It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On Beauty

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I love beautiful things, music and sound, images, nature, feelings, people, touch and textures ..., it's endless and everything is beautiful to someone, inherently!

I love what Marcus Aurelius had to say on beauty!

Everything in any way beautiful derives its beauty from itself, and asks nothing beyond itself, inherent and self-sufficient: praise is no part of it. At any rate, praise does not make anything better or worse. This applies even to the popular conception of beauty, as in material things or works of art. So does the truly beautiful need anything beyond itself? No more than law, no more than truth, no more than kindness or integrity. Which of these things derives its beauty from praise, or withers under criticism? Does an emerald lose its quality if it is not praised? And what of gold, ivory, purple, a lyre, a dagger, a flower, a bush?

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
Nothing truly beautiful ever asks for attention. The entire “isness” of beauty is wrapped up in that one statement.

Woah, love it!

Thanks for adding this gem to the discussion.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: valiant

Great Aurelius quote and I'm convinced that the more we appreciate the world around us the happier we are-- nice that you find so much to enjoy!

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Born and raised here. Cabrillo Beach and the rest of the coastline was my playground. Used to break in and explore the (decomissioned) Nike base tunnels on the upper reservation at Fort MacArthur. Fun place to grow up!

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov
a reply to: valiant

Great Aurelius quote and I'm convinced that the more we appreciate the world around us the happier we are-- nice that you find so much to enjoy!

Wholeheartedly agree with you, it's humbling to sit back and think, and appreciate the world around us and things in it. That gets lost in everyday life and the stresses we have and all the politics.

I'm guilty of getting lost in the negative, but when you have those moments, it puts the whole picture in focus and I love that!

edit on VpmWednesday04pm531 by valiant because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: valiant

I'm guilty of getting lost in the negative, but when you have those moments, it puts the whole picture in focus and I love that!

You and me both
Crazy how many times I need to remind myself to enjoy the best life has to offer which can get lost in the face of all the not-so-nice.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Beauty is all around us and such a gift.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   

The love for your children is what I find beautiful

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: nofear39

The love of a father for his child is beauty indeed! Thanks for the touching photo, just lovely.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Thanks pal x

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov First of all, I want to thank you, zosimov, for a wonderful and uplifting thread. In fact, your own inner beauty shines out in your writings and what you shared with us.

As a baby, the first word I learned was the word "pretty". I find beauty in nature everywhere. Yesterday, I felt such joy in the spring flowers and the sounds and sights of the fluffy bumble bees busily buzzing around for nectar.

An observation that I have made, is that it is a sort of ever new joy each time I appreciate the ephemeral beauty of a flower. I don't have the same joy of looking at many man made objects, they become routine after awhile. There are exceptions, however. I don't ever tire of a really inspired piece of artwork that someone has made with love and attention. Beauty is a very interesting thing, it is best viewed in a state of absolute presence.

edit on 24-5-2018 by pointessa because: typo

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov
Thank you for posting the picture. You live in a beautiful place!!!

I don't though. I moved 20 years ago for economic reasons. Home is more beautiful when you miss it.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: pointessa

Hi pointessa, thank you for adding your own lovely voice to the chorus! I am just amazed (but not surprised) at how the very discussion/contemplation of beauty brought out what is so beautiful about this community (and humanity in general). A very good reminder to myself to be more disciplined with my own thinking, and to spend more time on the more beneficial subjects.

I loved your comment, especially loved your first word on this earth, "pretty," sweet. My son's first word was "look!" which I also loved (the interactive and demonstrative nature of it). And I agree with him and you! I think we should look more for the beauty of things.

Finally, I wanted to address your comment of the ephemeral beauty of a flower-- so funny you mentioned that particular word also-- I snapped that pic in the OP of that flower after waiting all summer for it to bloom, only to find it completely withered less than two days later. Somehow its beauty was even more meaningful due to its fragile and temporal nature.

Anyway, thank you for your really beautiful comment

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Hey Lady! You brought me out of lurker mode with this thread. Thank you for that! I just wanted to add if I may that beauty can be found in adversity as well. The power/fierceness of a natural disaster, a broken bottle on the street, the homeless person in their element...beauty is not defined by what is presented to you. It is how you wish to view what's presented. At least for me that is what I've noticed. Perception is everything. No, I'm not saying that adversity is beautiful, I am saying that tough scenarios can have beautiful moments within them. As can the simplest things in life. Here are a few of my favorite gifs/pics..

Thanks for reminding me to seek out beauty in everything!

blend

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: blend57

Hi blend!! So glad you're back-- You bring an abundance beauty to this site, so it's quite fitting that this thread would draw you out.

You are absolutely right and your comment shows that beauty has depth to it, and is not a mere surface quality.

Thank you for all of that gorgeous/serene imagery. I hope your day follows suit.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Loving the beauty of this thread!

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Portside

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I just came across this stunningly beautiful rendition of a song by my favorite punk band, the Descendents. A powerful and uplifting tune, these two take it to a completely different place.

You can here the original version HERE if you like

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join