It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it really pointless to argue politics?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Hey, I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but it seemed most fitting considering I do live in the U.S, and this thread is about politics. It didn't seem like it'd fit in RANT, but move it there if you must.

Back to my point, is it pointless to argue politics? As most already know, I'm 17 and a conservative. I've had some heated debates on this website which I've enjoyed. I've noticed, however, that it seems to be completely pointless. I believe that it was George Wasthington (off the top of my head) that warned against political parties and the dangers they pose. This has become steadily more evident to me. Think to yourself, how often to you ever change anyones mind on through the debates we have? Have you ever seen a thread end in "Ok, you're right, I guess I was wrong all along!"?. Most likely, your answer is going to be hardly ever, if not a resounding "no". To me, the main purpose of debating is to gain more insightful knowlege on the topics that matter to us, and perhapse change our minds on situation we may have been wrong about. Rarely does this happen. The purpose of the political party to me is so that people with similar views have something to call themselves. Our opinions decide which political party we belong to, not the other way around. Many people will feel pressured to take a certain side in an argument simply because of the political party they associate themself with. I am also guilty of this. I understand that sometimes a heated debate is fun and energetic, but I'm beginning to understand what people like John Stewart on "Cross-fire" are talking about when they say things like this are tearing our country apart. Now realize that this is in NO WAY an attack against this website or any of what it stands for. I am in no way condemning a healthy debate. I encourage debate, as it brings new knowlege to people who are seeking it. I just think that the way many people debate is tearing us apart, and maybe if people realize it we can work together for a change and really make a difference for the better.

[edit on 18-2-2005 by Herman]

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
At the time you have the most criminal and corrupt government in US history in power for a second term, you had better do more than just discuss politics.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
At the time you have the most criminal and corrupt government in US history in power for a second term...

Is that a fact? Do you disagree that we need to come together as a country, or are you in favor of division?

People speak of the illegality of Iraq, but technically we're still at war with Vietnam.

join