It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New NFL Policy. Re: The National Anthem.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: redmage

Could be, but technically, both statements can be true. He may have been denied the opportunity to own the team...but that's because the other guy paid more money than Trump was willing to fork over, apparently not because the league outright spurned Trump's offer as implied.
edit on 23-5-2018 by vor78 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   
If American football fans gave a modicum of the concern they claim they do about their beloved football players then they would place their concern more towards the brain trauma players are receiving that results in CTE which cause impulse control problems, suicide, memory loss, confusion, impaired judgment and sooner or later, dementia.

I would like to see NFL fans express dissatisfaction about this and to demand Roger Goodell to take further action to protect players. There 281 documented game-related concussions this past season which makes it the most recorded by the league since 2011, where is the outrage?

None. Instead, you see people throwing a tantrum over players taking a knee during the National Anthem.

In other words:

"You had better stand for the National Anthem! CTE? That's your problem, now . . . entertain me."
edit on 23-5-2018 by CorvusJackdaw because: grammatical error

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: XAnarchistX
a reply to: notsure1

Nothing says totalitarian like forcing people to stand for a worthless spectacle

if this is Trump winning, it says a lot how people think

yeah its pretty #ty.

nothing like forced patriotism. what a joke

its hilarious that people got so uptight that people were not standing that they had to stop watching football all together.
idiotic. its still football.

i do not understand forced patriotism or forced respect at all. not even a little bit.

isnt it better to want people to want to stand and show respect over forcing them to do it?
if it is forced it is not genuine which means it means jack #.

hilarious

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
Nope, not enough. The boycott continues. EVERY player should be on the field, standing, respecting the flag during the anthem. I've not watched a game in nearly 2 years and this virtual platitude by the NFL means nothing.

# yeah.
force patriotism yo

forced is best
hahahah

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: intrepid

Isn't it sad that the NFL feels the need to explain themselves or placate to ultra-nationalists?

Respecting the flag and the national anthem is "ultra-nationalist".
Hmm, who'd have thought...

if they are forced to show respect by standing against their choice then the respect is not really there.

pretty clear that you and others dont actually care about the respect part of it though.
as long as their standing.... thats all that matters

forcing people to show respect does not make it genuine.
so yeah. pretty clear you dont actually care about the respect. just make em stand right?

# em

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: nwtrucker

a reply to: American-philosopher

They have every right to protest, even if their rules are against it. Sure there may be repercussions, but that's the choice they make when protesting. Some of the repercussions are that fans chose not to participate anymore. That effected the bottom line, and enacted the change we see here today.

so everyone is still free to do anything they like. Fans are free to not watch, players are free to break their leagues rules.

No they're not. They do not have every right to protest. Never have. Never will.

What part of the 'Gov't shall not infringe' do you not understand?? Rather simple.

I think the first amendment covers that.

Once again, what part of the Gov't shall not infringe do you miss? Go ahead, call your boss a casterated, egg laying son of a frost-bitten, tree stump and then cite your 'first amendment rights.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: CorvusJackdaw

Ha! You think they’ll care about the football players? Ha Ha!

Football is just a modern day form of gladiators. No one cares about the gladiators. They just want a good show.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

I think you missed my point. I can do that, and he can fire me. I have free speech, but there are repercussions to such speech.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Like a lot of Americans, I played football in high school. You're not going to stop concussions, it's just not possible. It is a game in which the #1 common thread tying every player on the field together (except *maybe* the kickers) is direct physical contact at speed. There is more than one way to tackle someone, but each and every way to do so involves your head making heavy contact with some part of your opponent's body or the ground.

I believe American football will be driven out in my lifetime. Once we see the massive court cases, lawsuits, and refusal of insurance coverage, we will start seeing high schools stopping the sport. Then colleges, and at that point there will no longer be a player base for the NFL to draw from and they will close shop. Soccer will likely replace football in the "Big 4" in this country (and that's coming from someone who HATES soccer).

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Who is being forced to do anything?

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Not forced patriotism, forced acknowledgement of the fact that they are there because of the fans and, as a result, they are expected to do what the fans expect them to do.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: XAnarchistX

Blaming? No. Again, this is their job. It is not a social platform. That is for their own time.

As far as the parents, I was giving a glimpse into what 'can' happen.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Who is being forced to do anything?

i know they get to choose to stay in the locker room and i hope many do

i was addressing members here and their comments

comments like burdmanns

thats what a lot of people want. standing and showing respect even though it is not actual respect.

its a #ing joke

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Concussions? It's football. Injuries happen. That is your job. If you do not want to take the risk give back to 4 million a year and go get a job at Home Depot.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Not forced patriotism, forced acknowledgement of the fact that they are there because of the fans and, as a result, they are expected to do what the fans expect them to do.

you said

EVERY player should be on the field, standing, respecting the flag during the anthem

sorry i typed patriotism instead of respect.

i thought the fans expected them to play football.
you mean people buy tickets to watch these people stand for the anthem and show 'respect' for the flag?
really.

link   

originally posted by: redmage

It's sad that you would say silly things like that, then act as if he's not intelligent in the same sentence. Kind of shows a lack of intellect.

He didn't need to be president to attack the NFL, but having such support certainly didn't hurt. Correlation is not causation, and his lack of emotional maturity has nothing to do with his intelligence. There's a reason EQ an IQ are different concepts. Your straw man arguments kinda show a lack of intellect when it comes to constructing logical arguments.

I am confused now. Was Trump smart for enacting change in the NFL with just one sentence, or was he dumb for being able to enact change in the NFL with just one sentence?

Why should anyone have to choose? He's duart... or would it be smumb?

Seriously, in this regard I think Trump caught an updraft and rode it for awhile. Not saying he didn't 100% believe in the message he stated on the topic, but I think he's one of those "finger on the pulse of populist opinion" wizzes who realized the kneeling issue was about to boil over and the league was about to see a measurable number of fans say "we've had enough of your BS, millionares who's only reason for being on TV is your ability to catch, throw, run, or hit" and he roped that storm. Personally speaking, I stopped watching middle of the prior season and Kapernick's sideline act was only a piece of why... the league isn't fun anymore, Goodell sucks, the rule changes suck, etc. I probably won't watch again until Goodell is gone, and even then maybe not.

I don't think Trump was responsible for the decision, I was just commenting on the irony of a post where Trump was said to have enacted revenge to achieve this goal, but was a man child because of it. If he was that damn smart, I'd think he deserved at least recognition for such a thing. Talk about 4d chess.

link   
Meh.....Didn't care when people were taking a knee. Don't care now that they are standing and not taking a knee. It is a sports game. Nothing more nothing less. I watch when I want, how I want, because I enjoy the sport and can make up my own mind without having other men tell me how to think.

Its seems to me, that people on both sides get offended too easily. Bunch of little pansies chicken little's everywhere.

Probably just offended someone right now.

But hey, at least I am not one of those weak willed chumps who burned their NFL jerseys, but jumped right back on the bandwagon when their teams were in the playoffs.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Forced? It is only forced if you do not have patriotism or respect of your country.

I mean, why must I be 'forced' to share bathrooms with transgenders, why should I be 'forced' to bake a cake for gay, why must I be 'forced' to allow people in my establishment who are not buying anything. THESE things are what people are more concerned about than love of country.

If there was more love of country and respect we would not have half the social issues now we do.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   

It seems like what the fans wanted. There were enough of them making their voices heard that the NFL seems to have listened to them.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Respect, as in deference. It's fine, I'm in no way surprised that you don't understand it.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join