It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump pardons late black boxing champion Jack Johnson

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Why has Trump decided to be Johnson’s savior? There is perhaps a feeling that Trump would use a pardon to score points over Obama. Washington feels that “a pardon would provide Trump with an opportunity to do something, albeit symbolic, about racial injustice. Trump’s Justice Department is reviving the ‘tough on crime’ policies that created the racially biased disaster of mass incarceration – the exact catastrophe that Obama tried to mitigate with both policy and his huge number of commuted sentences.”

So should Johnson be pardoned? After all, the Mann Act rap on Johnson never had much credence. Gerald Early, chairman of Black American Studies at Washington University in St Louis and editor of, among other books, The Muhammad Ali Reader, says: “I think it is fine to pardon Johnson. It was obviously a racially motivated prosecution that was done under a very poorly conceived piece of legislation. But there were other questionable or debatable prosecutions under the act that should be looked into as well, Chuck Berry’s for instance. In as much the law is an example of federal overreach and has clearly not done well what it was purported to be trying to do – namely, protect women from being prostituted – probably many who were imprisoned under the act should be pardoned.” From an Allen Barra piece.

So once again Trump does something for the optics. Not because it was the right thing to do. Trump only likes the people that bow to him.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

What was I thinking.

#Impeach45

#We'llMakeUpAReasonLater.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Nice to hear he was black.

He himself referred to himself as Black Jack Johnson. Even musician/actor Mos Def (Yasin Bey) referenced the name in his rock band as Black Jack Johnson.

*sigh*

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: toolgal462

Yes the force is strong in this one. Dead people can't vote. But if someone new they were terminal they could cast an absentee ballot before passing. Hmmmm. Thinking isn't something the cult is allowed to do on their own.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Blueracer

Let's be honest, how many of them even knew about this case? The only reason Trump knew about it is because he was petitioned by Sylvester Stallone. And as someone that has hosted some of the biggest boxing matches in history you would think he would have more knowledge of the sport than any other President.

Guess what? The President doesn't have an encyclopedic knowledge of every case in US history. They pardon people that have petitioned them to be pardoned. For all we know no one ever petitioned to have Johnson's "crime" pardoned.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

So you don't agree with a pardon because trump did it and because he's already dead? I think its because it destroys your narrative that trump is a racist who hates the black community.

I'm sure if Obama signed the pardon it's a progressive president battling oppression and youd be crying tears of joy

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Any public comments from Don King yet ?

🥁

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

So by your reckoning it`s no big deal to pardon someone if they are dead? What about Alan Turing or Colin Campbell Ross or the many other people who were rightly given a posthumous pardon?

I doubt very much they were doing the happy dance in the afterlife either, but it gives recognition that what happened to them was wrong and corrects a miscarriage of justice which should be recognised. I think it was done with good intentions and fair play to Trump for it.

Do you think Trump shouldn`t have pardoned him?

People who have no horse in the race for who the president of the USA is are really starting to get tired of the petulant, immature people who have to try and turn every positive thing Trump may have done into some kind of negative. We get it you don`t like him, you`re far too intelligent to be hoodwinked by the ginger one etc, but please it`s so boring, its like listening to a pubescent teenager throwing a strop.

If you see a thread about something Trump has done what is positive, why not give that thread a miss?

Peace.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Noted racist pardons black man.

More at 11.

-how CNN will report it.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Obama had this in the works 2 years ago.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Stevenjames15

Why has Trump decided to be Johnson’s savior?

I didn't know that he had. You will provide the source for that please?

Washington feels that “a pardon would provide Trump with an opportunity to do something, albeit symbolic, about racial injustice.

George? D.C.? which washington? Also why is "washingtons" opinion important to me? Isn't doing anything to combat racial injustice a good thing?

So should Johnson be pardoned?

I had no idea prior to the story being released that Johnson had issues with what appears to be a horrible racial misapplication of the act. So yes he should be pardoned.
Perhaps trump will take the advice of Gerald Early and pardon others in similar situations.

So once again Trump does something for the optics.

I don't see where you got that from, but not surprised about that opinion. Even Gerald Early said "I think it is fine to pardon Johnson."

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Any public comments from Don King yet ?

🥁

only that he was angry he was not a part of the show

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stevenjames15

Yes the force is strong in this one. Dead people can't vote. But if someone new they were terminal they could cast an absentee ballot before passing. Hmmmm. Thinking isn't something the cult is allowed to do on their own.

Get over yourself and grow a sense of humor. However, if you want to push the issue, then look no further than the Democrats, who are refusing to allow investigations all over the country into voter fraud.

And since it is not the subject of this thread, I wont bother to refer you to the countless reports of "dead people voting" that are alleged to have occurred.

If this is just a big joke why don't the Dems let it be investigated?

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

If he actually cared about the Black community wouldn't he be pardoning the countless number of nonviolent drug offenders? Funny how when Obama did that the Right, including Trump, had a conniption.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: loam

originally posted by: underwerks
The only reason a person would do this is to use Jack Johnson for some kind of political capital.

And there it is. A perfect example of why things will get much worse in this country before they get better.

The fact of the pardon is less significant than the imagined reason for it.

Bravo.

Our nation is well and truly ####ed. Isn't it.

Trump can't do one good thing without someone taking a very large defecation on it.

Please. Calling out a politician for using dead people for political gain is a bad thing now? Seriously?

Do you actually believe this rights any of the serious wrongs in Jack Johnson’s case? This is only moral platitude. And I think the same about any other politician, regardless of side who does the same type of thing.

Trump can’t right the wrongs of the past with an ink pen. No matter how much you all want that to be true.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Ah ok, so it's true even though you have no proof. Very logical.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: JDmOKI

If he actually cared about the Black community wouldn't he be pardoning the countless number of nonviolent drug offenders? Funny how when Obama did that the Right, including Trump, had a conniption.

You're deflecting and any rational person has no problem with any President pardoning Mr Johnson. Omg the political points! Good price to pay for a racist conviction during a racist time in our history

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Ah ok, so it's true even though you have no proof. Very logical.

Actually, I was making a joke. But there may be truth in it. Stop being obtuse, because that is just one other reason that even non Trump voters, (like myself), are sick and tired of your constant whining, bitchin', moanin' and making a giant mountain out of every molehill!
edit on 24-5-2018 by toolgal462 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Interestingly enough:

In 2016, then-Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nevada, and Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, along with Reps. Peter King, R-New York, and Gregory Meeks, D-New York, petitioned the Obama administration to grant a pardon to Johnson. The bipartisan group of lawmakers sent a letter to the White House asking that the pardon be given in honor of the 70th anniversary of the boxer's death.

"While it is unfortunate that this unjust conviction was not corrected during the boxer's lifetime, a posthumous pardon today represents the opportunity to reaffirm Jack Johnson's substantial contributions to our society and right this historical wrong," the letter said.

In March 2017, Sen. Cory Booker, D-New Jersey, joined with McCain, King and Meeks to reintroduce a resolution urging Johnson's pardon.

"Despite this resolution passing both chambers of Congress several times in recent years, no pardon has been issued to date," McCain said in a statement at the time. "I hope President Trump will seize the opportunity before him to right this historical wrong and restore a great athlete's legacy."

CNN

So both chambers of Congress petition for a pardon several times in recent years...Trump complies...and now that's bad?

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: loam

The only reason a person would do this is to use Jack Johnson for some kind of political capital.

And there it is. A perfect example of why things will get much worse in this country before they get better.

The fact of the pardon is less significant than the imagined reason for it.

Bravo.

Our nation is well and truly ####ed. Isn't it.

Trump can't do one good thing without someone taking a very large defecation on it.

Please. Calling out a politician for using dead people for political gain is a bad thing now? Seriously?

Do you actually believe this rights any of the serious wrongs in Jack Johnson’s case? This is only moral platitude. And I think the same about any other politician, regardless of side who does the same type of thing.

Trump can’t right the wrongs of the past with an ink pen. No matter how much you all want that to be true.

Glad to hear you admit it! Because the whole SJW movement is based on nothing more than "moral platitudes" to further a political agenda. Remember the next time a white guy uses a gun to kill someone and how anti constitutionalists jump on the dead body band wagon to try and take away one of our rights!

I am sure this mans family feels some relief from this move and that's all that should matter?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join