It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New NFL Policy. Re: The National Anthem.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

A player was suspended 6 games last season without even being charged with a crime.

Was it for protesting the national anthem? (no)

Also, I didn't say anything about a committing a crime. There are lots of bad behaviors on or off the field that can get players suspended without committing a crime.

However, you seem to think protesting the anthem might fall under code of conduct rules next season and initiate a six game suspension... that isn't going to happen unless a player maybe protests by burning a flag and pissing on it.

What today's announcement said was that the teams will be fined and the teams can also apply their own discipline for non-standers.

Also:

6. The Commissioner will impose appropriate discipline on league personnel who do not stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem.

Do you think the league will consider a six-game suspension appropriate discipline?

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Is it also interesting to you that while complaining about people boycotting over not seeing the players doing something the fans expect of them (respect the patriotic nature of the country that has created a system in which an individual can become a millionaire simply because they can run fast and catch or throw a ball), you're defaulting to a scenario in which the opposite is true... you have issue with the fans complaining about a group of players who are angry at not seeing fans doing something the players expect of them (respect the player's choices to show disrespect)?

This is why all of this is insane, frankly. Look, I don't give 2 craps if you watch the NFL, own NFL underoos, and cuddle a Bernie Kosar wifu pillow at night. You'r time, your dime, your call. The fans who are refusing to continue to put up with this crap from a bunch of whining, childish millionaires owe the NFL nothing. We don't owe them our time or our money. HOWEVER, when you consider the fact that aside from Texas Stadium, every NFL stadium was built using citizen tax dollars, most are maintained using those tax dollars, and most revenue from those stadiums (aside from concession revenue sharing) goes to team owners' pockets and then to those same players, arguably DO owe the fans everything. If that means recognizing that for 2 minutes before each game you gotta take the pity johnson out of the mouth and stand there with your hand over your heart while the flag is displayed and that means for 0.02% of your week it isn't all about the asshat with the ego, the bling, the hands, the cars, and the bitches and the attention is instead on the nation as a whole, then those players need to put on their dress diapers, wipe their little noses, and STFU for 2 minutes and pay the respect... or fans leave and don't come back. It's real simple, man, and it's the reality of the situation.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

There is only ONE way to look at this. The NFL lost hundreds of millions of dollars last year on ad revenues and license revenues were at an all time low. They don't care about the NFL base. They don't care about the liberal agenda. They care about revenues only.

It's irrelevant what I think regarding the decision but it sure goes to show where the real power lies.

With the consumer.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Pretty sure if any of us mere mortals protested and/or disrupted our employers incoming mobey stream on our employers time/dime, we’d be seeking employment elsewhere in pretty short order.

Anyone can protest anything anytime ... on their own personal time.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
you have issue with the fans complaining about a group of players who are angry at not seeing fans doing something the players expect of them (respect the player's choices to show disrespect)?

and STFU for 2 minutes and pay the respect... .

no
i am amused by people like you that want them to be forced to stand and show respect or patriotism or whatever that they do not have.
as said before.

dont you want them to want to stand and show respect?

isnt the actual respect the important thing?

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   
The NFL is a business, not a government institution. Their employees, the players, are in fact employees and not only that, paid insanely high salaries.

If you work for anyone and intentionally do things that drive away customers, they would fire you and rightly so.

This is no different, in any way, no matter how dishonest people are about it. This is not a free speech issue by any stretch of the imagination.

They don't want those huge salaries, they can simply quit and others will quickly replace them. Same as in any other business.

Why do people act like the NFL is a government entity? Or should I say pretend they are for political reasons?
edit on 5/23/2018 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

It has nothing to do with that mate. Had the protests INCREASED ad revenues and INCREASED license revenues then this rule wouldn't even exist. It has only to do with one thing. Massive hemorrhaging of loss of revenues.

But here is also another reality. You are the minority and your voice was not heard. The "voice" is the revenue the NFL lost last season because people were offended. Those people did not attend, tune into, or buy NFL licensed products in historic record numbers.

Maybe all the football loving liberals can pull together (lol) and do the same by not tuning into NFL games or buying NFL licensed products next year. If at the end of the year the NFL sees their revenues are lower as a result of the leftist boycott then maybe they will remove the rule and you guys can keep up the "unity" protest.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
The NFL is a business, not a government institution. Their employees, the players, are in fact employees and not only that, paid insanely high salaries.

If you work for anyone and intentionally do things that drive away customers, they would fire you and rightly so.

This is no different, in any way, no matter how dishonest people are about it. This is not a free speech issue by any stretch of the imagination.

They don't want those huge salaries, they can simply quit and others will quickly replace them. Same as in any other business.

Why do people act like the NFL is a government entity? Or should I say pretend they are for political reasons?

i agree with everything you said

why do you think people want forced respect or patriotism though?

i am having a hard time with this

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   

It's called "society" and a "social contract." It's at play in virtually everything we do. Unless you're an anarchist, there are certainly multiple times each day when you not only want to see, but rely on the phoniness of modern social interaction. Holy hell, every one of the players expects people to show them deference and forced respect every minute of their lives. What the hell do you think keeps them from hearing "Hey, arrogant asshole who'd be digging ditches or sitting on welfare if not for paid athletics!" multiple times per day? That door swings both ways.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: ketsuko

ok
im not interested in why they are doing what they are doing though.

i am far more interested in all the people that want them to be forced to submit or show respect or show patriotism.
the players side is not interesting to me

Oh, now, see I am.

Standing for the flag has a specific meaning and reason. It is a show of respect for the country and those who keep it our country, and the players said they weren't intending to disrespect the country ... but they made a move that was seen by many, especially veterans as doing just that.

It has nothing to do with issues in law enforcement and with police brutality which is what Colin Kaepernick said he was protesting and what started it all.

We do not stand for the flag to honor the police, not mainly.

I don't want to stop them from protesting police brutality, and if they want to do it around the game, so be it. But the NBA handled this far better. The NBA told the players to stow that sh!t around the anthem but that they had all the freedom they chose to find other ways to bring attention to it before the game -- video announcements, players wore shirts with slogans, stuff during warmup, etc.

So, why are you only here whining about how the NFL is stifling the players when the NBA is every bit as oppressive?

I think you really don't care all that much because you aren't whining about them.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

but you still didnt answer the questions so i will ask another

what is more important to you. them actually showing respect or them acting like it cause they have to?

you are right about social constructs and phonies though.
its definitely true and it definitely sucks.

i have a hard time with that kind of # and really try not to take part.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Could it be that people just want football to be football and not have politics infused into the mix?

I mean talk about brainwashing when you can't even watch a prime time show anymore without there being some partisan message infuse into it. Could we at least have the NFL players just play football?

An emotionally mature person with average critical thinking skills should have no problem just standing there out of respect for those for whom it's important. Starting a game by intentionally insulting many of the paying customers is childish at best.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
We do not stand for the flag to honor the police, not mainly.

We stand to honor the entire nation, from the soldiers to the citizens and all in between, all. He (later they) knelt to make it all about the individual kneeling. It was the ultimate middle finger, selfish act in a profession filled with egos and attention whores.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

There is that too.

Sadly, ESPN is just plain unwatchable anymore.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

especially veterans as doing just that.

So, why are you only here whining about how the NFL is stifling the players when the NBA is every bit as oppressive?

I think you really don't care all that much because you aren't whining about them.

first, some veterans said that they fought for their right to choose not to stand so there is that

am i whining? i thought i was having a discussion and asking questions that are not getting answered.
i am talking about the NFL cause this thread is about the NFL policy.

youre right. i dont care at all. not even a little bit.
NFL. NBA. stand. dont stand. i could give a #.

i am am simply amused. i like to debate and have these types of conversations but i cant stand most people so i dont get to have these conversations in real life. i do it here and when i have had enough i shut my computer.
this is relaxing to me.

i like to see what other peoples views are even when i dont agree.

so again. i am simply amused that so many people simply want them to stand and show respect even if they dont mean it.

do you get it now? not like i am being cryptic

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   

I am answering the questions, you're just not listening. I don't think there needs to be a separation between standing out of earnest respect and faking it (and this is probably why it burns you so much) the simple act of standing silently with hand over heart while the flag is displayed is the act of showing respect. There is no requirement where hearts and minds are concerned, but by God look at how respectful you look standing there SHOWING respect.

I get it, man. I fail at the modern PC/SJW "respect" horsecrap because I simply don't care. You and I aren't as ridiculously different as we usually seem to be on here... we just approach it from opposite sides of the political and cultural spectrum.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Technically their franchise is their employer. The NFL is just the governing body.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people out there that flaunt OSHA regulations that don't get fired.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: nwtrucker

More than enough numbers to force our will on them, .

more force
unreal

and them being able to stay in the locker room is a win for you?

Yes.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

Could it be that people just want football to be football and not have politics infused into the mix?

I mean talk about brainwashing when you can't even watch a prime time show anymore without there being some partisan message infuse into it. Could we at least have the NFL players just play football?

An emotionally mature person with average critical thinking skills should have no problem just standing there out of respect for those for whom it's important. Starting a game by intentionally insulting many of the paying customers is childish at best.

it could be and it should be but its not.
if people really wanted it to just be about football then they would go back to how it was pre 2009

www.snopes.com...

NFL players were not required to be on the sidelines during the playing of the U.S. national anthem for primetime games prior to 2009.

the NFl started getting money from the defense department to have the players stand.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

I am answering the questions, you're just not listening. I don't think there needs to be a separation between standing out of earnest respect and faking it (and this is probably why it burns you so much) the simple act of standing silently with hand over heart while the flag is displayed is the act of showing respect. There is no requirement where hearts and minds are concerned, but by God look at how respectful you look standing there SHOWING respect.

I get it, man. I fail at the modern PC/SJW "respect" horsecrap because I simply don't care. You and I aren't as ridiculously different as we usually seem to be on here... we just approach it from opposite sides of the political and cultural spectrum.

i guess we are kind of on the same page.

i just feel if a person is made to stand there then the respect that people want them to have is not there.
its just hard for me to comprehend.
just cause you look respectful does not mean you are. that is where i am coming from.

i would think it more important the respect exists vs looking like it exists when it does not
i just try to be me all the time. i dont really fit in with people and society and never really have.

i do not go out of my way to offend people or hurt them(i dont mean physically) but if i do there is not really anything i am prepared to do about it.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join