It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian-American Becomes First Turbaned Sikh Woman In NYPD

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

originally posted by: notsure1
I think she should lose the turban and not be allowed to wear it on the job.

Why? How does it affect her ability to work? I imagine you wouldn't say this if it was a cross she was wearing...

Actually if it was outside her uniform and noticeable I would.. does That make me a racist too? lol
edit on 25-5-2018 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

Ok, Unagi refers to a type of eel, unless there's some alternate hipster slang term I don't know about. Eels have what to do with your point...?

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   

And you would be ok with her teaching a public class to 7th graders wearing it?
Please explain why this concept makes you sad?

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

And when the hell did religion become a RACE???

Its not racist to not like a religion.

Oh for f's sake. Here you go, since you obviously can't grasp plugging the word into a search engine.

dictionary.cambridge.org...
bigot noun [ C ]
us ​ /ˈbɪɡ·ət/

a person who has strong, unreasonable ideas, esp. about race or religion, and who thinks anyone who does not have the same beliefs is wrong:
Some of the townspeople are bigots who call foreigners terrible names.

a person who has strong, unreasonable beliefs and who does not like other people who have different beliefs or a different way of life:
a religious bigot
He was known to be a loud-mouthed, opinionated bigot.

Go argue with Cambridge about the definition.

Ok so to get this straight me not wanting her to wear this on the job makes me a racist bigot?

A general bigot, yes. Because you have no solid leg to argue from upon. It's a wound cloth HAT. That's all. Normal atheists can knock stuff down to their basic names & not have an issue with them -- cross, star of David or crescent on a chain: necklace, Ash Wednesday mark: dirty face, Turban: Headgear, Yarmulke: cute little Jewish hat.

Pick your fights wisely, there's a big difference between keeping unwarranted proselytizing in check & leaving innocuous garb -- that can't proselytize without the wearer's mouth running -- be. Pluck the lacies out of the hooha & chill.
edit on 5/25/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Oh for f's sake. Here you go, since you obviously can't grasp plugging the word into a search engine.

bigot noun [ C ]
us ​ /ˈbɪɡ·ət/

a person who has strong, unreasonable ideas, esp. about race or religion, and who thinks anyone who does not have the same beliefs is wrong:

a person who has strong, unreasonable beliefs and who does not like other people who have different beliefs or a different way of life:
a religious bigot

Ok so to get this straight me not wanting her to wear this on the job makes me a racist bigot?

Why not? How does it impact her ability to teach?

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   
You have a choice going forward

This is not the Mud Pit. You can either knock off the back and forth, and the personal attacks on each other, or you can be post banned and lose your posting privileges. The ball is in your court.

Do not reply to this post.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

so about the her teaching a class while wearing it? Did you just miss that part?

I think its a valid point? If you dont want religion in school why would you want it on the police force?

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   

bigot noun [ C ]
us ​ /ˈbɪɡ·ət/

a religious bigot

Well because in America we dont allow religion in schools.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   

so about the her teaching a class while wearing it? Did you just miss that part?

She would be FINE as long as she's not trying to preach/proselytize/convert the class. You've got a long way to go before you understand actual problems with religion. Accoutrements aren't one of them.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   

bigot noun [ C ]
us ​ /ˈbɪɡ·ət/

a religious bigot

How does wearing a turban mean she would be teaching a religion in school?

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   

She would be FINE as long as she's not trying to preach/proselytize/convert the class. You've got a long way to go before you understand actual problems with religion. Accoutrements aren't one of them.

Ok so a nun dressed in her full nun gear would be allright to teach as well?

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Why not? How does it affect her ability to teach?

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   

bigot noun [ C ]
us ​ /ˈbɪɡ·ət/

a religious bigot

I dont know How is saying "under god" in the pledge of allegiance doing it?

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Why wouldn't she? Granted, the odds of seeing a nun teaching anywhere but a Catholic school are slim to none, we'll run with this under the assumption that she isn't allowed to bring religious teachings into the classroom. If Sister Mary Lou manages to not do that, then what's the beef?

link   

bigot noun [ C ]
us ​ /ˈbɪɡ·ət/

a religious bigot

I dont know How is saying "under god" in the pledge of allegiance doing it?

Hmm I dunno what that has to do with this...a more pertinant example would have been say a teacher forced to not wear a cross.

link   

I dont think it would. How does praying effect their ability to learn?

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   

I dont think it would. How does praying effect their ability to learn?

Hmmm well praying usually involves talking to an imaginary being and thanking them for giving you life and other such things....schools tend to teach facts and such. Someone wearing religious clothing of any kind is fairly different than having children pray to a specific god...that comparison is ridiculous.

Tell you what...I just asked my friend with an 8 year old child which would bother her more a teacher with a turban or a teacher that made her kid pray...i'll let you know what she says...

edit on 25/5/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Why wouldn't she? Granted, the odds of seeing a nun teaching anywhere but a Catholic school are slim to none, we'll run with this under the assumption that she isn't allowed to bring religious teachings into the classroom. If Sister Mary Lou manages to not do that, then what's the beef?

Sister Mary lou could not manage to not bring it up because the kids would ask..

The same with the turban.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Sister Mary lou could not manage to not bring it up because the kids would ask..

"Because it's part of my religion. Now class, turn to page 36 and let's begin today's lesson."

How is that hard to imagine? That's how a Jewish sub we had in elementary school answered questions about her star of David necklace from the kids. Never went any further & nobody ever brought it up again.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Well this is my friend with a child's input

edit on 25/5/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join