It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military DOES NOT protect your freedoms!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 03:38 AM
link   
With Memorial day coming up here in the US, be ready for all the platitudes of honors for those who died protecting your rights. Then be ready for most of the people who say that to pat themselves on their backs for saying it and continue barbecuing. Thing is though, the US military hasnt fought for our rights in over a 150 years (not that they wouldn't. Leadership from every unit ive been in have made the point to stress the importance of not following unlawful orders). The military has defended the peace, stability, and geopolitical power that the US enjoys. No doubt. But not since the civil war has military action had a significant effect on american civil liberties. And for too many americans, the idea is used as a cop out. People like to think that the rights that they enjoy are protected by some external force and that that alleviates their responsibilities somehow, when in fact, it is entirely up to the citizen to preserve the liberties enjoyed here by being responsible voters. So if you want to honor the dead this memorial day, do your part. Appreciate the things that made the country worth fighting for. And dont # it up.

"How then shall we perform it?--At what point shall we expect the approach of danger? By what means shall we fortify against it?-- Shall we expect some transatlantic military giant, to step the Ocean, and crush us at a blow? Never!--All the armies of Europe, Asia and Africa combined, with all the treasure of the earth (our own excepted) in their military chest; with a Buonaparte for a commander, could not by force, take a drink from the Ohio, or make a track on the Blue Ridge, in a trial of a thousand years.

At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide." -Abraham Lincoln's Lyceum address,1838

edit on 27-5-2018 by Whoisjohngalt because: Spelling

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Hmm, that brings to question why are you posting this.
OK, let me explain something to you since you are more then likely 35 years younger then me. The military trains is men and now women to be against the civilian population due to that the civilian population is worthless and lawless. ( some truth to that actually)
But for the meat and potatoes , anyone that believes the US military won't use force against the US population should join up with the Hells Angles .

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 03:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
OK, let me explain something to you since you are more then likely 35 years younger then me. The military trains is men and now women to be against the civilian population due to that the civilian population is worthless and lawless. ( some truth to that actually)
But for the meat and potatoes , anyone that believes the US military won't use force against the US population should join up with the Hells Angles .

Hells Angles? I prefer heavens tangent lines.

For real though, there is a huge libertarian bend in the military, and the majority of the enlisted actually have a clue and take thier oath seriously.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 03:55 AM
link   
spechen ze Deutsch? no? thank a soldier.

what happens to a state when nazis or soviets take over? they become slave states. ask Poland, who suffered under both.

our military keeps the wolves away. don't think for a moment there aren't forces out there that would love to control or incapacitate us. they hack us because we are too strong to attack militarily.

and don't think the oceans will save us forever. because, missiles. the bad guys don't have to invade us, they could just nuke us. why haven't they? out of the goodness of their hearts? no, because they know what we'd do to them if they tried.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

The logistical nightmare of sustaining an occupying force in a heavily armed country are what kept us from speaking German, realistically.
You are correct that 1,500 nukes at the ready and 4,000 to follow up are the major deterrent fir an attack. Yes. That is protecting livelyhoods and lives of people. Not liberty. WHICH IS THE POINT IM MAKING. China has nukes too, but they put people in reeducation camps. And unless people want that life for their grandchildren, they need to start appreciating the difference.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 05:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Whoisjohngalt

Hells Angles? I prefer heavens tangent lines.

For real though, there is a huge libertarian bend in the military, and the majority of the enlisted actually have a clue and take thier oath seriously.

So did I.

Remember Kent State?

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Whoisjohngalt

the thing is though, they dont have to actually fight or lift a finger other than training, in order to "protect our freedom". Just the fact that they exist holds many dangers at bay, for us, and essentially every other nation on Earth.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 05:38 AM
link   

You cant be serious , are you ?
And I will not call you Surely
SO , I will add a Lol just for you

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Let me inform you as you really , really need it
They follow orders.
1) The military protects the Constitution
2) The Constitution grants the freedoms to it 's citizens.

Now you have been informed
And I have performed my due diligence to ATS in denying ignorance

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
They follow orders.

3) The people decide what is needing protecting. We then survive by electing officials to represent us who declare war and fund the Armed Services.

The goal is to preserve our freedoms and defend the COTUS. The military is an extension of the Executive branch of our Gov who serve under the same oath as our elected Representatives.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 05:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman

They follow orders.

3) The people decide what is needing protecting. We then survive by electing officials to represent us who declare war and fund the Armed Services.

The goal is to preserve our freedoms and defend the COTUS. The military is an extension of the Executive branch of our Gov who serve under the same oath as our elected Representatives.

Well , my second time to deny ignorance . Gee , do I feel special today

who serve under the same oath as our elected Representatives

They absolutely do not take the same oath , as Congress is in no way connected to the military. They can only assign a budget for the military.

Try not to give me a 3rd win....
I have already nearly pulled a muscle in my arm patting myself on the back

Aww...
I just have to do it...
My 3rd win.
The people cannot give the military any directive. Neither can the "elected" Representatives. I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt , those orders would be ignored.

edit on 5/27/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Again, the point its that it is the burden of the citizen to preserve liberty. Not talking about security. You can have security without liberty. The military can win a million battles, but if the citizens dont pay attention and continue to lets congressmen pass things like the patriot act or bills similar to what you see in england that restrict speech, then the million victories are meaningless because the country would be lost. Its would just be another piece of land ruled by a few powerful people, like china or russia.
Inversely we could have no security and be in a constant state of war with a neighboring country, canada for the sake of this arguement, but if the people were disciplined and demanded no laws be passed that restricted any liberty, we could still have liberty.
Military keeps you safe, but does not still the government from trampling civil liberties, only citizens can do that.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 06:24 AM
link   

you are in a state of confusion on how power works.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 06:28 AM
link   

you are in a state of confusion on how power works.

Maybe where you are , not here though
You are in confusion on how the military works
So , where is your proof that the US military is going through training to go against US cittizens
You stated that so factual . If I were you , I would have put "in my humble opinion" in front of that statement
May not be too late for you to correct it.
If you hurry

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Fantastic thread.

Wish I could add more.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   

They follow orders.

The Bill of Rights, as Amendments to the U.S. Constitution, protects the citizens' natural human rights that "are endowed by their Creator", it does not grant them to the citizens. We grant rights to our government, not the other way around. What you said is a commonly mistaken and dangerous idea about our rights.

Declaration of Independence . . .

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck

They follow orders.

The Bill of Rights, as Amendments to the U.S. Constitution, protects the citizens' natural human rights that "are endowed by their Creator", it does not grant them to the citizens. We grant rights to our government, not the other way around. What you said is a commonly mistaken and dangerous idea about our rights.

Declaration of Independence . . .

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”

The Bill of Rights only describes the rights of the people in a general way . A preamble . You knew that though ? Right ? Just say yes.
The Constitution guarantees them those rights under law
Now , I have already went through puberty so I am old enough not to want to banter words.
Or use an invalid argument to back it up...
Done
Next.

edit on 5/27/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

So the Bill of Rights only describes rights and offers no protection for said rights? In addition, the government is the origin of all rights and only grants us those rights it wants to dole out? We the people gave some of our unalienable Rights to the Federal Government, not the other way around.

Amendment X The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

See where it says "powers not delegated to" and "prohibited by" the individual States and the people? Doesn't that tell you where the government's powers come from? If it truly is the other way around as you seem to be saying, then the people never had any rights, now or ever.

ETA: The Bill of Rights are amendments to the Constitution that were ratified by three-fourths of the state legislatures on December 15, 1791, not merely a preamble.

edit on 27-5-2018 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typo

edit on 27-5-2018 by MichiganSwampBuck because: another typo

edit on 27-5-2018 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
a reply to: Gothmog

So the Bill of Rights only describes rights and offer no protection for said rights? In addition, the government is the origin of all rights and only grants us those rights it wants to dole out? We the people gave some of our unalienable Rights to the Federal Government, not the other way around.

Amendment X The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

See where it says "powers delegated to" and "prohibited by" the individual States and the people? Doesn't that tell you where the government's powers come from? If it truly is the other way around as you seem to be saying, then the people never had any rights, now or ever.

Did I not say that describes the protection of the Rights of the people ?
What in the world are you on about ?

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Really? I've served over 23 years and still on Active Duty protecting our freedoms. The Sun shines on the Just and the Unjust, the Genius and the Retard. Enjoy your mom's basement.
a reply to: Whoisjohngalt

top topics

<<   2 >>

join