It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Can't Block Critics From His Twitter Account, Judge Says

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 04:52 AM
link   

It took more than 280 characters, but a federal judge in Manhattan ruled Wednesday that President Trump and his aides cannot block critics from seeing his Twitter account simply because they had posted caustic replies to his tweets in the past.

U.S. District Court Judge Naomi Reice Buchwald cited First Amendment principles in holding that the social media platform offered a forum in which people could not only consume information and opinion from public figures but offer feedback to elected officials — just as they have the right to do in newsprint or in person in public spaces.

Source

An interesting bit of news that came out yesterday. I'm surprised I haven't seen it posted on here. Personally I can understand the judge's rationale but at the same time I'm not entirely sure if it's the right the decision. But I guess that's always the case when it comes to discussing how the Constitution applies to new media.

I'm guessing as inconsequential as this case is in the grand scheme of things that Trump will not be appealing. Which means that it sets an interesting precedent for all government employees.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 04:57 AM
link   
One judge says the moon is made of green cheese and unicorn farts...
So , ?
Probably one on the Left Coast .

edit on 5/24/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on May, 24 2018 @ 05:00 AM
link   
The very fact that judges are weighing in about Twitter, means this world is doomed.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I hope they force him to post food pics on Instagram.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Southern district of New York.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 05:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
The very fact that judges are weighing in about Twitter, means this world is doomed.

We've entered some strange timeline surely...........

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I read that... then checked to see if I was on a Satire site, then pondered if I would ever spend the money it would take to reach this point.

Decided nope, got a lot better things to be spending my money on rather than a court case of trying to force someone to listen to my 150 character validation of my life garbage.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 05:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: Gothmog

Southern district of New York.

Ah , the Left Coast wannabes

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 05:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Trump can dish it out, but he can't take it. Trump is just another snowflake.
edit on 24-5-2018 by MiddleInsite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInsite

Yup.
The president crying over Twitter makes it to court. We are in #ing strange times

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Does this upset you for some reason?

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Now watch the crap storm that gathers as all of the people banned by twitter come howling with judgements.

This will either be squashed or it will be so huge that FB and Twitter will shake in their boots.

P

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 06:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: MiddleInsite

Yup.
The president crying over Twitter makes it to court. We are in #ing strange times

From the source:

The case was technically filed against Trump, his former communications director Hope Hicks, his chief press secretary Sarah Sanders, and his social media director, Daniel Scavino. The White House did not give any indication to NPR or others whether the administration will appeal the decision.

Sounds like the ones that got blocked are the ones crying and filed the case.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 06:08 AM
link   

The ruling establishes a distinction between private citizens and public servants. President Trump has used his twitter account to announce and further public policy. That makes it an official organ of the Office of the Presidency. Blocking users from posting on his feed is like refusing to allow reporters to pose questions at a press conference. It is indeed a violation of the First Amendment.

Donald Trump needs to grow up. He is no longer speaking as a crooked New York real estate developer, he is speaking for the people of the United States of America. This is why the hostility. He certainly does not speak for the majority.
edit on 24-5-2018 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 06:08 AM
link   
so laws being fair and all that, if the President, or politician can not censor by doing things such as blocking people, then wouldn't that also follow that platforms such as facebook, twiiter or any other site (including ATS), or even private citizens also can not do the same? in other words all those blocked or kicked off things like facebook, or people banned from ATS, would be equally against the law? even a person blocking someone they may have a beef with on facebook or other social media would also equally be against the law?

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I smell a kick in the balls for someone.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Where did I give that indication?

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

The ruling establishes a distinction between private citizens and public servants. President Trump has used his twitter account to announce and further public policy. That makes it an official organ of the Office of the Presidency. Blocking users from posting on his feed is like refusing to allow reporters to pose questions at a press conference. It is indeed a violation of the First Amendment.

Donald Trump needs to grow up. He is no longer speaking as a crooked New York real estate developer, he is speaking for the people of the United States of America. This is why the hostility. He certainly does not speak for the majority.

Tough #, Trump is still a citizen.

Watch twitter go down if they do this.

Is the Govt political (whatever that means) or a biz?

Gonna start a thread.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: generik
so laws being fair and all that, if the President, or politician can not censor by doing things such as blocking people, then wouldn't that also follow that platforms such as facebook, twiiter or any other site (including ATS), or even private citizens also can not do the same? in other words all those blocked or kicked off things like facebook, or people banned from ATS, would be equally against the law? even a person blocking someone they may have a beef with on facebook or other social media would also equally be against the law?

The difference being Trumps twitter account is the Presidential account, when he started announcing policy through it it stopped being private and became public.

Even if a private citizens Facebook post is public, it is private because it’s not a vessel for announcing presidential policy.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

originally posted by: DJW001

Watch twitter go down if they do this.
(

How many times have you guys predicted this? Still waiting.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join