It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Read this, then use a sledgehammer on your Amazon Alexa

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti

a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

Is this being reported anywhere other than Fox News?

Trump's little suck-up to the point of delusional station, while Trump, who is actively trying to destroy Amazon due to jealousy and because Bezos doesn't think Trump is pretty?

Nah. Trump wouldn't collude with Fox to try to ruin Amazon. He's above that, right?

Do you have a one track mind and can't enter a conversation without throwing in a dig on Trump? What do you say when someone asks you what time it is? Let me guess... time for Trump to get impeached. How's the weather? getting worse since Trump pulled out of the Paris accord. What's your favorite color? Anything but orange. Et cetera, et cetera.

Pretty weak come back, bro.

Some of us are able to put 2 + 2 together. It's called critical thinking.

Try this on for size:

Fox loves/worships Trump.
Trump HATES Amazon.
Therefore Fox, like good little puppets, will do what it can to help him ruin Amazon.

Have nice day in this absolute disgrace.

I doubt Fox News and Trump are responsible for Amazon listening and recording conversations. That's what we were talking about, if you check the OP.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat
I'd like to know more information on the event. Was it a glitch or did the couple inadvertently command their echo to send a message to this person in their contact list? I'm thinking it is the latter.

Echo woke up due to a word in background conversation sounding like "Alexa." Then, the subsequent conversation was heard as a "send message" request. At which point, Alexa said out loud "To whom?" At which point, the background conversation was interpreted as a name in the customers contact list. Alexa then asked out loud, "[contact name], right?" Alexa then interpreted background conversation as "right." As unlikely as this string of events is, we are evaluating options to make this case even less likely."

(From Amazon)

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

The consumer would have had to set up the connection to the contacts list.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti

Is this being reported anywhere other than Fox News?

Trump's little suck-up to the point of delusional station, while Trump, who is actively trying to destroy Amazon due to jealousy and because Bezos doesn't think Trump is pretty?

Nah. Trump wouldn't collude with Fox to try to ruin Amazon. He's above that, right?

Do you have a one track mind and can't enter a conversation without throwing in a dig on Trump? What do you say when someone asks you what time it is? Let me guess... time for Trump to get impeached. How's the weather? getting worse since Trump pulled out of the Paris accord. What's your favorite color? Anything but orange. Et cetera, et cetera.

I agree this is getting a bit crazy but most of the people complaining about it said all of the exact same stuff for the previous 8 years. Just sayin'

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short

My girlfriend got a new laptop last year I told her if she had it in bedroom keep it closed or take over webcam she said why I told her because people van use it to spy on you. She looked at me like 8 was crazy so I told her leave it open on table for 5 minutes while I walked out side when I came back in I put down my laptop and told her to hit play on video I had keyed up it was several minutes of her and her mom saying I was full of crap how would someone even know how to do that. They were both shocked !
Now she has an app on her phone she uses to access her laptop cam to watch her kid watching her laptop while she in other room

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   
This is more steps inching closer to the Mark of the Beast.....controlling buying and selling..

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

"I'm never gonna get me one of those Alexa things!" - Guy Typing on Internet

How do YOU know Guy said this?! Are you part of this too?

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Oh well, did the the masses think really? The sad part is people using these with trust when they were warned what what the like(phones, web cams hooked up, e-mail, etc.) can do with invasion of privacy. Even kid's toys and adult toys that are electronically controlled participate in snooping whether they admit to it(for study and or advertising) or not, nothing is sacred.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Pretty weak come back, bro.

Some of us are able to put 2 + 2 together. It's called critical thinking.

Try this on for size:

Fox loves/worships Trump.
Trump HATES Amazon.
Therefore Fox, like good little puppets, will do what it can to help him ruin Amazon.

Have nice day in this absolute disgrace.

Liberalism is a mental disorder; the post.

It's so pathetic that you would try to politicize this too in order to try and jab one at Trump.
Just out of the sheer pity I feel for you - yes places other than Fox news are regarding Alexa as a spy tool - Thanks google and literally two keywords.

Also, I stumbled upon this on WaPo too. Do you know the connection between WaPo and Amazon? (would be hilarious if you don't), but hey why not just ignore reality and "put 2 and 2 together" to realize this is nothing more than Fox and Trump conspiracy against Amazon? LOL! EZ math.
I bet you're going to tell your Alexa all about it at night.

Having lots of cats used to go along with a crazy person. Now it's having an Alexa.
edit on 26-5-2018 by 1337Kph because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 06:42 AM
link   

For years now everything we do, there is government entities trying to record and store that information to use at a later date. To the upper echelons, you, me and the rest of the world are nothing more then guine pigs to test on. We are not given respect nor ability to live our lives in freedom as we are not important.

With that said, look into echelon, RAF Menwith Hill, five eyes and the such and you will see that phone calls, wireless communications of the world are being monitored. The difference is with Alexa is that could be hacked by anyone and used to hold people ransom. On top of that, in the future if lets say, you had objections against how the government does things and you wish to fight them. They could use privately saved conversations to basically put you in prison by bending the facts. In essence stopping you from interfering with their ideas.

Remember money and power corrupts even the rational of minds.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
How do YOU know Guy said this?! Are you part of this too?

You know we can see you through your TV too, right?

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Your phone is just as bad, IMO.

Last week, I was joking with a couple coworkers about those organic packing peanuts that are basically cheese puffs without the powdered cheese.

I went home, and I was shocked to see ads (same ad) for powdered cheese on a bunch of websites.

Android phone, Google account. Home computer used Chrome, also Google, signed into the same account.

My phone was not unlocked, it was sitting on my desk about 10 feet from me.

Coincidence? Maybe, but how often do you see ads for powdered cheese packets online? I had never seen one, then all the sudden I see more than a few on different sites, including here on ATS, after talking about them earlier in the day. ( I was nice and disabled my adblocker in this site a couple years ago, I'm about to reconsider that choice)

It was an eye opener, and now I'm beginning to understand why almost EVERY phone these days has a non removable battery. You can never fully turn them off.

I now have a lidded wooden box on my desk that I put my phone in when I'm not using it, and I'm making another for home.
edit on 26-5-2018 by poncho1982 because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-5-2018 by poncho1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   
RTFM and knowing how the tech you use works goes a very long way.

Sadly 98% of people are using technology way above their intelligence, even if it is just a phone, tablet or video game console.
THAT is the real problem here imho.

I get a lot of IT work fixing peoples computers, things like removing viruses, even installing drivers and just really really basic stuff. If these people took 5 minutes to open a help file and read, I'd be out of work.

The fact that people cry they are bullied online 24/7 because they do not know how a simple power button or privacy and blocking works, is anyone really surprised we're heading to a big brother reality?

lol just going to get worse as people will cry and bitch online instead of taking steps to ACTUALLY do something about it.
As always people shall impotently rage while they wait for someone else to clean their mess up for them.

I mean sheesh, why is anyone surprised? Stories about devices like our phones etc listening to us have been going around since the early 2000's. And wire tapping and bugs have been around even longer.
So why are so many only getting angry about it and crying foul now?

If you're against your smart phone or internet connected home assistant selling your soul on you, what are you doing about it?
I can tell you now it'll be the same answer I always get to that question. NOTHING.

Want privacy? Get off the internet, including ATS. Throw away your phone. Don't own a smart TV, computer, tablet, anything that transmits anything. Move to the middle of nowhere and never leave home.
Otherwise you just gotta suck it up.

Or you know you can get off your ass and do some old skool protesting and do that revolution thing we humans used to do.

As the song goes. Little less conversation, a little more action.

Seriously we'll be seeing this same conversation about augmented reality google/microsoft/apple glasses in another 10 years. and another 10 years after that and so on and so forth and around and around and around we go.

But yes, vent some more. It will change jack #. But you'll feel a little better.
edit on 26-5-2018 by AtomicKangaroo because: .

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=23430438]AndyFromMichigan[/post

The first time I heard of these things, my first thought was why would anyone purposely bug their own home? If I have a question, the computer and phone are enough. This is tech gone a step too far, it all starts out innocent enough then it gets used, abused and misused,

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: darepairman
a reply to: [post=23430438]AndyFromMichigan[/post

The first time I heard of these things, my first thought was why would anyone purposely bug their own home? If I have a question, the computer and phone are enough. This is tech gone a step too far, it all starts out innocent enough then it gets used, abused and misused,

As long as humans and technology has existed it has been abused. Nothing new to see here.

Seriously if someone invented a machine tomorrow that instantly cured all forms of cancer, you know someone somewhere will try to modify it to give people cancer.

If you can think of any kind of tech, from any time period, there will be someone who has used it to abuse others.
What's really sad now though is people are willingly signing up to be abused.

I can tell you right now someone outraged somewhere in the world is using that very same device betraying them to write a post somewhere online about how mad they are, instead of you know. Ditching the thing.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: RomaSempre

It's context aware.

It's real AI, it's just not fully sentient. It can do things that a human mind can, but not everything yet.

It used part of it's neural networks algorithm to determine that your dogs were beagles, it may not have explicitly marked all your photos.

Or.... It just thought you said show me cute pictures.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

"Content delivery network"

Don't blame ATS.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

If I were a very intelligent neural network based computer, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't send myself any internet traffic under testing conditions by iot or mit.

;]

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: wylekat

Little too gone there m8.

How did your wife see it, in the first place? Probably similar condition.

It probably wasn't granular down to this person, that person, etc...

It was likely just a regional ad push.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: poncho1982

You were on the same network or in the same location as your friends, whom you were joking with.

If one of them decided to search up those things, tada.

Very often it isn't tracking individuals, but cookies, network access, and GPS region.

If someone near you searches for something, it might show you the thing too.

If someone near you BUYS something online, you are Definitely going to get ads for it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join