It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On Beauty

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Hi ATS!!

I'm sure I'm not the only person here who loves beautiful things or who actively seeks out beauty (hence my interest in music, literature and the arts). While what is beautiful to one might not be beautiful to another, most of us can agree that a ravishing sight can bring us joy and activate the feel good center (amygdala) in our brain.
Some beautiful things to enjoy:

While I can say that I am an indisputable admirer of beauty, I have encountered some interesting philosophy regarding beauty which I would love to discuss with you if you have any ideas to share on the nature of beauty, or the inherent nature of each individual thing.

Here is an excellent question I found (link to site under quote) regarding beauty:

The poet John Keats once wrote (in his poem "Ode on a Grecian Urn"),
Beauty is truth, truth beauty,---that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.

By contrast, Plato (in The Republic) warns of poetry's power to make a falsehood seem true, by beautifying it.

What, then, is the relationship between beauty, as achieved by the artist, and truth?

atc4.bentley.edu...
One of my favorite chapters in literature, Moby Dick's "The Whiteness of the Whale," expands on Plato's suggestion of beauty as artiface in the following passage (relevent portion in bold):

Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way? Or is it, that as in essence whiteness is not so much a color as the visible absence of color, and at the same time the concrete of all colors; is it for these reasons that there is such a dumb blankness, full of meaning, in a wide landscape of snows - a colorless, all- color of atheism from which we shrink? And when we consider that other theory of the natural philosophers, that all other earthly hues - every stately or lovely emblazoning - the sweet tinges of sunset skies and woods; yea, and the gilded velvets of butterflies, and the butterfly cheeks of young girls; all these are but subtile deceits, not actually inherent in substances, but only laid on from without; so that all deified Nature absolutely paints like the harlot, whose allurements cover nothing but the charnel-house within; and when we proceed further, and consider that the mystical cosmetic which produces every one of her hues, the great principle of light, for ever remains white or colorless in itself, and if operating without medium upon matter, would touch all objects, even tulips and roses, with its own blank tinge - pondering all this, the palsied universe lies before us a leper; and like wilful travellers in Lapland, who refuse to wear colored and coloring glasses upon their eyes, so the wretched infidel gazes himself blind at the monumental white shroud that wraps all the prospect around him. And of all these things the Albino Whale was the symbol. Wonder ye then at the fiery hunt?

So, friends, what are your thoughts on beauty?

I would posit that true beauty is the visible manifestation of a being's soul, which is why I can find beauty in traditionally unappealing things and can find traditionally "beautiful" people and things quite ugly if the soul behind does not match.

That said, I hope you enjoy something beautiful today! I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on beauty.
edit on 23-5-2018 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I will admit to not giving much thought to the concept of beauty, other than I THINK I know what is and isn't beautiful, at least in my own subjective way.

Though, I think we can all agree...3rd image from the top...She's just gorgeous.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

I think one of the most beautiful things in nature is a still night after a big snowfall.

I've also driven through a nearby forest fire at night. It is beautiful in a weird way to see all the shadows and contrast and colors.

edit on 23-5-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Well thank you so much for taking the time out then to consider!

I absolutely agree that lady is so lovely she even makes the dilapidated scene around her look gorgeous.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Fire and snow are two very lovely (and opposite, almost) things, you're absolutely right!

One of the most beautiful moments in my life was lying out in this snow (took this the next day) and watching the Northern Lights dance.

Thanks for the picture
Beauty can come in terrifying forms.
edit on 23-5-2018 by zosimov because: grammar

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I enjoyed your beautiful things and shall add one more

To me anything that brings you joy, whether visual, smell, a situation, a feeling, a sound etc. could be described as beautiful.

edit on 23-5-2018 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

I wish you could see the smile you put on my face, thank you FauxMulder for that lovely response.

Also very much enjoyed your thoughts on beauty=joy.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   

hmmm... have I seen this before?

my pic.

shall I add?

my pic..

Thanks Zosimov

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Try this. I'm not talking about the photo.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I absolutely agree that lady is so lovely she even makes the dilapidated scene around her look gorgeous.

I was just thinking that.

Which is both a testament to this lovely woman AND to photography as an art form.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Love Lake Tahoe.

Gotta take the family there this weekend.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Love Lake Tahoe.

Gotta take the family there this weekend.

Ever go camping or hiking in Washoe Valley? That's where I got my obsession with getting lost in forests

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Hiking yes, but not much camping.

I like to do my camping east of Fallon near the NAS bombing range. Those mountains are pristine and most people are too....soft....to get there.
edit on 23 5 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Thank you for the gorgeous pictures. I've seen your work before and you're a great photographer. Also... I recognize the first one!

As for that horse pic (a friend took that in Iceland),
I've posted most or all of those pics in previous threads, so most likely you have seen it here.

Thanks so much for adding to the beauty!

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Beauty is hard to define.

I think extreme metal is a thing of beauty, not for it's lyrics but for the talent of the musicians behind it, and a week ago I watched an anime movie called Howls' Moving Castle' and I swear someone was chopping onions as I watched; it was a thing of beauty and I'm not ashamed to say it brought tears to my eyes.

Beauty is something your admire.
edit on 23-5-2018 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-5-2018 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

I agree that metal can be a beautiful thing! Doom might be my favorite, but I definitely appreciate many types (without being an afficianado).

And just looked up the movie you mentioned--it looks incredible (stunning art). I'll have to find it, thanks

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   

I agree that the best type of camping is as far away from other campsites as possible!

I'm too soft usually to get to these,
but there are a few I've found which don't require major treks.

Absolutely the most beautiful camp site I made was earned by a 10 mile hike through the New Mexican desert and ravines in Bandelier National Monument, no-one but my small crew and I and the cool night sky.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   
If the path is beautiful, let us not ask where it leads.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Ohhh, interesting can sound both appealing and ominous, like a trail of breadcrumbs in the midst of a sinister forest....

Beauty has certainly led many astray.
It also is one thing which brings value to life, and worth following for its sake alone at times.

edit on 23-5-2018 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Absolutely the most beautiful camp site I made was earned by a 10 mile hike through the New Mexican desert and ravines in Bandelier National Monument, no-one but my small crew and I and the cool night sky.

I walked 2 mi. north of old 550 and had the most enchanting experience ever. Transcendence and transformed!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join