It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solo: A Disney Disaster

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Macenroe82

Now we have Ron Howard making the big Disney debut? Like this is going to make up for it?
come on Disney!
This is Star Wars, not Happy Days.

I'll see this one in the theater and give you my opinion once I do.

Your opinion is null. You already like it

edit on 24-5-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Cinderella man was great as well.
Never seen a beautiful mind yet

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Solo was great.

Donald Glover nailed it.

Alden whatever his name is was servicable.

The only real problem was that Harrison Ford can't be Han Solo in it.

(get over it)

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 04:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
Solo was great.

It was ok in some ways, but awful in many others...which is what we can expect from Disney and their handling of the franchise up to this point.

It's not a movie I would be excited to watch again, so instead I'll just have to watch the fanboys lap it up and cream themselves from a safe distance. That's the only entertainment value that can be had anymore.

edit on 25-5-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 05:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

All I'm getting from it is stupid one liners from a ditsy D list actor.
No grip. No aww strikeness, no nut punch.
Just a product of the Disney money machine spewing out more garbage.

Now just pretend that lasts 2 hours instead of 90 seconds and that's the movie. Enjoy.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Saw it tonight.

It was entertaining, but I'm not gonna call it a must-see in theatres. It was satisfying enough that I didn't feel like it was a waste of $20 for a night at the movies with my wife.

The plot keeps your attention most of the time, although there are some slow spots. It was fairly predictable, not really any surprises. Pretty well acted, even if it didn't really "feel" like a Star Wars film. Cinematography is similar to Force, Rogue, and Last Jedi.

Seeing the Falcon on the big screen didn't excite me as much as it did in Force, even though she gets much more screen time.

Out of the Disney Era films:

Rogue
Force
Solo
Last Jedi

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I enjoyed it, though I told myself have no expectations.but I'm not a fan boy either lol. Glover was good and liked seeing how Chewbacca was stumbled upon, and of course the Falcon. Guess with all the director turmoil with this one and cruddy TLJ it could have been really bad. It was serviceable.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: cynicalheathen

The Plot kept your attention. What Plot?

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Nobody was made uncomfortable by the feminist/rebellious Droid?? (For lack of a better term I dont know what to call it) The comedic relief effort that it tried did not go well.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I saw it today and I enjoyed it, the kids in the cinema appeared to enjoy it also.
Not the greatest star wars tale but I love anything Chewie so yeah I liked it.

posted on May, 28 2018 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

The one that you see when you don't go into the experience with the pre-conceived notion of "Disney Star Wars = Bad"

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I'll bet that most folks like it more with repeat viewings.
I'd highly recommend seeing it in 4D, if the option is anywhere near you. That was a pretty epic way to see it personally.

The two main actors did a great job encapsulating their characters (Lando and Han). Yes, the droid was annoying, but most every Star Wars movie has it's Jar Jars, Ewoks, or Porgs....you just learn to ignore them and tune them out.

I still get goosebumps seeing a Star Destroyer onscreen coming at ya in 3D....

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

I saw it again yesterday and you are right it was even better.
I didn't cry though at this movie though I nearly did when chewie turned up.
I liked Woodie's character and thought the dude playing solo was pretty good.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Calling it a "disaster" is a bit much. By month's end, it will have easily surpassed its budget, and that's just the domestic box office. The overseas box office take will likely be nearly as large, and of course, it will continue to make money over the years. This doesn't even consider the merchandising take for the movie, and the renewed interest in the franchise driving folks to the Disney parks, etc.

A disaster? hardly..... A disappointment? Maybe.... But seriously, that's on them. THEY are the ones who let the budget balloon to $250 million. THEY are the ones who released it while Deadpool 2 and Infinity War were still fresh in theaters. Their expectations were WAY to high, for a film with NONE of the original cast, and largely unknowns helming it. Especially considering the box office competition it was up against. Whoever did their estimates, should be looking for a new job (and probably is).

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

Its going to end up being a domestic box office flop, because, like you said, Disney decided to switch directors more than half way through, and re-filmed 70% of the movie.

If not it would of been a success on a similar level to the first Ant man movie for Marvel. Which also had a director change. Or any number of the non Avengers Marvel movies. Good but not great. Which is right where I think Solo should be.

No one was salivating over a young Han Solo movie before it was announced, at least I wasn't. But I thought it ended up being a good movie. I even thought Disney would make a sequel. But after the second weekend drop. The market has spoken domestically. Foreign box office might justify a sequel but I think its more likely at this point they pick up the loose threads at the end of Solo. In a Lando movie(Donald Glover is hot right now) or in the Bobba Fett movie.

Even if you did not have all the whiners crying at the top of their lungs. I think Solo was always going to come in around the numbers it did. At most I thought the second weekend might bring in around 50 million. Which is only 20 million less than it did. Disney's biggest mistake was making Solo the most expensive Star Wars movie ever made. All the anthology films should be mid budget movies. Think Deadpool budget.
edit on 6-6-2018 by karmicecstasy because: The force

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join