It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Can't Block Critics From His Twitter Account, Judge Says

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

originally posted by: generik
so laws being fair and all that, if the President, or politician can not censor by doing things such as blocking people, then wouldn't that also follow that platforms such as facebook, twiiter or any other site (including ATS), or even private citizens also can not do the same? in other words all those blocked or kicked off things like facebook, or people banned from ATS, would be equally against the law? even a person blocking someone they may have a beef with on facebook or other social media would also equally be against the law?

The difference being Trumps twitter account is the Presidential account, when he started announcing policy through it it stopped being private and became public.

Even if a private citizens Facebook post is public, it is private because it’s not a vessel for announcing presidential policy.

Thanks Mark!

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

originally posted by: DJW001
a reply to: Xcalibur254

The ruling establishes a distinction between private citizens and public servants. President Trump has used his twitter account to announce and further public policy. That makes it an official organ of the Office of the Presidency. Blocking users from posting on his feed is like refusing to allow reporters to pose questions at a press conference. It is indeed a violation of the First Amendment.

Donald Trump needs to grow up. He is no longer speaking as a crooked New York real estate developer, he is speaking for the people of the United States of America. This is why the hostility. He certainly does not speak for the majority.

Watch twitter go down if they do this.
(

How many times have you guys predicted this? Still waiting.

I'm the only one. '

Stop painting with the wide brush!

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I bet the entire Trump Administration is sweating bullets over THIS devastating judicial revelation.

Oh, as a side note, I could SWEAR that there was a thread here not 5 minutes ago entitled "The Many Crimes Of Donald Trump", but I'll be damned if I can find it now.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Actually, I'm thinking that the entire administration may just give up and resign over THIS devastating turn of events.
edit on 24-5-2018 by MteWamp because: sp

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

Tough #, Trump is still a citizen.

A citizen preparing to invoke "executive privilege." He cannot have it both ways. Even comic books recognize that with great power comes great responsibility.

Yes, Trump is vengeful and will burn the whole country down if it crosses him, but twitter will do just fine... until everyone gets bored with it and moves on to another platform. Remember MySpace?

Is the Govt political (whatever that means) or a biz?

That is an unbelievably stupid question. The government is collectively how the will of the people is executed. That makes it political. Unfortunately, Trump is trying to run it like a family business.

Gonna start a thread.

About what?

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Will be interesting to see how the pro second ammendment crowd will put their foot in it dismissing this.

When I say interesting, I mean hilarious.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

He is not going to start a thread. He talks a big game but never backs it up. He is mostly just a troll.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 06:55 AM
link   

What if people load that judge's Twitter account with critics.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

The ruling establishes a distinction between private citizens and public servants. President Trump has used his twitter account to announce and further public policy. That makes it an official organ of the Office of the Presidency. Blocking users from posting on his feed is like refusing to allow reporters to pose questions at a press conference. It is indeed a violation of the First Amendment.

Donald Trump needs to grow up. He is no longer speaking as a crooked New York real estate developer, he is speaking for the people of the United States of America. This is why the hostility. He certainly does not speak for the majority.

(

How many times have you guys predicted this? Still waiting.

I'm the only one. '

Stop painting with the wide brush!

You must say it an awful lot then.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Blocking people on twitter is the same as denying people the right to petition the government for a redress of grievances. Now Trump can simply choose to ignore any and all tweets towards him. But he can't block.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Edit: this was meant to be an edit, not reply.
edit on 5/24/2018 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: generik
so laws being fair and all that, if the President, or politician can not censor by doing things such as blocking people, then wouldn't that also follow that platforms such as facebook, twiiter or any other site (including ATS), or even private citizens also can not do the same? in other words all those blocked or kicked off things like facebook, or people banned from ATS, would be equally against the law? even a person blocking someone they may have a beef with on facebook or other social media would also equally be against the law?

The difference being Trumps twitter account is the Presidential account, when he started announcing policy through it it stopped being private and became public.

Even if a private citizens Facebook post is public, it is private because it’s not a vessel for announcing presidential policy.

Thanks Mark!

Comparing me to zuckerburg because I understand the differneces between Public, Private-Public, and Private? Cool. I wish I were that wealthy though. I’d make my own ATS, with no mud-pit.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

I understand the difference between public and private citizens. I just don't see how this in infringing on the plaintiffs freedom of speech. They're still allowed to post negative things about Trump on Twitter. They can still keep abreast of Trump's policy decisions through the media like most people. They still have avenues to make official complaints about the government.

Like I said in my OP, I can certainly understand where this judge is coming from. I just see it as an overly judicious application of the First Amendment.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Relax, Mr. Presents!

I'm not doing the Twitter Gewitter. But maybe I should, now that a judge decided that you'd have to take the heat like a man...

What a spoiled child, I guess he wont have supper brought to his bed today.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Social media addicts are the only ones that care about this. Seek counseling.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   
The readers of Chief "Who tweets like a teenage bird" just don´t read critical tweets to him, problem solved for the Donald of all Donalds, the Chief in Tweet himself.

It looks like his puppetmasters try to keep him away from his spyPhones and Twitter, there is no such a tweet bombardment like in the beginning, but sometimes lil Don seems to escape with melanias spyPhone to the bathromm. to send a tweet. That´s when all his puppetmasters and controllers have to work hard, to relativize the rubbish lil Don tweeted again.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   

As a Russian bot, I wonder if the hypocrites at twatter will unblock me?

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 08:23 AM
link   
This legal opinion comes to an astoundingly stupid conclusion on several fronts. But I'll leave you to read the judge's rulings for yourself.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
Which means that it sets an interesting precedent for all government employees.

IDK about that. It's a strange time when presidential press releases are made via digital media.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: SKEPTEK

As a Russian bot, I wonder if the hypocrites at twatter will unblock me?

I'm not sure whether they do enemas or not. Bwahahahaha....

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join