threw this in Skunkworks because this is purely me thinking aloud here. Let's consider a few things:
1. Stefan Halper has a history of being a CIA operative. What is being recently remembered (and the irony is not lost here) is that Halper apparently
managed apparently ex-CIA agents who were actually implanted INSIDE the Carter campaign during the 1980 election.
REAGAN AIDES DESCRIBE OPERATION TO GATHER INSIDE DATA ON CARTER
The sources identified Stefan A. Halper, a campaign aide involved in providing 24-hour news updates and policy ideas to the traveling Reagan
party, as the person in charge. Mr. Halper, until recently deputy director of the State Department's Bureau of Politico-Military Affairs and now
chairman of the Palmer National Bank in Washington, was out of town today and could not be reached. But Ray S. Cline, his father-in-law, a former
senior Central Intelligence official, rejected the account as a ''romantic fallacy.''
Mr. Casey, the Director of Central Intelligence,
who was Mr. Reagan's campaign director, said in an interview Tuesday that such a surpise was of special concern to Reagan strategists. He said Mr.
Garrick had spoken of using retired military officers to watch military airfields for the dispatching of hospital aircraft for the hostages. A source
from the Reagan campaign who asked not to be named said, ''There was some C.I.A. stuff coming from Halper, and some agency guys were hired.'' He added
that he was never aware that this information was particularly useful and that he and others had their own sources within the Administration who
provided unsolicited information. Receipt of Security Papers
The gist of what appears to have been happening here is that they were tasked with stealing foreign policy documents and then exfiltrating them to the
Reagan campaign so that Reagan wouldn't be caught off guard. Lots of CIA people including George Bush, William Casey, etc involved here. Halper's
former father-in-law was the head of the CIA's Directorate of Intelligence in the 60's.
Somehow this scandal is largely forgotten.
2. There were the rumblings about threatening ongoing operations by identifying Halper. That implies that he was already doing other things for the
3. Then there's Halper's decade plus tenure at Cambridge. It smells like a well developed cover that would keep Halper active in circles with foreign
policy people, diplomats, etc. Excellent cover to travel, meet people, etc. He's also apparently tight with ex MI6 chief Sir Richard Dearlove. Both
were part of the Cambridge Intelligence Seminar until they resigned in late 2016, Halper citing, "unacceptable Russian influence" over the group.
4. On July 7th of 2017, Carter Page made a trip to Moscow to give a very pro-Kremlin speech which caused a lot of controversy. At the time, there was
a lot of speculation about him having meetings with high-level Kremlin officials. He was even asked at the event if he would be doing so by a Russian
reporter to which he gave a coy, suggestive response.
Carter Page wasn't an unknown to the IC. As we all know, an SVR spy ring had tried to recruit him though after he was approached by the feds, he
cooperated. That didn't seem to substantially change the nature of his interactions though.
5. A few days later, he was at a symposium (Race to Change the World, with a theme of the 2016 presidential election and future foreign policy) to
which he'd been invited by Stefan Halper. It's not precisely clear the circumstances for this invitation but presumably, this would have occurred in
June or possibly May (Carter couldn't remember in the interview I saw).
6. WikiLeaks starts dropping emails on July 22nd. Somewhere between the announcement of the DNC hack in mid-June and July 31st, Downer puts two and
two together with the GP conversation from May and reaches out to the US.
7. The FBI counterintelligence investigation opens July 31, 2016.
8. A month later, Halper meets for coffee with Clovis. According to Clovis they basically just talked shop, with Halper talking about China quite a
bit. (which is apparently a specific area of expertise for him) In a very recent interview, Clovis said there was nothing suspicious but in hindsight,
he wonders if Page was his in to Clovis and Clovis was in turn, his in to reach out to Papadopoulos.
9. On Sept 2nd, Halper offers to pay Papadopoulos to write a paper on Mediterranean oil fields and invites him to London. Eventually paying for his
flight and hotel.
10. Now in London on Sept 15th, Halper meets with Papadopoulos at the Traveler's Club, a centuries old private watering hold frequented by diplomats
and spies. At this meeting, from accounts, Halper allegedly is pretty brazen about asking Papadopoulos about Russian interference, the hack, whatever.
Reportedly, it was enough to set off some alarm bells for GP who had just gone through this month's long dance with Misfud, Olga the Russian temptress
and the "MFA Connection" in Russia.
edit on 2018-5-25 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)