligent Design in Arizona - - they mean Christianity.

DeVos is a Dominionist.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   
If you don't live here then don't worry. Busybodies

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arizonaguy
If you don't live here then don't worry. Busybodies

I live here.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Then you may carry on

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I have no problem with it as long as they stick to only the verifiable evidence supporting ID.

Yeah....so they sort of don't have any.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Oh I know, I visit there regularly so my son can see some of his grandparents.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join