It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

it might not be magma, under yellowstone, it might be Molten Carbon

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Wouldn't that be a good thing?

Carbon tubes, carbon fiber, etc?

If it's there in liquid form already, it can be refined?

I seen plenty of carbon, had an idiot broiler cook for a bit.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
a reply to: kimish

i bet in Heaven they have liquid diamonds

wait, when Nickn3 posted that, I thought it was good wit but was it was science....

There are stars that are effectively solid diamonds at the crust with a glowing core still undergoing fusion:

www.space.com...

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

no shet....i need to do some searchin on that...the mental picture, cool

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

hey Vasa Croe, my bud works an hour out in the middle where no one goes. they all have to bus there. company bus.

he has been there for half a century and works underground. I think he's learning an out of this world language at work

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 04:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: StallionDuck
If molten carbon were to come into contact with our oxygen rich atmosphere, I believe that it might oxidize and form carbon dioxide.

Oh... and carbon monoxide too.

From what I understand, that's not something that would happen. It takes very high temps for this to take place. Carbon is much easier to combine with other elements, many more, than oxygen. That would mean that it would have to react before it reached the surface.

Have you ever saw molten carbon? I was thinking if there was an explosive eruption of molten carbon where it comes into contact with the atmosphere.
It takes great pressure to form it, and it can't happen in the presence of oxygen.... or the carbon burns long before it reaches a molten state.
'Burning', combining with oxygen, happens to carbon a lot. Think charcoal in a bbq grill.
The whole atmospheric CO2 thing is being blamed on man because he so easily combines carbon and oxygen.

edit on b000000312018-05-27T04:57:57-05:0004America/ChicagoSun, 27 May 2018 04:57:57 -0500400000018 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I don't think any of us have, outside of a lab in any case...

Once the carbon (molten even) hits the atmosphere, it would have already lost it's pressure and much of that super high temperature.

I understand how charcoal works in a BBQ pit. It's a bit misleading because a big part of that flame is not the burning of the carbon but the vapors coming out of that brick of chemical/charred wood. That's not a whole lot of carbon there. Not the real stuff anyways.

Made made CO2 I can understand but molten carbon rising to the surface isn't going to ever be a common thing, at least not in any sized blast. At best, it trickles to the surface. I would see that carbon contributing to acid rain more than an abundance of C02.

I guess my point is... They make it seem like "Oh no! Enough carbon lava to blow up the whole US and what it doesn't blow up, will fill your lungs with CO2"! when it's nothing like that.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck
The whole point of making charcoal is to drive off the volatiles from wood, leaving just the carbon behind. A charcoal fire is mostly carbon burning.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I guess i was just being a stickler. Not all charcol created equal. No worries.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I'm wondering if molten carbon can come to the surface in that state(molten) ?

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Could it be a molten craton?

www.britannica.com...

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I think there is some sort of mis-understanding as to what is going on.
It is not molten carbon per se, it is molten carbonates.

The upper mantle is the layer that sits directly under our planet's crust, and extends to a depth of about 410 km (250 miles).

Within this layer, temperatures can span from 500 to 900°C (932 to 1,652°F) near the crust, and can reach a hellish 4,000°C (7,230°F) in the lower mantle closer to the central core.

That ridiculous heat is constantly melting carbonates - a large group of minerals such as magnesite and calcite that all contain a specific carbonate ion - and this molten carbon is thought to be responsible for the conductivity of the mantle.

www.sciencealert.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join