It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian-American Becomes First Turbaned Sikh Woman In NYPD

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: notsure1

a reply to: Nyiah

so about the her teaching a class while wearing it? Did you just miss that part?

She would be FINE as long as she's not trying to preach/proselytize/convert the class. You've got a long way to go before you understand actual problems with religion. Accoutrements aren't one of them.

Ok so a nun dressed in her full nun gear would be allright to teach as well?

Why wouldn't she? Granted, the odds of seeing a nun teaching anywhere but a Catholic school are slim to none, we'll run with this under the assumption that she isn't allowed to bring religious teachings into the classroom. If Sister Mary Lou manages to not do that, then what's the beef?

Sister Mary lou could not manage to not bring it up because the kids would ask..

The same with the turban.

"Because it's part of my religion. Now class, turn to page 36 and let's begin today's lesson."

How is that hard to imagine? That's how a Jewish sub we had in elementary school answered questions about her star of David necklace from the kids. Never went any further & nobody ever brought it up again.

Well back in the day it wasn't a problem, besides now, it's not the kids bitching it's the parents.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

a reply to: burgerbuddy

Ok, Unagi refers to a type of eel, unless there's some alternate hipster slang term I don't know about. Eels have what to do with your point...?

Thanks!

lol!!

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

originally posted by: dug88

so about the her teaching a class while wearing it? Did you just miss that part?

She would be FINE as long as she's not trying to preach/proselytize/convert the class. You've got a long way to go before you understand actual problems with religion. Accoutrements aren't one of them.

Why not? How does it affect her ability to teach?

Physical ed classes.

And sure, no prob with the flying nun teaching a class, right?

Well my school gym teacher was overweight and fairly incapable of doing the things he made us do...didn't stop him.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

Why not? How does it affect her ability to teach?

Physical ed classes.

And sure, no prob with the flying nun teaching a class, right?

Well my school gym teacher was overweight and fairly incapable of doing the things he made us do...didn't stop him.

Is fat a religion now?

I could have been a pope.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 03:19 AM
link   
wow this has gotten so far off topic its hilarious.

Let me try to bring this back to the issue of a turban / native headdress while being a cop (be it auxiliary or regular LEO).

In every job you have a STANDARD UNIFORM.
In those standards EVERYONE has to follow it.
It DOES NOT MATTER if some particular item of clothing, jewelry, facial hair (for men) or hairstyle requirement "does not effect the performance of your duty" if it is AGAINST THE STANDARD.

Now police departments have uniform and grooming standards so as all officers not only look the same, but present an image that reflects the department favorably.
they do have separate uniforms based on duty. Like tactical , dress, k-9, bomb squad, ect.
but that is based on SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS and still every person doing that job HAS SAME STANDARD.

If you dont like the standard its up to THE PERSON to either conform or DONT TAKE THE JOB.

For example in my job we have rules against headgear (exception is a SPECIFIC HAT for the dress uniform) and facial hair.
if a sikhs male wanted to work here NO EXCEPTION would be granted for a beard or turban and they dont have a legal leg to stand on.

we also work nights, weekends, holidays. We have people who are religious that usually worship on a specific day.
they dont get that day off just because. they either have to take time off, hope their day off falls on it, or just suck it up and work it.
Or dont take the job.

The issue here isnt her culture, her religion or her turban for that matter.
the issue here is the continued expecting that work places have to change their standards just because someone (outside of sex or race) wants them to accept XX for whatever reason.

I see the frustration because while the dept accepts the turban on males and females, they do not make that accommodation for others universally.

I have no axe to grind, hatred, or even care what a person worships, culture, ect.

but if there is a standard I am expected to follow than so are they.

dont like the LEGAL standards, then DONT TAKE THE JOB.

thats all people

Scrounger

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 04:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
I really really hate those types of headlines... her sex and religion should be the last thing talked about.

If she is good enough to make through that should be the point... Not first Black female astronaut… or the first female pilot in the blue angles or what not.

First female *President*? OK??

People really need to learn to look past sex and skin color... FFS we have regressed in my lifetime, I was brought up believing what the person does is far more meaningful that their skin color, sex, sexual orientation.
Now it seems like I am being told to worry more aboutthe superficial garbage than the content of the charecter.

Or like ^^^^Scrounger's^^^^ post says

In those standards EVERYONE has to follow it.
It DOES NOT MATTER if some particular item of clothing, jewelry, facial hair (for men) or hairstyle requirement "does not effect the performance of your duty" if it is AGAINST THE STANDARD.

Now police departments have uniform and grooming standards so as all officers not only look the same, but present an image that reflects the department favorably.
they do have separate uniforms based on duty. Like tactical , dress, k-9, bomb squad, ect.
but that is based on SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS and still every person doing that job HAS SAME STANDARD.

Well said scrounger NO IF's and BUT's ...... uniformity = intergration!!!

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Makes me sick thinking about this. Imagine if the NYPD had not hired her citing the headdress as reason, good freaking luck, next is the full sheet covering, why not?

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 05:14 AM
link   
a reply to: tayton

I'd have done exactly that. Religion should have no place in policing, (IMO, of course) adornments included.

I don't think the public is paying for religious statements. Leave that crap at home and have a bit of professionalism.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Great, good for her. Maybe she can help educate some yanks on the difference between Sikhism and the Abrahamic death cults most of them are obsessed with.

From my experiences, I find that I generally get on well with Sikhs. They are friendly in the way that christians pretend to be.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I love my Turban they rock as headgear.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Meh...
I'm impartial.
More concerned with quality of outcome. If she does her job well. Then great. But if this is some quality of opportunity leftists bs than it will surely fail miserably. Which it might very well be seeing as this is New York.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody
Great, good for her. Maybe she can help educate some yanks on the difference between Sikhism and the Abrahamic death cults most of them are obsessed with.

From my experiences, I find that I generally get on well with Sikhs. They are friendly in the way that christians pretend to be.

Yawn...

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   

I just think she shouldnt wear it while working as a public servant . I dont care what she does on her personal time.

Then you're really not going to like the new NJ AG...Link

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   
When you voluntarily sign up for uniformed service you are giving yourself to something greater. That something greater requires a uniform so others can identify you. She should wear a normal police uniform with hat AFAIC.

The problem when exceptions are made is the line is always pushed further.

She is cute thought and I wish her well as an APO.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

You're so cool

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Non discrimination laws means just that... workplace, housing and banks carry basically the same nondiscrimination laws, although the cost is typically the real line used to divide.

That is until some old ugly steps in called hate... and flouts a note few care to hear.

So it is good the tune of this story. A true melting pot allows any recipe as an individual or group... of course laws are laws; and when church cannot stay out of state; then state should be allowed into church. Aside from tax shelters many of them are places to hide their criminal activities.

Speaking of cooking the books... salivation does not cause salvation unless the food is already prepared.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: wheresthebody

I think you'd find that many Yanks know that there's a difference. Seemingly, however, you don't since Abrahamic faiths are not "death cults--but whatever.

...and that would be "some" Christians. Tell me, do you always pigeon hole entire groups??
edit on 5/27/2018 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

First female *President*? OK??

Madam President would be the title I believe.

That ship sailed some years ago, in the Army now if you are listed as a pagan you can wear a beard in uniform, if you are a Sikh you can wear the head wrap and carry a knife, etc.

The federal govt has already killed the concept of a standardized uniform.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

only ones who think it gets better after we die

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 02:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: eletheia

That ship sailed some years ago, in the Army now if you are listed as a pagan you can wear a beard in uniform, if you are a Sikh you can wear the head wrap and carry a knife, et

The federal govt has already killed the concept of a standardized uniform.

Actually NO the "federal govt" did NOT "kill" the concept of standardized uniform.

there is no federal law that states that "no company can have set a standard for uniform"

they CHOOSE to remove THEIR STANDARD(S) .

the NYPD, the NYFD, or joes crab shack can STILL LEGALLY set a uniform , grooming, ect standard.

so unless you can show where either the FEDERAL LAW prohibits setting a uniform standard or someone has A CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to wear whatever they want at a job then your just trying to claim a right that does not exist.

Scrounger

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join