It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which Jesus' brother was tried in 62 CE?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Jesus ben Ananus is a well-known figure in historical Jesus discussions. According to Josephus, he wandered Jersualem for almost eight years foretelling the destruction of the city. He was arrested by the Jewish authorities, turned over to the Romans, was personally interviewed by the procurator, and was badly scourged by Roman soldiers. That sounds familiar.

This Jesus may also be important as the Jesus whose brother James was briefly mentioned by Josephus as a defendant in an illegal capital trial held shortly before Jesus ben Ananus began his prophetic rantings. The coincidence of timing coupled with the presence of two other Ananuses in the story that includes the trial may have contributed to Origen's many misrecollections about what he read.

Origen's faulty testimony about the trial is the basis for the general scholarly consensus that Josephus wrote that James' brother was Jesus called Christ. If he did write that, then it would be the only extant non-Christian mention of the Christian Jesus dating from the First Century, and a killer for "mythical Jesus" theories.

uncertaintist.wordpress.com...

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Can’t believe a word Josephus wrote.....IMHO

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   
What the heck is ‘CE’?

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Common Era..I think.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Yep, if it offends people just need to read AD
They are intercangable Just as BCE and BC are used. It is to remove Christocentric connotations from things. A tad OTT but hey not my monkeys or Circus.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Noinden

Thats what I figured, thanks for confirming.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

As a Pagan, I don't care. Some folks get incensed by AD and BC. In a few 100 years we could have a new year zero. So meh.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Hi Noinden--

It's funny to think that the Bishop of Lyons (Irenaeus) claimed to have it on good authority from a disciple of 'John the Elder, one of the 70 who wrote the 4th Gospel' that R. Yehoshua bar Yosef the Galilean Nazir (aka 'Jesus') was 48-years old when he was executed by the Romans for armed-sedition against the state. If we posit the crucifixion to have been around Pesach, 36 CE, then the 'true' calendar in the West would have to start in 12 BCE ('before the Common Era'); this would place the time of Jesus' birth around the time of the laying of the foundations of Herod's 2nd Temple in Jerusalem, echoed by the weird story ih the 4th canonical Greek Gospel ('according to John', whoever he was) that 'Forty and six years was this Temple in the building-process (i.e.c. 34 CE), yet you claim to be able to destroy this Shrine ['built with Hands'] and Re-build it [without hands] in Three Days? But he was speaking of the Temple of his Body...'

So, if you take Iranaeus' word for it, far from this year being 2018 CE it really should be 2030 CE ('Common Era') !!!

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sigismundus

Hi Noinden--

It's funny to think that the Bishop of Lyons (Irenaeus) claimed to have it on good authority from a disciple of 'John the Elder, one of the 70 who wrote the 4th Gospel' that R. Yehoshua bar Yosef the Galilean Nazir (aka 'Jesus') was 48-years old when he was executed by the Romans for armed-sedition against the state. If we posit the crucifixion to have been around Pesach, 36 CE, then the 'true' calendar in the West would have to start in 12 BCE ('before the Common Era'); this would place the time of Jesus' birth around the time of the laying of the foundations of Herod's 2nd Temple in Jerusalem, echoed by the weird story ih the 4th canonical Greek Gospel ('according to John', whoever he was) that 'Forty and six years was this Temple in the building-process (i.e.c. 34 CE), yet you claim to be able to destroy this Shrine ['built with Hands'] and Re-build it [without hands] in Three Days? But he was speaking of the Temple of his Body...'

So, if you take Iranaeus' word for it, far from this year being 2018 CE it really should be 2030 CE ('Common Era') !!!

Even if you discount the word of Iranaeus' entirely, we are still off by between 4 and 8 years. One little bit that seems to be ignored or forgotten is that pesky part where Herod allegedly called for infanticide of all male children under a specific age as described in the Book of Mathew. Personally I have a hard time buying that the Roman appointed King of Palestine cold have committed Infanticide on that scale without it being mentioned anywhere else outside of the Gospel of Mathew but that's neither here nor there in this example... the important thing to note here is that the Current Era allegedly begins with the birth of Jesus. Fine so far... if Jesus was born at the tipping point between year 1 BCE and year 1 CE, then Herod's infanticide campaign had to have taken place a couple of years after that right? SO how did a dead man order all male children to be killed? Herod most likely died in 4 BCE. Or 4 years prior to the randomly generated birth of CHrist. So even if we aren't off by 18 years, we're off by a few regardless. I wouldn't be terribly surprized if we lost another year or 2 here or there when converting dates from Julian to Gregorian systems, days lost to unused Leap Years etc...

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Joefoster
Can’t believe a word Josephus wrote.....IMHO

He gave us the measured account of the site of the temple....not the dome, he called that a Roman fort......Antonius, or something like that, and it was famous back then

the way it got mixed up is so typical that later

top topics

join