It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2nd Chinese Carrier Returns From Sea Trials

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 12:51 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499
Have a look at the pics that C0bzz linked. There is a good one taken on the dockside and clearly shows it has a hangar bay with its weather door closed and aircraft deck lifts.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 03:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: anzha
a reply to: thebozeian

Look closer at the decks.

Are they made of cheese?

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   

I stand corrected.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 03:48 AM
link   
I'm no carrier expert , but as a novice.............Im not seeing any deck lighting?
so maybe no night operations ?

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 04:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: urbanfox
I'm no carrier expert , but as a novice.............Im not seeing any deck lighting?
so maybe no night operations ?

Modern carriers don't need lighting. The Chinese version of GPS just lets the aerial vehicles land automatically. No fuss no visual heads up to opposing forces just clean and discreet take-off capability.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

No it doesn't. All carriers have lighting, it's just recessed into the deck so they don't damage it while moving aircraft around, or landing and launching. It's used for a lot more than just landing.
edit on 5/31/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
You know what the missing third thing is dont you? Bastard. Just put me out of my misery.

I have been looking at images of the first Chinese carrier out testing for comparison and I just cannot see what it is I'm missing. I know that it is really obvious "in front of your nose" kind of thing but I'm damned if I can see it. There is also a good graphic with size comparisons at This but I'm still not seeing what it is.

edit on 31-5-2018 by thebozeian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:40 AM
link   

It's the coating. It looks like they're using a high temp coating similar to what we're using for the F-35s. The theory put forward by Sam is that they found they can get a higher takeoff weight with the J-15 if they angle the exhaust, similar to what the F-35 does. But that puts a lot of heat into the deck and will tear up the deck coating fast.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Thats a whole lot from just a couple of pictures. Looks just like a shiny new deck with some water on it.

edit on 31-5-2018 by mightmight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: mightmight
Thats just on one or two of the pics. Looking at pics of the Shandong for comparison It just appears to be a lighter grey but as you said its a new and unblemished deck. I'm not saying the theory that Zaph just revealed is incorrect but I'm intrigued as to how it was arrived at.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   

The Chinese have developed a GPS type system that connecets to GP HUD systems issued to all naval personnel. Very forward looking and revolutionary in this field. Lighting is very yesterday

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   

The Chinese already have access to the new coating tech. The same coatings on the Queen Elizabeth are applied by Castolin Eutectic, which has a substantial investment into Chinese production facilities.
Weather the Liaoning has a similar coating is not well known since it was more a proof of concept and a training ship for the fleet. In all the videos of J-15 take-offs from the Liaoning they don't use vectored thrust on take-offs or landings although the J-15 probably has or is going to have vectored thrust capability if they follow along with SU-33 development.
If you watch any of the F-35B's flat deck take-offs, it uses the rear engine nozzle pointed downward to give them better lift in STO mode, something that I could see be an advantage for a thrust vectored J-15 as well to squeeze out more take off weight.

www.pce-international.com...

www.castolin.com...

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Of course they have. And it's accurate down to the inch and totally impossible to jam or destroy their satellites too, right?

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Of course they have. And it's accurate down to the inch and totally impossible to jam or destroy their satellites too, right?

Are you in on it too?

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   

In on being realistic about what any country can do? Absolutely. I'm all for realism.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Sorry for all the jibberish, this site is serious I lost the plot ignore anything above, the glue is kicking in (skiving on pc working in an industrial environment with glue not a glue sniffer). I don't want to derail this thread............ Appologies

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   
china-defense.blogspot.com...

No, China's second carrier isn't in drydock, despite rumors. Link has a photo from July 4th.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join