It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

video game violence, is this a problem?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   
If you have a kid who is a little psycho and he plays these games, he may get depersonalized and rerealized and then buy guns, since the game promotes guns, and go into a school and do this kind of thing.

It is a combination of things that create these school shooters, I just addressed three, but some medicines and some foods in smaller amounts can also cause a person to believe something that is not real. The magic mushrooms and nightshade zombie flower are two of the more potent ones, but this chemistry is in lots of foods and in many medicines. A person can take the meds and eat more choline inhibitor food chemistry and wind up believing things that are not right.

We need to address all the factors, not just one. If people are aware of this stuff, then we can learn to watch to make sure people are not going loose cannon. That would not be beneficial for big Pharma though, they might lose money. The people who are hooked on very violent interactive games will not like it. People who cannot get a gun because they are being extremely irrational will not like being cut off of buying them.

Some people like collecting guns, that does not mean they are going to use them to kill innocent people. Most people who play these games will never go do mass shootings either. Neither will most people who do meds that block choline, but if that medicine is prescribed to someone who already has lack of an enzyme to produce choline then they can lose their ability to reason.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: network dude

It's been researched to death....

gizmodo.com...

www.center4research.org...

with no definitive conclusions..but I don't think gamers are violent in the RW.

Why do young white males kill their peers en mass? It's complicated....but perhaps we should ask some of those YWM and ask them what would drive them to mass murder.

LOL, based on the results here (as I expected) we can safely say that Violent video games have NOTHING at all to do with violent kids.

Any similarities are purely coincidental. Now, back to GTA, so I can get me some points for capping that whore.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I tend to agree with what other posters are saying and think it's a multitude of things.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Statement from the developer.

Hello everyone,
Since this games storefront has been live, I have been stormed with accusations and heavy critics from people across the globe. While I see everyone's points of view and where are they coming from - I wanted to clarify a few things: First of all, this game does not promote any sort of violence, especially any soft of a mass shooting. As I said in the description of the game:

Originally when this game started its course of the development, I have planned on having SWAT only based game-play. Then I thought about adding more gameplay to it by adding additional roles: of the shooter and the civilian. While I can see people's anger and why this might be a bad idea for the game, I still feel like this topic should be left alone. As I mentioned on steam discussion forums, there are games like Hatred, Postal, Carmageddon and etc., which are even worst compared to "Active Shooter" and literally focuses on mass shootings/killings of people.

I have wrote to Valve regarding this game and waiting for the reply. After receiving such high amount of critics and hate, I will more likely remove the shooters role in this game by the release, unless if it can be kept as it is right now.
Thanks a lot for taking your time to read and leave your responses!!!
steamcommunity.com...

It's a small Indie developer who probably thought they'd get a bit of free publicity from the subject matter but probably didn't expect the feedback they've received , the game looks old school and dated.

I don't see a problem with it , nutters will kill regardless.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

"The good people of Athens hereby demand that Socrates is put to death for not believing in the gods and for corrupting the youth with philosophy!"

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
As said people will kill for any reason, vast majority of people who watch films or play games dont fantasies about killing people aftwards

The people who do, would do so anyway but perhaps copy cat the killings they have scene on screen

The one account I can remember that seemed like a copy cat killing was this one

www.telegraph.co.uk...

I played that game and by the accounts at the time in the media it sounded like he copied one of the brutal killing takedowns in the game

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 01:34 AM
link   
So why aren't kids all over the world (that are playing the same games) doing it? Why just in the US? Seems to kill this argument outright. There is something about the USA that's specific to this. Hmmmmm.
edit on 28-5-2018 by okrian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 04:24 AM
link   

the problem is only that minors can play games like that, we had been restricting violent games to adults only for a long time, its only due to how slack that effort has gotten that this is an issue at all.

can you imagine them trying to say its to dangerous to let adults play such a game? that would be an insult to the citizens.. but erase the age restriction of games slowly boiling frog style to the point we forget they are a thing, then allege they are dangerous because kids play them. well. you see now how the slippery slope of authoritarianism creeps into all facets of life if you let it.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Consider the number of people who play violent games.

If the video games directly caused these things, the world would be in a state of total anarchy 24/7.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 05:58 AM
link   
It’s the baby boomers fault; they let their kids play Dungeons and Dragons, and the thousands of “Dungeon Masters” used their occultic powers gained from the dozens of books written by the Dark Overseer Gigax to summon evil into our world. Everyone knows nobody was violent before Video Games, Comic Books, Dungeons and Dragons, Rock and Roll, Moving Pictures... etc

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   
It's funny how all the folks who pretend the CDC can't study gun violence completely ignore the fact that when the CDC did study gun violence in 2013 (link in my sig), one of the factors they said needed to be looked at harder was the effect of violent media on teens and young adults.

"If it saves one life..." is only good for running on an anti-gun platform I guess.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I dont know about anyone else , but if I am having a real bad day I can go fire up a game and it actually relaxes me to cap a bunch of baddies.....
Stress and anger relief
After a half-hour or so....calm as can be.
The bubble gum wussified games just dont do it. In fact , they have an opposite effect.

edit on 5/28/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
I dont know about anyone else , but if I am having a real bad day I can go fire up a game and it actually relaxes me to cap a bunch of baddies.....
Stress and anger relief
After a half-hour or so....calm as can be.
The bubble gum wussified games just dont do it. In fact , they have an opposite effect.

I enjoy gaming too. I'm playing GTA 5 right now running random people over. I was an addict of the original Doom. That doesn't mean the effects shouldn't be studied to see if there's something we can do if it does have influence on some people. It also doesn't mean we need to ban violent video games, I'm not advocating that. Right now, I'm just saying we should look at it and see what we can learn. Shouldn't we explore all avenues?

On this subject, this might not be a good idea though:

School shooting game

I'm not even advocating to ban that. I believe in free expression. But like the saying goes, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: okrian
So why aren't kids all over the world (that are playing the same games) doing it? Why just in the US? Seems to kill this argument outright. There is something about the USA that's specific to this. Hmmmmm.

probably because guns only exist in the USA, no other countries on the planet have them. I think you solved this.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I have read arguments on two sides to this issue...

1) that video games are an efficient means of teaching people to kill

www.killology.com...

Col Grossman (retired) has studied the 'art' of teaching people to kill. He states, and he cite research, that people do not kill naturally.

2) that violence in video games is an 'outlet' for the 'violently agressive''.

articles.chicagotribune.com...

What is true is that excessive use of video games of any type encourage antisocial behavior. Isolation, self-centeredness, misogyny all those traits that make interacting with others difficult.

www.sciencedaily.com...

And Video game addiction (defined as:

Video game addiction may also be defined as a serious loss of control over gaming that leads to significant harm for the player in the real world.
) any potential positive interpersonal results of gaming.

Overall - I'd have to say that video gaming is not a good thing for anyone to spend much time doing. It may lead to violent behavior, poor interpersonal skills and lack of clear perception of reality. But then TV does many of the same things.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 11:11 PM
link   
How could anyone think a game like this is a good idea? "I played video games for blah X # of years.. and I never wanted to shoot my classmates!" Yea.. so? You may not have been in an abusive family, bullied, mentally unstable.

While I don't think video games like say.. Doom, makes people want to go shoot other people, a game that simulates killing kids in a school is just WRONG. Holy crap.. what is wrong with people? Why would you give an option to be someone killing students in school? And people wonder why our morals, ethics, empathy, are dying in this country. This is pathetic.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Why do young white males kill their peers en mass? It's complicated....but perhaps we should ask some of those YWM and ask them what would drive them to mass murder.

Give it a rest with the "YWM" nonsense.

I realize that BLM has done everything they can to make the subject of "black on black" crime taboo, but kids killing their peers is not isolated to any specific skin tone.

It doesn't matter if it's a white kid shooting up a school, or a black/latino kid spraying a crowded park in a drive-by before speeding off. Like with most everything, someone's skin tone is absolutely irrelevant when it comes to the phenomenon of troubled kids killing their peers. Kids killing kids is happening regardless of skin tone.

As for the "game" in question. It's certainly in poor taste so it's bound to garner lots of hype and media attention, but I think it's a stretch to blame video games for such actions. While the game is in poor taste, I don't believe video games are the cause of the peer pressure and mental breakdowns that are leading kids to kill their peers.
edit on 5/29/18 by redmage because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join