It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racial resentment may be fueling climate denial, study finds

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Gin

Ugh.....
Just shoot me.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I really don't think racism plays much of a role here, nor in the subject of having a dislike of Obama.

Really, the most consistent factor seems to be acceptance of AGW among Statists (what many call "liberals"). Beyond that, its pretty hard to predict. The right, moderates, centrists, etc. all seem pretty tough to accurately predict stance on this topic.

As a liberal, I absolutely question the extent of our impact in the provided scenarios. Even so, I think there are a plethora of things we can do that would minimize our species environmental impact and that everyone can get behind.

I have absolutely NO confidence that the answer is in taxes, bickering on the internet, or things like the Paris Climate Accords.

I think the key lies in providing technologies and processes that transcend political ideology. There are an enormous amount of effective avenues that everyone can get behind (and even get excited about), but they don't include taxes, donations, converting nonbelievers, or dubious agreements.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Obama was waging a war on Texas.

Everything from minimizing disaster relief, to refusing to let the retired space shuttle be displayed at NASA Houston.

The mainstream media never touched on the fact that Texas HAD its own independent electrical grid, with generation costs significantly below the east or west us grids.

And then it turned out that there is a major coal bed in Texas, south of Waco. And it is hot burning, clean burning anthracite; unlike the sooty lignites from Appalachia.

Corpus Christi is the closest by rail port to Colorado coal fields, which coal is also highly desirable for steel making. China, India and the EU were all interested in developing some kind of export facility in Corpus. Basically, the Sierra Club would complain to the EPA, and every application would be shot down, but only AFTER the developers had bought land and signed contracts. This was to cost so much that developers quit even trying.

Does that make the developers racist?

Does it make Hispanics who wanted a job at the port racists?

Does it make me a racist for telling you about stories the tv news won't cover.

It wasn't about the color of obamas skin. It was about the Feds denying economic development in the Southern US, that they routinely allow for blue states.

Or maybe that Obama spent more money on a tropical storm in the north east, or on California mudslides, than on hurricanes in Texas and the south.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam
I really don't think racism plays much of a role here, nor in the subject of having a dislike of Obama.

Really, the most consistent factor seems to be acceptance of AGW among Statists (what many call "liberals"). Beyond that, its pretty hard to predict. The right, moderates, centrists, etc. all seem pretty tough to accurately predict stance on this topic.

As a liberal, I absolutely question the extent of our impact in the provided scenarios. Even so, I think there are a plethora of things we can do that would minimize our species environmental impact and that everyone can get behind.

I have absolutely NO confidence that the answer is in taxes, bickering on the internet, or things like the Paris Climate Accords.

I think the key lies in providing technologies and processes that transcend political ideology. There are an enormous amount of effective avenues that everyone can get behind (and even get excited about), but they don't include taxes, donations, converting nonbelievers, or dubious agreements.

well said

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I might add, racial resentment fuels a great part of conservative republican philosophy and the Trump cult.

Indeed, IF America didn't have so many minorities of color we'd of been had things like universal health insurance.

This racism I think does indeed filter to a nuanced issue like climate change.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Trump & Company's gutting of our environmental programs that help reduce global warming, is a terrorist act that will harm a larger percentage of the poor and minorities, (compared to the rich --- like Rush Limbaugh), who mostly can't afford to migrate to safer areas too escape from rising seas and flooding of coastal land zones.

So yes...it is a form of racism, that is meant to subjugate mostly poor minorities, while leading to ethnic cleansing as well; due to disappearing habitable land masses from global warming.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

uhh you had to bring Bill Nye into this didnt you

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Erno86

Actually global warming doctrine is class-war waged against the poor by liberal elites. The poor in America work in the exploititave industries like coal, oil and lumber. So liberals attack those industries.

Trump won by getting working class people to vote for him, in places like Michigan an Pennsylvania.

Just proof that the whole left/right divide in the US is a class-war, not a race-war

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: tovenar

What with some of the major coal companies that rape the land, like with the mountain top coal mining in West Virginia --- That's environmental terrorism in my book...

edit on 26-5-2018 by Erno86 because: added a word

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Erno86

Yeah, not the point. The point was that the Obama era EPA was used as a political tool to dis-favor red states and "red industry".

But let's talk about your example. West Virginia was a blue state, and it's coal goes to electric utilities on the east coast, even though it produces dirty lignite. So strip mining there is ok. Development of coal in the Southwestern US was shuttered, because red states.

Liberals somehow can't acknowledge the class divide in this country, ever since they quit championing the workers.
edit on 26-5-2018 by tovenar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Overall...the demand for coal is rapidly depleting all over the world. Which is not a good economical outlook for the coal industry in the United States.
edit on 26-5-2018 by Erno86 because: spelling

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Going green sure isn't "raping the environment".

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
So minorities blaming everything under the sun on People of Whiteness is the cause of climate change denial?

Yeah I don't think so.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

The top one is BHP’s Escondida copper mine in Chile, one of the largest such mines in the world.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
I might add, racial resentment fuels a great part of conservative republican philosophy and the Trump cult.

Indeed, IF America didn't have so many minorities of color we'd of been had things like universal health insurance.

This racism I think does indeed filter to a nuanced issue like climate change.

You would think that. You seem to see racism wherever someone disagrees with your worldview.

The funniest thing is that Barack and Michelle are more racist than your average person, but somehow we are racist because we think they haven't presented a viable solution to climate change that's worth the trillions of dollars they want.
edit on 26-5-2018 by MRinder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Erno86

Overall...the demand for coal is rapidly depleting all over the world. Which is not a good economical outlook for the coal industry in the United States.

All the news I could google says demand is stable. In truth, demand for lignite (dirty coal) is in decline, while the cleaner anthracite is experiencing a boom, with demand from developing nations.

The fact is, "the United States is the Saudi Arabia of Coal", with a quarter of the earths coal located here.

See we could decrease pollution by selling our anthracite to developing nations, helping them clean up while they industrialize and transition to cleaner fuels, like natural gas--of which the USA is the number 7 exporter on the planet.

But most of that boom would be in red states, so don't hold your breath.

Instead, developing nations will just turn to the next great American invention:

Fracking.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Yes clmate change is racist.

The planet hates people.

Therefore the planet is a racist.

It's trying to kill off the human race.

The only effing race on the planet.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Sounds like turning correlation into causation, which is what propagandists do.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I disagree...

Sure I think that gets woven into the tapestry of conservative reality, but saying it is at the root is a VERY bold claim..

I think it comes from the fictional universe the right has set up for its base.

The right has been sellers by this “everyone is involved in a massive illuminati type conspiracy against us” narrative for most of my life.

They literally believe all the media sources not hard right are in a vast conspiracy to discredit republicans/conservatives..

They literally believe that 95+% of scientists are in a vast illuminati type conspiracy to discredit republicans..

They literally believe there is some massive well spring of people who want to disarm the american people when LITERALLY NO ELECTED OFFICIAL IN HISTORY HAS EVER SAID THEY WANTED TO DO THAT.. plus there are no warm bodies willing to do it.. the army wouldn’t and the cops wouldn’t..

They literally believe that white Christian males (who presently run EVERYTHING) are the most discriminated against sector of reality..

None of that stuff is even remotely true.. and is very easily debunked, but they basically all believe it..

Modern conservatism doesn’t work unless you believe in logistically laughable conspiracy theories..

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join