It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abortion referendum count: ‘quiet revolution’ as Yes set for landslide win

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   
You never disappoint Sublime.

a reply to: Sublimecraft

Good - unborn fetuses have no rights

Do unborn fetuses have rights over fully grown human beings? Including the person who's body will be under considerable pressure and labor? No, no they don't and it is good.

Personal responsibility is in the hands of the state, those elated by this government decision are low-informationers

Speaking of 'low-informationers' (is that even a word?) you talk about personal responsibility but you are aware many of those children forced into this world end up suffering all the same in poverty and neglect? Many are deserted and put through foster care homes at the expense of you, the tax payer. Child services, your taxes go into that. Medical treatment for botched abortions, your tax payer money gets spent on that. What ends up happening? Years of tax payer money spent on unwanted kids, single mothers on welfare, medical costs, as opposed to allowing many of these individuals to go the other route and avoid years of suffering and cost.

'Low informationers'.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

it's totally immoral to kill a perfectly healthy child

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

it's totally immoral to kill a perfectly healthy child

What about imperfect unhealthy children who will be born into this world with a difficult future and a great cost to the tax payer? Down syndrome, severe autism etc.? Putting aside your definition that a fertilized egg is a 'perfectly healthy child'.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Hurray ! Now the Irish can Murder as Many Babies as they like ..............

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Hey - don't get me wrong - I'm a realist so I understand that there are circumstances where abortion is the only option so as to save the mother as too there are health issues associated with NOT having an abortion.

But, that ain't the issue I'm seeing and hearing. What I'm seeing and hearing (even right here on this thread) can best be summed up as:

Haha, suck it, conservatives and jesus lovers, we win, you lose - 'my body, my rights, unborn punch of cells have no rights'

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   
This is a tragedy.
God help humanity.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   

by what I have read, what was voted on was the repeal of part of their constitution that gave the fetus equal rights as living, breathing humans, including the mother that was carrying the fetus..

As they came in on Saturday from across the country, results had indicated that people had voted overwhelmingly in favour of removing Article 40.3.3 of the Constitution and that provision be made for the regulation of the termination of pregnancy.

www.irishtimes.com...

how liberal those regulations will end up being is kind of up in the air, but I have a feeling that it won't be an abortion free for all..

On Saturday, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar and Minister for Health Simon Harris said they now expect legislation providing for abortion to be published by the end of July and implemented by the end of the year.

Mr Harris said he hoped such a Bill will be published by the summer recess and introduced in the autumn.

The Government proposals allow for abortion on request up to 12 weeks and in limited circumstances after that.

www.irishtimes.com...

I don't know what you are seeing or hearing, but well....
calls for this referendum were the result of the needless death of Savita Halappanavar (there may have been other women who have died in recent years and she was just the straw that broke the camel's back, not sure there)..
she was 17 weeks pregnant when she began to miscarry, there was no way that the baby was gonna survive anyways...
and people can preach their abstinence all they want.... she was overjoyed to learn that she was pregnant by what I read.
she died a horrible, painful death, needlessly, all the while being told that she was in a catholic country and so there couldn't be an abortion. so instead of having just a dead baby, her husband ended up with a dead baby along with a dead wife!!!
this is just one example of the "hard cases" that were mentioned in the op's quote!!
so now, their constitution no longer gives the fetus equal rights to the women who is carrying it since those "hard cases" have shown that it's impossible really to extend those equal rights to both.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 07:29 PM
link   

In what world do you live in and where are you hearing this? Having an abortion is certainly not 'winning'. It often is a terribly rough decision. As someone who has known enough women who have made this decision I can tell you, people aren't coming out of it thinking they are 'sticking it' to anyone. They are the ones that bear the brunt and they carry it with them throughout their lives.

Someone else's choice with their own body has got NOTHING to do with you. It's always insane to me that the conservatives choose jesus over freedom on this one. Especially when they are dying on the sword for 'freedom'... or at least claim to be.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: okrian

It's always insane to me that the conservatives choose jesus over freedom on this one. Especially when they are dying on the sword for 'freedom'... or at least claim to be.

Especially since Jesus never said anything about abortion, even though it was extremely prevalent in those days, and his dad was not pro-life in the Old Testament, and actually advocated for abortion the murder of pregnant women.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: okrian

It's always insane to me that the conservatives choose jesus over freedom on this one. Especially when they are dying on the sword for 'freedom'... or at least claim to be.

Especially since Jesus never said anything about abortion, even though it was extremely prevalent in those days, and his dad was not pro-life in the Old Testament, and actually advocated for abortion the murder of pregnant women.

I hope that God forgives you.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Especially since Jesus never said anything about abortion, even though it was extremely prevalent in those days

I need sources for that. Valid sources
Else it is just inane tripe...

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

originally posted by: NthOther
We're going to abort our culture into the history books.

gtfo with that western culture supremacy

Supremacy?

originally posted by: Konduit
Isn't it funny how they call it Pro-Choice instead of Anti-Life?

isn't is funny how they call it pro-life instead of 'mandatory baby factory life'

Isn't it funny how it's not really mandatory unless people need hyperbole?

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

originally posted by: NthOther
We're going to abort our culture into the history books.

gtfo with that western culture supremacy

originally posted by: Konduit
Isn't it funny how they call it Pro-Choice instead of Anti-Life?

isn't is funny how they call it pro-life instead of 'mandatory baby factory life'

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: MRinder
I hope that God forgives you.

If the Christian god is real, then the OT is true, & he has a terrible track record and deserves no forgiveness for being spiteful, vindictive, and outright genocidal. As for the NT, the lesson of scapegoating is a terrible lesson. That too.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Especially since Jesus never said anything about abortion, even though it was extremely prevalent in those days

I need sources for that. Valid sources
Else it is just inane tripe...

Silphium was so fundamental to Cyrene's economy, the locals stamped its image on their money. Image credit: Alamy

Ancient people placed in the bedroom where its juice was drunk as an aphrodisiac or applied “to purge the uterus”.

Some scholars have suggested the herb was the first genuinely effective birth control. The seeds of the herb are heart-shaped and some think this could be the reason why we associate the symbol with romance to this day.

Ancient Romans were so fond of Silphium that they referenced their darling herb in poems and songs. The herb was also mentioned in great works of literature.

For centuries, local kings held a monopoly on the plant, which made the city of Cyrene, at modern Shahhat, Libya, the richest in Africa. Before they gave it away to the Romans, the Greek inhabitants even put it on their money. Julius Caesar went so far as to store a cache (1,500lbs or 680kg) in the official treasury.

www.ancientpages.com...

...the rampant use of an artificial contraceptive and abortifacient by Roman pagans may have contributed to the early Christian idea that in any way blocking conception is a most evil thing, silphium has impacted our society in another unusual way.
Certainly the connection between silphium and sex is apparent, though it’s not exactly a complimentary connection. However, a number of contemporary writings, namely Pausanias’ Description of Greece and a love poem from Catullus to his wife Lesbia (Catullus 7) draw a deliberate and unmistakable correlation between laserpicium and romance. It may be that the medicinal properties of the plant were regarded as a means to treat madness or love-sickness.

www.ancient-origins.net...

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Were the Romans Christian ?
As there is absolutely no dating for the "information" you posted , I guess I will have to check.
There are a couple of names though

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Were the Romans Christian ?

Romans were Pagan and then Romans were Christians.

As there is absolutely no dating for the "information" you posted

For centuries, local kings held a monopoly on the plant, which made the city of Cyrene, at modern Shahhat, Libya, the richest in Africa. Before they gave it away to the Romans, the Greek inhabitants even put it on their money. Julius Caesar went so far as to store a cache (1,500lbs or 680kg) in the official treasury.

Just in case: Gaius Julius Caesar; 12 or 13 July 100 BC – 15 March 44 BC), en.wikipedia.org...

...the rampant use of an artificial contraceptive and abortifacient by Roman pagans may have contributed to the early Christian idea that in any way blocking conception is a most evil thing, silphium has impacted our society in another unusual way.

It was a plant. It was around for centuries. Early Christians knew about it, at least through the writings of the likes of Pliny the Elder, who perscribed it for purging the uterus, and the other poets mentioned in the link. Julius Caesar knew about. That puts Jesus Christ squarly in the middle of that time period and in the right place. But, he said nothing about contraceptive plants or "woe unto women who purge the uterus to bring on menstruation."

edit on 27-5-2018 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 12:43 AM
link   
The time periods that you used are well over 2,000 years ago
This is 2017
I doubt that Julius Caesar had any relation to any form of religion
And , the purpose was for "ladies of the night" that got accidentally pregnant and wanted to continue with their vocation . An "underground" organization.
Yes , there was a time in the world when immorality was prevalent.
That changed a little later on , and a lot of common practices became unlawful and/or considered immoral
The only time periods I see from you are from well before the age and only with the Roman Empire and certain ME customs
Those all came to an end ,very early on.

edit on 5/27/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I doubt that Julius Caesar had any relation to any form of religion

Caesar was a god unto himself, and was deified on the day of a celebration of his birth, during the summer Olympics when a comet stopped by to embody his soul. en.wikipedia.org...

And , the purpose was for "ladies of the night" that got accidentally pregnant and wanted to continue with their vocation .

I highly doubt that. Silphium was valuable. Caesar was all about the money.

the Roman Empire and certain ME customs
Those all came to an end ,very early on.

Not before the advent of Jesus, who was apparently silent on the very popular subject.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join