It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian-American Becomes First Turbaned Sikh Woman In NYPD

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

So why cant other kids pray ? Its not forcing anyone else right?

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
a reply to: burgerbuddy

Ok, Unagi refers to a type of eel, unless there's some alternate hipster slang term I don't know about. Eels have what to do with your point...?

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

Yes. What makes her any worse than some of the non-nuns I had to suffer through in school?

The fact she might wear a coif? Or a cross? Or **gasp** both?

Quite frankly, though appearances can be deceiving, the young lady in question, looks rather neatly professional, and probably will be professional in her dealings with the public.

This is a whole lot of fuss and feathers over a whole lot of nothing.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Yes. What makes her any worse than some of the non-nuns I had to suffer through in school?

The fact she might wear a coif? Or a cross? Or **gasp** both?

Quite frankly, though appearances can be deceiving, the young lady in question, looks rather neatly professional, and probably will be professional in her dealings with the public.

This is a whole lot of fuss and feathers over a whole lot of nothing.

I just think she shouldnt wear it while working as a public servant . I dont care what she does on her personal time.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

This is awesome!!!

I'm going to go to work next week in buckskins and moccasins!!!

I will request my pay be in seashells and shiny beads!!!

It makes no sense whatsoever!!!!

Where did America just grow a giant vagina and start being so PC that it makes no sense whatsoever???

Why not, in America, assimilate the culture?

FFS, this is a Cherokee woman talking here.

Why do you not want to be part of the culture you now live in? You moved here for a reason. after all... to be freer than the place you moved from?

It's just frustrating watching this unfold... they put you in boxes, then smaller boxes, then smaller ones....

I know why it's being done and I am sad that the OP author is applauding it.

You are making yourselves slaves.

Again.

edit on 25-5-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   

If the nun kept her beliefs to herself I could care less, the nuns outfit however is a uniform for female clergy(I guess you would call it)..a turban is everyday attire for most Sikhs.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Uhhhh. What?

You are aware that America is a melting pot right? Not a clone system.
edit on 25-5-2018 by okrian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari
Why not, in America, assimilate the culture?

FFS, this is a Cherokee woman talking here.

Then as a Cherokee, you should understand the complexity of cultures, and how literal I intend "WHICH culture?" to be. Which American culture? West Coast? Southern? Deep South? New Englander? New Yorker? Midwestern? Southwest?

Saying there's a singular overall American culture is about a retarded as implying there's one overall, all-encompassing Native American culture & everything's identical. Are you & Eskimos (Edit: more properly, Inuit & Yupik) really all that similar in culture? I doubt it. It's a melting pot here, it's no singular uniform culture to adopt, there's regionals at best, and they're pretty hard to quantify as it is beyond food & accents.
edit on 5/25/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: okrian
a reply to: Lumenari

Uhhhh. What?

You are aware that America is a melting pot right? Not a clone system.

I am aware that America is a melting pot. Assimilation is a part of that. Thus the words MELTING POT.

Assimilating the culture, learning the culture, being a part of it.

America HAS a culture, sparky.

There some part of that that makes you go... Uhhh What?

Or just the whole part of it?

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   

An Indian-American working in NYC will be harassed and racially abused endlessly by ghetto dwellers.

Hopefully she has thick skin.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 09:35 PM
link   

I am aware that America is a melting pot. Assimilation is a part of that. Thus the words MELTING POT.

Assimilating the culture, learning the culture, being a part of it.

America HAS a culture, sparky.

Then your challenge of the week is to define standardized American Culture country-wide.

I'll be waiting, but I don't expect much beyond a lot of empty buzzwords. This is much harder to nail down than people think once they start trying to.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Then you don't understand at all.

Not like a Cherokee had to assimilate the culture, right?

Or are you saying, as Progressives always do, that we HAVE to have 141343475349857394857 different cultures in America to be a diverse community?

No... we need to be Americans first. Hyphens second... or actually not at all.

Otherwise we just get split up so that we infight so much that we lose track of the people that are running the circus. You know, the ones that keep us at each other so we can't unite and make the place better again.

I'm sorry.. I've had a long day and this is probably way over your head.

Good night.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Or are you saying, as Progressives always do, that we HAVE to have 141343475349857394857 different cultures in America to be a diverse community?

Otherwise we just get split up so that we infight so much that we lose track of the people that are running the circus. You know, the ones that keep us at each other so we can't unite and make the place better again.

Good night.

You tried real hard to sidestep quantifying the one stand-out American culture out of many as the standardized one by crying "prog, prog!"

DIdn't work. Quantify it.

Otherwise, all you just did was admit in a roundabout way that you cannot because region to region, state to state, city to city, cultures here are greatly varied by default. Salt Lake City and Key West don't have the same culture. NYC and the Appalachians don't have the same culture. Napa Valley and the Ozarks don't have the same culture. Try telling a country boy he's no different from a city slicker and see how that turns out.

Distances, ethnic origins, money or lack thereof, this crap impacts these culture variations in the country whether you like it or not, and crying about having to be robot clones first before anything else won't make them go away, let alone make that happen. Flyover country will never say they're the same as seaboard city folk.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Good night.

You tried real hard to sidestep quantifying the one stand-out American culture out of many as the standardized one by crying "prog, prog!"

DIdn't work. Quantify it.

Otherwise, all you just did was admit in a roundabout way that you cannot because region to region, state to state, city to city, cultures here are greatly varied by default. Salt Lake City and Key West don't have the same culture. NYC and the Appalachians don't have the same culture. Napa Valley and the Ozarks don't have the same culture. Try telling a country boy he's no different from a city slicker and see how that turns out.

Distances, ethnic origins, money or lack thereof, this crap impacts these culture variations in the country whether you like it or not, and crying about having to be robot clones first before anything else won't make them go away, let alone make that happen. Flyover country will never say they're the same as seaboard city folk.

What I get from you is anyone that does not agree with you is a racist bigot. Which makes a person just as big an intolerant bigot as they accuse everyone else of being..
edit on 25-5-2018 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Why do you not want to be part of the culture you now live in? You moved here for a reason. after all... to be freer than the place you moved from?

:

yeah man.
she is from queens. someone else who didnt read the article and just saw the lid and wanted to bitch.

so whats the problem now?
can you just admit it is the lid that bothers you cause you dont like it?

it is not a situation of her being part of the culture cause she moved here. she is from here. so same rights as you.

so whats your problem?

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Oh horses#, you still salty? What I asked was to sum up a standardized American culture that applies to all so well that, as mentioned, even Flyover folks can agree they're identical to Big City folks. It won't happen because they don't see their own cultures as that similar to begin with.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   

No... we need to be Americans first.

if you are from queens what are you?

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Why?

We Americans like to prattle on and on about being a melting pot. Where there is room in the house for every ethnicity, creed, and belief under the sun. I happen to agree with that.

Why should people be forced, and it is forced, to, however temporarily, suppress their beliefs? Their beliefs are what make them who they are, for good or for ill.

To make anyone, irregardless of belief, do this is anti-ethical to what America is supposed to be.

America isn't supposed to be about denying yourself to make others happy. It's about all of us sharing in those very differences that make America so unique.

That includes teachers who are nuns wearing their coifs and crosses. Or a Sihk police officer wearing her turban. They should not have to kowtow to anyone.

This, this is what the Rev. King was speaking for when he made his immortal "I have a dream" speech beneath the gaze of Lincoln's statue.

There is either room for everyone to be themselves without fear of ridicule, or oppression, or the Dream he so eloquently spoke of has become a nightmare.

We made such progress, much of it in my lifetime, towards equality. The right to be treated as we are, not to be forced to pretend to be something we're not. A former colleague of mine was forced to cover up a tribal tattoo that he received for coming of age. It was a turtle. That's all. Just a turtle.

He quit his job, rather than deny, however slightly, however temporarily, something so fundamental to his.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 10:24 PM
link   

a reply to: burgerbuddy

Ok, Unagi refers to a type of eel, unless there's some alternate hipster slang term I don't know about. Eels have what to do with your point...?

Delicious eel.

Ross from friends.

His mental state is Unagi for karate.

Just laff, it's funny. Maybe you had to be there.

Uniform is just that, The Same.

She is not uniformed.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

originally posted by: notsure1

originally posted by: notsure1

so about the her teaching a class while wearing it? Did you just miss that part?

She would be FINE as long as she's not trying to preach/proselytize/convert the class. You've got a long way to go before you understand actual problems with religion. Accoutrements aren't one of them.

Ok so a nun dressed in her full nun gear would be allright to teach as well?

Why not? How does it affect her ability to teach?

Physical ed classes.

And sure, no prob with the flying nun teaching a class, right?

new topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join